Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777 First vs Business - major differences? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.5 MM, AA Concierge Key
Originally Posted by landrewstx1
Thanks for the info. I know that the first suite would be so much better than business from a space and general comfort standpoint, however, all that comfort will be for naught if I am crippled by back problems when I arrive (DFW-PVG). Do you think the seat adjusts the same way that the business seat does? It looks like it doesn' t have the little thing to rest your feet on. I especially have to use the little popout foot rest thing since I am short and then can adjust that with the whole seat about a million different ways, keeping my back very happy (in the business seat). Any other back sufferers out there know what I am talking about and if I can adjust the first seat the same way?

Also, I see that most people prefer 1DG last, do you think it would be noisier or less than 4DG - those are the only choices left (two travelers). The FA seem to congregate near 4D and I would think that would be noisy but maybe you have the same thing at 1DG. Others have said 1DG is noisy from the galley but the galley at 4 is bigger.
I have back issues too. While the NGBC seats are better on the back while in any seated position, the F seats are much easier on the back while in sleep mode. So if you plan on getting some in flight ZZZ's, I'd splurge and go with F. Other than a little extra personal space in the suites, F doesn't have too much going for it that cannot be found in J. The menu and wine are more or less the same (F gets a few minor extras from time to time - like a cheese plate), but I've never felt as if I've missed out on too much being in J.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, MR PLT
Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer
I have back issues too. While the NGBC seats are better on the back while in any seated position, the F seats are much easier on the back while in sleep mode. So if you plan on getting some in flight ZZZ's, I'd splurge and go with F. Other than a little extra personal space in the suites, F doesn't have too much going for it that cannot be found in J. The menu and wine are more or less the same (F gets a few minor extras from time to time - like a cheese plate), but I've never felt as if I've missed out on too much being in J.
I am so grateful for this thread. ^ I've often wondered what the difference between the 777 J and F was and I'm glad to know, for me, personally, I'm not missing much.

I had this idea that the people in F were getting Cristal and lap dances and all sorts of extra goodies.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:45 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by AGuyAndADogInDFW
I am so grateful for this thread. ^ I've often wondered what the difference between the 777 J and F was and I'm glad to know, for me, personally, I'm not missing much.

I had this idea that the people in F were getting Cristal and lap dances and all sorts of extra goodies.
LOL, if that was the case, I think some of us would be up there more often
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:02 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
I think at the end of the day it boils down to one important question: If you sleep well in the J seat, then the upgrade to F isn't that big a deal. But if you don't sleep well in the J seat (Me!), and you care about sleeping, then F is a big upgrade for a 10+ hour overnight flight.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
There are a lot of threads comparing F and J; this is one of the shorter ones .

In pretty much every such thread, including this one, there are many posts where someone states a preference (based on experience or not) for one or the other, and a smaller number with specific factual information regarding one, the other or both.

If one starts out with a bias and chooses to pay attention to confirming posts and ignore the others, then it is easy to come way with either "F is the absolute best" or "You're not missing anything, J is better." If one reads critically, as one would a film or restaurant review, it is possible to get an idea of the relative merits of those aspects of each cabin that one cares about. Depending on what is important to you, you may find F much better than J, or not much better, or conceivably even worse. The only way to be sure, of course, is to fly both and see for yourself. Short of that, careful reading of the threads here, keeping in mind those specific things you care about, can be helpful. Or, save time and just do a quick scan to confirm what one would prefer to be true .

No live polo racing or live Cirque du Soleil either
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:32 pm

It's quite simple. List the amenities in F and those in J side by side. Place the price difference next to that list. Look left and right. Would you pay that much more for the amenities J is lacking? If so, book F, rather than J. If not, save your money. anabolism is quite right in noting that these posts get annoyingly subjective very quickly, and as the subjectivity rises, the utility falls. What we need is an objective breakdown of the two and to sticky it.

That said: F isn't much better than J
Old Oct 28, 2009, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer
these posts get annoyingly subjective very quickly, and as the subjectivity rises, the utility falls.
How would you answer something like "is the J seat comfortable" without introducing subjectivity?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 3:55 pm

By objectively noting that there are varied opinions on the matter. The pax will just have to give it a shot and see. There are worse things in life than having to figure out whether the J seats are as comfortable as the F seats. Most people never sit in either of these seats. A board with posters of varied experiences will never be able to answer the question : "Will I like it?" We could be entirely in favor of F, and that posters experience upon taking the advice could, and may very well, differ.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, Marriott LT PLT
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Also, when I recently flew to NRT and back in F on the 777, we received separate packages containing AA logo slippers in addition to the red amenity kits. I don't know if it is something exclusive to the Japan market, and I also don't know if they were available in J as well. But it was a very nice touch!
Pretty sure that J gets slippers on NRT routes as well...never thought they were much to write about and I've never bothered to take 'em off the jet.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
This is an old post for a video introduction to AA 777 F
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/6119726-post673.html
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM); BD *G; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by boxedlunch
Pretty sure that J gets slippers on NRT routes as well...never thought they were much to write about and I've never bothered to take 'em off the jet.
Never in my experience. And I've done that route many times in J, over at least 6 years (NRT-DFW; NRT-LAX; NRT-SJC (smiles wistfully...)) I've never done ORD or JFK on the inbound, though...
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I never saw them (amenity slippers in J cabin) myself that I can recall, and I've also flown that route a number of times. I do recollect some fairly "one use" types, perhaps in F.

Originally Posted by StrandedinSC
Never in my experience. And I've done that route many times in J, over at least 6 years (NRT-DFW; NRT-LAX; NRT-SJC (smiles wistfully...)) I've never done ORD or JFK on the inbound, though...
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
I never saw them (amenity slippers in J cabin) myself that I can recall, and I've also flown that route a number of times. I do recollect some fairly "one use" types, perhaps in F.
Yes, F only. And they really are not reusable. Also if you have wide feet (me), the way they velcro makes them pretty-much useless.

They are also given to F pax on the PVG flight (and, I suspect, on the soon to be launched PEK flight).
Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA CK/EXP/1MM, UA Conscientious Objector, Hyatt CC, SPG Plat, HH Diamond VIP
Entitlement

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
The service very likely will be similarly bad/grumpy/unhelpful as normally on AA.
I know I am repeating what others have already said, but I could not disagree more stringently.

AA FAs are typically very decent, kind, and hard-working individuals!

They have a terribly difficult job for which they get very little credit -- are often mistaken for glorified sky servants -- working long hours under difficult conditions for few rewards and fewer 'thanks'.

What is worse still, they often are greeted by passengers who feel entitled to unload their frustrations gathered in the terminal, at security, on the job, or at their homes.

Are they perfect? No.

But I could not do what they do... I could not stand on my my feet for 10 hours a day, managing countless requests, addressing one crisis or concern after another, slinging coffee and cocktails, managing faulty or antiquated IFEs, serving meals or snacks (sometimes on flights that are so short that by the time the put away the last tray the wheels are smoking) -- all this while smiling and doing their level-best to sound cheerful (nevermind they are often the first to get screwed when the industry has to make cuts.)

Do you have clue what a FA makes? They deserve a lot more. And forget about it if you lack seniority.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I spend ALOT of time on AA and have had the opportunity to talk to these folks -- sometimes out of sheer boredom, but often out of simple shared interest in other humans -- and they are rarely 'bad/grumpy/unhelpful.'

They are good people and deserve better than being trashed by some guy who is fortunate enough to have a ride up front.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
One reason I prefer F over J is the spaciousness -- between pax.

On the 15+hour flight DEL-ORD earlier this week in J, the person in the middle seat next to me had a bad cough, annoying snore, and an overdousing of disturbing cologne. Almost made it difficult to enjoy a meal.

I was grateful for the Bose.

I think I've gotten spoiled flying the AONE4. But truth be told, I find AA's J to be a very nice product, and service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.