Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777 First vs Business - major differences? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I've flown J (domestic) on the 777 and was very happy with the seat and was able to sleep with no problem.

My wife & I will be flying F on the 777 in a couple weeks FRA-DFW. I'm glad I read this post because I had planned on us watching a couple movies on my laptop but it sounds like we'll be too far apart for that...am I right? If so that's fine and we'll just watch the movies on the IFE but was curious if that will be the case.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jw713
My wife & I will be flying F on the 777 in a couple weeks FRA-DFW. I'm glad I read this post because I had planned on us watching a couple movies on my laptop but it sounds like we'll be too far apart for that...am I right? If so that's fine and we'll just watch the movies on the IFE but was curious if that will be the case.
Yes, I imagine that the seating configuration and construction would make it difficult if not impossible for two people to "share" a laptop.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:54 am

Programs: EXP 2M, HH Dmd, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by noam
F is definitely worth the cost of the miles. As noted above, I'd suggest trying to avoid row 4A/J. I was just in 4A on JFK-NRT and it was a much worse seat than the others due to the galley noise. That said, I'd happily take 4A/J over any J seat.

As the seat lies perfectly flat, I actually found it more comfortable to sleep opposite of how one sits which kept my head away from the aisle (and farther from the galley).
What about the two middle seats in row 4? Are they bad too?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by icefire1
They are forward of the 4A/J seats so don't have the same gallery noise and light issues.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by icefire1
I've flown in the Row 4 window seats many times. I tend to make last minute changes to my return flights from Asia (the joys of business travel) and those are typically the only window seats left. With the Bose headsets or earplugs and an eye mask, I've never had an issue with noise and light from those seats when sleeping. It does get a little loud at the beginning of the flight (breaking the ice) and during the meal service, but it is not too bad. As a solo traveler, I'd rather be in Row 4 than a middle seat.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by PresRDC
I've flown in the Row 4 window seats many times. I tend to make last minute changes to my return flights from Asia (the joys of business travel) and those are typically the only window seats left. With the Bose headsets or earplugs and an eye mask, I've never had an issue with noise and light from those seats when sleeping. It does get a little loud at the beginning of the flight (breaking the ice) and during the meal service, but it is not too bad. As a solo traveler, I'd rather be in Row 4 than a middle seat.
Agreed. My preference order would go:

2A/J, 3A/J
1A/J
4A/J
2D/G, 3D/G, 4D/G
1D/G
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Agreed. My preference order would go:

2A/J, 3A/J
1A/J
4A/J
2D/G, 3D/G, 4D/G
1D/G
Seeing as the prima donna pilots steal both 1A and 2A on the NRT, PVG and DEL flights, my preference is:

1J
2J, 3A/J
4A/J
Another Flight.

I prefer the J side over the A side because of the better views of Manhattan when you arrive at JFK from NRT.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
F all the way. The difference in "price" between F and J make it a no brainer.

AA FC are some of the best seats in the sky short of the SE Asian carriers. I had a snooty purser yesterday (LHR-DFW) but the rest of the FAs were quite friendly.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:56 pm

I prefer the J side over the A side because of the better views of Manhattan when you arrive at JFK from NRT.
same thing for normal-weather morning arrivals at LHR. grand views along the Thames from the J side....
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:20 am

Seeing as the prima donna pilots steal both 1A and 2A on the NRT, PVG and DEL flights, my preference is:

1J
2J, 3A/J
4A/J
Another Flight.

Yeah... I can't understand why the pilots need to take two window seats, but I'm sure that has been discussed a lot.

The loads have been low enough on the flights I've taken that I would likely take a middle seat, but I do agree that they are much farther down on the list than the windows.

I've only gone JFK-NRT and not the other way around (as it is the start of a circle pacific for me).
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yeah... I can't understand why the pilots need to take two window seats, but I'm sure that has been discussed a lot.

Privacy. That's why on the 763 they get 2HJ, so there's never a seatmate. It's in their contract.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Privacy. That's why on the 763 they get 2HJ, so there's never a seatmate. It's in their contract.
How are those seats more private than taking both 1D and 1G? If they don't care to talk to their fellow pilot, they can just put up the privacy panel.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by JimAtTheBeach
The real difference comes down to space vs. miles tradeoff. Clearly you get more space in F, but food is exactly the same--take a look at the menus, precisely the same meals, albeit plated differently. Amenity kits are the same also. If miles are no object, go for F. I just did r/t to NRT in J and slept like a baby on both flights. Would F have been preferrable, sure--but J is perfectly fine if you want to conserve a bit on the miles. I'd go with the previous suggestion: J one way, F on the other to compare & contrast....
It all depends on what one finds important (hence, YMMV). You get a lot more space in F, sure, but you also get a much better seat -- it swivels, you get a massive tray plus a pop-out desk, direct aisle access, etc. Plus, as others have said, it's a fully-flat seat. In my experience, the seat and space are much better in F than J. As for the food, I find the F food significantly better than in J. You get a nice salad with your choice of veggies and a meat (usually chicken), better appetizer, separately plated main course that is less greasy than the J option, and of course the made-to-order ice cream sundae. Regarding sleeping, this is highly individualistic. Some people are able to sleep just fine in J, other have trouble even in F. Personally, while the slanted J seat makes it harder to sleep, the lack of privacy is what really does it. If I have a J window seat with no one in the aisle, I can generally get some sleep if the flight is long enough and with the aid of good ear plugs, a good eye mask, and Ambien. But F is much, much easier.

Originally Posted by NDFan
The worst thing about F on the 777 is that when sleeping, your head is right by the aisle with no protection, so you feel the draught from passersby, or even the odd skirt flapping over your head!
I would definitely NOT want to be in row 4 as your head is right by the galley curtain, so chatty FAs can be disturbing, and you can forget about sleeping when they start breakfast prep about 2 hours before landing.
(That's why I prefer CX J, because your head is as far from potential disturbance as possible.)

Also the video screens are small and very poor quality, so bring your own IFE.
(The video screens in J on 763 are actually much better than F on 777; not sure which screens are used in J on 777)
I haven't noticed a problem with my head being in the aisle in F; I think the seat shell provides some separation. But it's true that on CX your head is away from the aisle.

The video in J on the 763 is a stand-alone device that I personally don't like as much as the built-in units on the 777, but YMMV. I have found that the 777 has a lot more content; for example, typically the stand-alone units on the 767 have three episodes of some TV shows, while the 777 has three pages of episodes for each show.

Originally Posted by BLG
I just made the same choice on the same route last week for myself and Mrs. BLG and for me it was a no-brainer. I am perfectly happy in the J seat for domestic flights when I rarely sleep. But for LAX-LHR, where I'm used to the far-better lie-flat that you get on BA in Club World (J), it was an easy choice -- We went for F so we would have lie flat beds and be able to sleep, particularly on the LAX-LHR leg.

And I will also chime in that I have encountered very few bad attitude FAs in recent years. Most are somewhere between good and excellent.
I agree with both points.

Originally Posted by ESpen36
.Also, when I recently flew to NRT and back in F on the 777, we received separate packages containing AA logo slippers in addition to the red amenity kits. I don't know if it is something exclusive to the Japan market, and I also don't know if they were available in J as well. But it was a very nice touch!
I've always (going back a number of years) had AA give out slippers in F on the Japan route, because that market expects it.

Actually, I find the J seats more private than the F seats. When the F seat is reclined to full flat, there is no dividing wall between you and aisle and, owing to the angle of the seats, your head is exposed to the aisle. Not a huge deal to me, but the J seats, with their fixed dividers, offer more privacy, IMO.
A window seat in J with no one in the aisle seat offers a lot of privacy, but that's hard to get. Otherwise, J has no privacy, and that's a big reason why it's hard for me to sleep.

As the seat lies perfectly flat, I actually found it more comfortable to sleep opposite of how one sits which kept my head away from the aisle (and farther from the galley).
Interesting idea. I'd never thought of it.

Originally Posted by Doghound
Difference? Yes... big difference? Not really. However, you may as well take the F cabin for the few extra miles it costs
It all depends on what one finds important, but to me, there is a significant difference.

Originally Posted by jw713
I think if you take two center seats, you can put a laptop on the divider between you, a little in front of you, and both be able to see it.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold
First vs Business Seats on AA 777's to china

Sorry I am new to this board so pardon if I am posting incorrectly or in the wrong place - kindly redirect me to the right place.

I have flown the AA 777 new business seat that most people loath. However, I am petite, and short, and due to back problems find the adjustable seat to be extremely good for preventing back problems. The seat in general does have its drawbacks as noted by many but that is not my question. For the seats on the first class suite, can the seat be adjusted the same way as the business where there are about 10 different settings you can make? THey look like they just mostly recline flat but do not have a foot rest with all the adjustments. If my feet don't touch the floor and have no foot rest then that is bad for me. One review said they are comfortable reclining but not all that comfortable sitting up. Has anyone flown in both who can give me a desciption of how the first class seat operates?

Also, I have noted a lot of unhappy first class passengers due to level of service, it is perhaps just as good to stay in business and save my miles for something else if the service and comfort is that poor? I really don't mind the business seats - would just like the "spread out" room in first but since I"m traveling with a companion we may not like being so far apart.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:23 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
Welcome to Flyertalk !
i have had wonderful flights on the 777 in first. The suite in first is one of the best in the sky. The service is just fine as is the food. you will enjoy it.
if there is availability and you have the miles, go for it. Much different experience than J class business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.