Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777 First vs Business - major differences? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:09 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
I just made the same choice on the same route last week for myself and Mrs. BLG and for me it was a no-brainer. I am perfectly happy in the J seat for domestic flights when I rarely sleep. But for LAX-LHR, where I'm used to the far-better lie-flat that you get on BA in Club World (J), it was an easy choice -- We went for F so we would have lie flat beds and be able to sleep, particularly on the LAX-LHR leg.

And I will also chime in that I have encountered very few bad attitude FAs in recent years. Most are somewhere between good and excellent.

Last edited by BLG; Sep 6, 2009 at 11:18 am Reason: Add comment re: FAx
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold,Marriott PP,Hilton Diamond, National EX, Hertz PC
Thanks for your help, just booked the flight in F. If it was just me I guess J would have been fine but need to keep the Mrs. happy to make up for all the time I am on the road.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:43 am
BLG

Originally Posted by jm62
Thanks for your help, just booked the flight in F. If it was just me I guess J would have been fine but need to keep the Mrs. happy to make up for all the time I am on the road.
A wise choice! ^
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
...and if the other posts don't seal the deal, don't forget the ICE CREAM SUNDAES! On the 777, made-to-order sundaes are available in F only.

In both cabins, you will get to enjoy the newly-designed plates/servingware, though you will see more of them in F (because F features plated-on-board entrees, separate appetizer and salad courses, etc).

Also, when I recently flew to NRT and back in F on the 777, we received separate packages containing AA logo slippers in addition to the red amenity kits. I don't know if it is something exclusive to the Japan market, and I also don't know if they were available in J as well. But it was a very nice touch!
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
You wont regret it over the J seat. Give us a trip report w/ pics when you get back.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO it is worth paying the modest premium for an F reward over a J award. It's probably not worth paying the fare differential on a paid fare and arguably not even worth the mileage required for an upgrade on all but the longest flights.

But I will add that I believe the food is definitely better in F. Yes, the entrees are the same choices as in J but I think greater care goes into the preparation, plating and presentation and it does make a difference. The other courses are also more substantial than in J, IME.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Don't forget that you will be able to access the Flagship lounge as well as other oneworld First Class lounges in LHR!
Old Sep 6, 2009, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by RxCapt
Don't forget that you will be able to access the Flagship lounge as well as other oneworld First Class lounges in LHR!
Flagship Lounge, yes. Other oneworld First lounges, no, not unless there's Emerald status involved. OP appears to be a Sapphire.

If you book a center pair, your seats can rotate to face each other for dining.

Your friend's points about J might potentially make sense for flights from JFK, but the DFW run is long enough to really enjoy the difference.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by martin33
Flagship Lounge, yes. Other oneworld First lounges, no, not unless there's Emerald status involved.
According to the oneworld website, lounge access eligibility is based on flying on a same day oneworld operated flight AND status OR class of travel.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I don't know if it is something exclusive to the Japan market, and I also don't know if they were available in J as well.
No slippers in J LAX > NRT.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the oneworld website, lounge access eligibility is based on flying on a same day oneworld operated flight AND status OR class of travel.
I've gone into the CX F lounge in LHR on an AA F ticket no problem. (I'm not Emerald)
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:34 pm
BLG

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I've gone into the CX F lounge in LHR on an AA F ticket no problem. (I'm not Emerald)
How would you compare the CX F lounge in LHR to AA F lounge -- I'm flying F LAX-LHR and return in a few weeks?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by BLG
How would you compare the CX F lounge in LHR to AA F lounge -- I'm flying F LAX-LHR and return in a few weeks?
This thread has a lot of useful info comparing the OW lounges in T3.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by BLG
As you will see in that thread, most will agree that you should try some of the other OW lounges before you go to the AC F lounge.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:31 pm
BLG

This thread has a lot of useful info comparing the OW lounges in T3.
Great thread! Thanks -- as the next poster suggested -- I will be sure to give myself the time to take a good "lounge tour."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.