Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777 First vs Business - major differences? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:02 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by brp
Hmmm...a moderator that can't read what's in the posts, eh?

(I believe that the TOS allows poking fun at the new mods...or it should, anyway).

Cheers.
Only people from Costa Rica are allowed to do so, so that's okay.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd use an upgrade cert to move from J to F but the mileage plus the co-pay is sorta pricey. If the OP can sleep in AA NGBC and has no SWUs, then I'd save my money.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:59 pm

Speaking as one who's enjoyed being tucked in by the cuties in the front cabin on the likes of SQ, CX and [the mature professional staff] on QF, BA, and AA, I was pleasantly surprised by how usable AA's biz beds are. For money, that's what we choose for TATL (actually we count on u/g's and tend to book B-class since that seems to trump all but the exp's). For miles, first class. The difference between biz and first is small, imo.

AA's international 777 first is fine, but someone is being cheapskate foolish by skipping things that *everyone* includes in the First cabin, like pj's and a good duvet. So they save $200 (I don't really know that) and in so doing mark in stone "we're second best". Dumb
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Speaking as one who's enjoyed being tucked in by the cuties in the front cabin on the likes of SQ, CX and [the mature professional staff] on QF, BA, and AA, I was pleasantly surprised by how usable AA's biz beds are. For money, that's what we choose for TATL (actually we count on u/g's and tend to book B-class since that seems to trump all but the exp's). For miles, first class. The difference between biz and first is small, imo.

AA's international 777 first is fine, but someone is being cheapskate foolish by skipping things that *everyone* includes in the First cabin, like pj's and a good duvet. So they save $200 (I don't really know that) and in so doing mark in stone "we're second best". Dumb
Let's not confuse "second best" with "second tier." By all accounts, CX is "second best," after SQ, AA is deep into the second tier.

As to PJs, I'm affraid it'll take someone stripping down to their shorts explaining to the flight attendant that they can't possibly be expected to sleep in their clothes and, unlike XXX airline, no sleepwear was provided. I'd pay (more than the standard fare) to be on this flight. Not an F fare, but I'd pay none the less (maybe an extra 5k miles ).
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by JumboD
Let's not confuse "second best" with "second tier." By all accounts, CX is "second best," after SQ, AA is deep into the second tier.

As to PJs, I'm affraid it'll take someone stripping down to their shorts explaining to the flight attendant that they can't possibly be expected to sleep in their clothes and, unlike XXX airline, no sleepwear was provided. I'd pay (more than the standard fare) to be on this flight. Not an F fare, but I'd pay none the less (maybe an extra 5k miles ).
"Second tier" is pretty harsh. AA will certainly majorly disappoint anyone whose expectations were shaped by SQ/CX, but (imo, of course) are in the same league with BA, just far down in the standings. Staff is just as good on average and the "suite" has its merits. Re food and wine, neither match the quality and service of a good land-locked restaurant, and I don't expect it.

I generally bring BA pj's along on AA flights; no crew has ever commented. And I think I've seen guys in boxers and a tee shirt. Ugly, but not enough to get notice back in the boardroom.

It's also somewhat interesting that biz pax on AA mostly don't change out of street clothes.

I
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I personally don't care for AA's international F service. The food is the same as J and the seats are a bit long in the tooth. Without a mattress and/or duvet to sleep on, the seats are lumpy and aren't particularly comfortable. Flight attendants are hit or miss; my only time flying International AA F was PEK-ORD this past January and I had an abysmally ambivalent flight attendant. I don't love the NGBC J seats, but would certainly not waste my money or miles upgrading from those into F.

Oh... and I'd characterize AA's F as "second best" (maybe) in the "second tier." First tier being many foreign carriers (SQ, CX), second tier being BA, UA, LH, AA.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by emma dog
I personally don't care for AA's international F service. The food is the same as J and the seats are a bit long in the tooth. Without a mattress and/or duvet to sleep on, the seats are lumpy and aren't particularly comfortable. Flight attendants are hit or miss; my only time flying International AA F was PEK-ORD this past January and I had an abysmally ambivalent flight attendant. I don't love the NGBC J seats, but would certainly not waste my money or miles upgrading from those into F.

Oh... and I'd characterize AA's F as "second best" (maybe) in the "second tier." First tier being many foreign carriers (SQ, CX), second tier being BA, UA, LH, AA.
Honestly, I'd probably rank them third within tier two. Based on experience, I'd rank them below BA and based on anecdotal evidence I'd rank them below LH (particularly if you are on the reconfigured 744 with a separate bed). Not sure how they stand compared to UA's new suites, but if someone said AA was better I'd certainly believe it. And no experience with LX either, someone else will have to comment. Oh yea, and then there's AF, the "also ran" of int'l F. Based on what I've heard that product loses to some J products.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by emma dog
I personally don't care for AA's international F service. The food is the same as J and the seats are a bit long in the tooth. Without a mattress and/or duvet to sleep on, the seats are lumpy and aren't particularly comfortable.
Thank you. I'm the OP and that was my recollection from that FRA-DFW flight I took so many years ago.
If I get an op upgd, I wonder if the FAs would have an spare duvet for me.

Back to my original question, it seems almost unanimous that is not really worth it to upgrade from J to F for miles+copay but it would be ok burning a SWU.

I will stick to J and possibly upgrade the return from Y.

Thanks everybody.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:16 pm
ts3

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, BAEC, SPG, UA, AF
Originally Posted by vail
In the AA fleet there is no better aircraft than the 777 and there is no better seat than the first class suite.
To me it is a no brainer and I will fly the 777 first class whenever possible.
On AA it does not get any better than this---and I like it so much that I gave up being an EXP last year just to use miles 4 times to fly first on the 777.
+1 ^

As with others, I agree that AA is 2nd tier, and 2nd place in that tier, too, behind BA (in terms of Oneworld carriers). But still, if you are flying AA, the 777 is the best of the lot, and F is better still. I'm kind of bored with AA J. The NGBC is about as Next Generation as Star Trek: TNG is today. It's been a long, long time since it was "new" or "next".

Last edited by ts3; Jun 8, 2011 at 1:23 pm
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
This is probably a really dumb question, but I've seen the phrase "coupon collection" referenced in the past and maybe I'm doing the search badly, but can't find anything on it. So, what is "coupon collection?"
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by flyforsports
This is probably a really dumb question, but I've seen the phrase "coupon collection" referenced in the past and maybe I'm doing the search badly, but can't find anything on it. So, what is "coupon collection?"
Make that The Coupon Connection.

Not a board that I ever go to personally, but you may not know about it because you haven't met the access requirements. Thread discussing access requirements here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...uirements.html
The TalkBoard recommends that access to The Coupon Connection be restricted to logged-in members who have been members at least 180 days and whose post count is at least 180.

Last edited by TheDudeAbides; Jun 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm Reason: provide link
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Ah, thanks, Clears it up. Admit I was intrigued because our company has cut back travel a lot and I'm flying to Wimbledon next week from SNA in coach the whole way desperately hoping for a miles/co-pay upgrade and not optimistic and this coupon connection thing intrigued me. Look like my butt will be in a powerless coach seat on the 777 both ways, ORD to LHR July 16 and back LHR to ORD July 5. Think I'd better stock up on Ambien.It's been awhile I've been in coach that long.Ugh. But covering Wimbledon is worth it. I think! At least the paper is still sending someone!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:26 am

[QUOTE=JumboD;16522821...snip...
As to PJs, I'm affraid it'll take someone stripping down to their shorts explaining to the flight attendant that they can't possibly be expected to sleep in their clothes and, unlike XXX airline, no sleepwear was provided. I'd pay (more than the standard fare) to be on this flight. Not an F fare, but I'd pay none the less (maybe an extra 5k miles ).[/QUOTE]
You may have missed your chance:http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110610...oncrimeoffbeat which reads in part: "A German passenger stripped naked on an Iberia flight from Madrid to Frankfurt, forcing the pilot to turn the plane around so he could be removed, the airline said Friday."
Old May 21, 2012, 11:37 am

Currently in business jfk - lhr - jfk. Worth it to change to first class?

I'm currently booked on the business class for both leg of the trip to/from JFK/LHR, but wondering what is the difference betwen the business class vs. first class. I might change to the first class for one leg just to experience it, but is it worth it?

How is the food/snack options in the business class on flights to and from JFK/LHR? Also is there an individual TV screen with a decent movie options?
Old May 21, 2012, 11:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Lots of info on basic stuff like this in the FAQ (where it says "Please check here first").

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.