Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777 First vs Business - major differences? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JimAtTheBeach
Clearly you get more space in F, but food is exactly the same--take a look at the menus, precisely the same meals, albeit plated differently.
Can we try to use precise language so as not to give people incorrect information?

This applies to main courses ONLY. The rest of the meal is different.

IMO, main courses are the worst part of any airline meal (doesn't matter the airline, some are just worse than others), so this would not be a factor. I usually skip the main course altogether, as I did today on AA289 in F.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
The service very likely will be similarly bad/grumpy/unhelpful as normally on AA. The food is very similar (just somewhat bigger plates and a little nicer setup in F).
The main difference is the seat: really flat with reasonable privacy and space and nobody to climb over/climbing over you. Travelling alone I can sleep fairly well in AA F for several hours, but in J usually don't sleep well. I would spend the extra miles. If you travel with your partner you are close enough on the middle seats to talk, but holding hands is difficult.
Actually, I find the J seats more private than the F seats. When the F seat is reclined to full flat, there is no dividing wall between you and aisle and, owing to the angle of the seats, your head is exposed to the aisle. Not a huge deal to me, but the J seats, with their fixed dividers, offer more privacy, IMO.

As others have said, I have had only a few instances of AA FAs behaving in the manner described above. Today, I was looked after by a fabulous 44 year veteran of the airline on AA 289 in F.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:20 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
You now get a Bigger wine glass in First^
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by UncleDude
You now get a Bigger wine glass in First^
How do they compare to the size of the tumblers? I find that wine in the tumblers coupled with a fairly attentive crew to be an enjoyable pairing.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:45 am

F is definitely worth the cost of the miles. As noted above, I'd suggest trying to avoid row 4A/J. I was just in 4A on JFK-NRT and it was a much worse seat than the others due to the galley noise. That said, I'd happily take 4A/J over any J seat.

As the seat lies perfectly flat, I actually found it more comfortable to sleep opposite of how one sits which kept my head away from the aisle (and farther from the galley).
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:26 am

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I have over 1,000,000 BIS miles on AA. I can count on one hand the number of AA FAs I've encountered who fit this description.
Ditto...Personal experience is that people bring the attitudes upon themselves. But, that's just my experience
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
I'd personally take the F seat. You and the Mrs can actually face each other for dinner.....if you like that kind of thing. You'll be able to use the Flagship Lounge for a few glasses of bubbly before you board
Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I've gone into the CX F lounge in LHR on an AA F ticket no problem. (I'm not Emerald)
Originally Posted by BLG
How would you compare the CX F lounge in LHR to AA F lounge -- I'm flying F LAX-LHR and return in a few weeks?
Originally Posted by RxCapt
This thread has a lot of useful info comparing the OW lounges in T3.
Originally Posted by chanp
As you will see in that thread, most will agree that you should try some of the other OW lounges before you go to the AC F lounge.
Yeah, I didn't even bother going into the AA F lounge. In fact I don't think I've been in there since the CX lounge opened up a few years ago. It used to be terrible (for an F lounge), but I think it's undergoing renovations.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yeah, I didn't even bother going into the AA F lounge. In fact I don't think I've been in there since the CX lounge opened up a few years ago. It used to be terrible (for an F lounge), but I think it's undergoing renovations.
By November the FC lounge inside the T3 BA lounge should be open and probably will be the FC lounge of choice over AA, CX and JL.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
How do they compare to the size of the tumblers? I find that wine in the tumblers coupled with a fairly attentive crew to be an enjoyable pairing.

Much, much bigger! The new wine glasses are actually like the size of a real wine glass. They are available exclusively on 3-class flights operated with 772 and 762 equipment.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jakuda
By November the FC lounge inside the T3 BA lounge should be open and probably will be the FC lounge of choice over AA, CX and JL.
Yeah, but good luck getting in unless you're flying BA. The lounge will be consistently "overcrowded."
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jakuda
I've been seeing this a lot, and probably yes, most will go over to check out the new digs.

But I have to say that between the Veuve and the dim sum, I'd much prefer the CX lounge to the champagne and finger sandwiches on offer in the BA lounge.

Truth be told, I would be loyal to any lounge which serves Moet Nectar Imperial or a good Rose bubbly. But for me the dim sum gives the extra nudge to CX.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by RTW4
IMHO.. THERE IS NO COMPARISON... F ALL THE WAY.. The personal suite is worth all the miles... I also feel that the meal service is far superior...
Could not agree more. IMHO, The difference (seat/food), is huge. F all the way!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
If the 99% of the other posts aren't convincing enough, I too have flown in both cabins and I would take the F cabin 8 days a week and twice on sunday over the J cabin. Significantly better seat, much more intimate cabin, more personalized service, and a lot of food choices. The wine selection is allegedly an upgrade, but I have yet to be blown away by any wine in any AA cabin.

Since you mention miles are not an issue, why is there even a question about it?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 5:33 pm

Difference? Yes... big difference? Not really. However, you may as well take the F cabin for the few extra miles it costs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.