Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE:,Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Date: Jan 2000
AAdvantage Status: none
Fare class: Discount Y
What happened: AA90 ORD-LHR MD11 went tech 40mins before scheduled departure. Replacement arrived too late for daytime flight (LHR closes at midnight) Flight left 13 hours late
Compensation Day room at ORD Hilton, letter of apology and 17k

Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:34 pm

Programs: NZ *E, AA Lifetime Gold
Date: Jan 25, 2004
AAdvantage Status: Gold
Fare class: Discount Y
What happened: Three hour delay of ZRH-DFW before boarding due to crew unavailability due to late arrival of their previous flight
Compensation: 9,000 Customer Service Bonus miles
Comments: I didn't ask for anything but was pleasantly surprised by the bonus miles plus an apologetic e-mail. Thanks AA!
Old Feb 4, 2004, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Date August 2003
AAdvantage Status PLT
Fare class X
What happened 90-minute wait for gate at DFW (after pilot announced a 10-minute delay)
Compensation 4,000 miles
Comments I e-mailed AA customer service from their site on aa.com. I explained the situation, and suggested that, at a minimum, they ask pilots to provide more information to passengers (i.e., if you say 10 minutes, come back on the PA after 10 minutes with a new estimate.) I didn't ask for compensation, but thought the miles was a nice gesture.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 1:24 pm

Date Dec '03
AAdvantage Status PLT
Fare class L w/ miles UG to F cabin
What happened ORD-SJC #97. Wife's tray table marked "inoperable" upon boarding; had to improvise a flat surface for meal service.
Compensation 10k miles
Comments Even though it was her seat that was affected, I got the comp miles since we U/G'ed from my acct.

[This message has been edited by ntamayo (edited Feb 04, 2004).]
Old Feb 4, 2004, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Date January 2004
AAdvantage Status PLT
What happened MIA to BOS scheduled to depart at 7:50PM. After boarding, and several pre-takeoff cocktails, pilot announces a mechanical failure that cannot be fixed. Another A300 available two terminals away. Upon arrival gate agent announces that the cleaning crew has not arrived and the flight crew is now 'illegal." Finally board a 757 and arrive BOS at 3:30AM.
Compensation Apology e-mail and 7k miles
Comments AA solicited volunteers for compensation, I believe the offer was a $500 voucher. Also gave all passengers a $10 food voucher.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2 Mill - SPG Gold
Date - January 21
AAdvantage Status - Platinum
Fare class-Coach/Restricted
What happened - Flight 42 ORD/CDG, first delayed, then boarded, because they couldn't either repair a reverse thruster, or lock it out, after 1 1/2 hours, they took us off that plane, then we waited an hour to board a new plane. Plane was so new the navigation software wasn't loaded. They tried to load the software, but couldn't do it. After 2 hours, they gave up, because the maintenance crew or flight crew (not really sure if either or both) was illegal. Flight was cancelled, and couldn't get us out until the same flight the next day. Expected departure 5:30, Called of at 11:10.
Compensation:10,000 miles
Comments: What bothers me about the compensation, is I know of somebody who the next day before the rescheduled flight, who complained so forcefully that she got a $1,000 credit. She said that the gate agents the night before had promised one to every passenger and she wanted hers NOW. While I think a 1k voucher is too much, I think whatever they do, they should do all who experienced the problem.

Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:21 pm

In 2002, we were flying from Heathrow to LAX when a young girl fainted. FA's asked for medical assistance. People responding were told to bring ID confirming medical status. Many people responded but only my husband showed his medical license. He wound up getting a very cold second meal (we - 6 of us - were in coach) and had to sit next to the girl for the rest of the flight. The co-pilot told my husband that the plane was being diverted to Salt Lake. My husband assured them that they could go on to LAX if paramedics met the plane. When asked for his credintials again, he showed them and explained that he was board certified in Pediatric Emergency Medicine. The co-pilot saluted and said "good enough for me." FA's couldn't thank him enough. We never asked for anything and worried that my husband took the chance of a lawsuit. American contacted us later, thanked us and gave us 15,000 miles.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA 1.5MM & RC of an employee, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
[b]Date January 29, 2004
AAdvantage Status EXP
Fare class L or N sitting in coach
What happened AA 59 JFK-SFO. Flight was diverted to ORD due to a water leak in the economy cabin
Compensation 15,000 miles
Comments Did write or call. I checked my account today and there was an additional 15,000 miles. Also had a nice appology email from AA. Nice gesture as I was not planning on contacting them.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:42 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Date - January 28
AAdvantage Status - EXP
Fare class - Coach/Restricted, upgraded with VIP03

What happened - Flight 2446 LAX/DFW was cancelled (mechanical) 45 minutes before departure. I had an onward connection to LGW. The LAX FL staff rebooked me via ORD to LHR, arriving 3 hours later than originally scheduled (and at a different airport). Then they discovered an earlier LAX/DFW flight which was delayed for over two hours and still at the departure gate in LAX, even though the flight did not show on any of the monitor screens. They put me on that delayed flight, which soon left and which did in fact arrive in DFW in time for me to make the original connection to LGW. My luggage also made it onto the same flights. This is a prime example of great customer service at its finest.

HOWEVER - I was booked LAX/DFW in suite 1-A on a 777, but ended up flying in seat 36-H on a 767.

Compensation - 4 electronic upgrades

Comments - I e-mailed customer service asking for 3 electronic upgrades, but they gave 4.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:55 pm

Date - February 8
AAdvantage Status - none
Fare class- L or N
Flight- 59 from JFK to SFO
Compensation- 7000 miles
What happened -

The email says "The crew received a 'low oil pressure' indication just as the flight began its takeoff roll," but I think they told us it was an electrical problem at the time. We went back to a gate, sat there for like 3 hours, then headed out with no further issue. I wasn't too, too upset, since we had taken the red-eye in from SFO, and were scheduled to go out on the 11am, got on the 7:30am, and ended up arriving home about an hour before we would have otherwise. I did not complain or anything.

(Edited to include an additional detail - the compensation amount )

[This message has been edited by alamedaguy (edited Feb 20, 2004).]
Old Apr 22, 2004, 10:47 am
LLZ

Date April 2004
AAdvantage Status EXP
Fare class B
What happened Mechanical ORD-FLL.
Compensation 6K miles
Comments 1 hr delay to "fix" it. Re-board, start pushing back, then we're no-go again. Wait another 2 hours for different aircraft. Total delay 3 hours. Email informing me of compensation one week later without any request on my part. Nice, proactive move AA.
Old May 2, 2004, 3:29 am

Location: AA EXP, Diamond HHonors, Diamond Hyatt , Delaware, US
Originally Posted by JRF
Like any of these problems were made up? Seems to me AA should do you a few favors. Hard to believe the logic of a few posters. God forbid your flight is delayed, maybe AA should push you out the door?

I agree with JRF. I think that AA should be gratefull with CharlesMD....after all this bad situations he still a loyal customer....
Old May 2, 2004, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oz_girl
remember, for every one person that says they will not fly AA, Delta has someone who says they won't fly them anymore, and so does United, Continental, etc. It's all a big wheel going round and round....
Not exactly.

I'll never fly original-PanAm, Midway, Braniff, Eastern, Pro-Air (ugh!), TWA, People Express, or any of several other airlines ever again. United very nearly went under just recently (and still could). Eastern's infamous management angered the employees, which cascaded into poor customer service, and the airline (rightly) went bankrupt. People Express proved that the market wasn't ready to pay for in-flight air conditioning. (OK, I'm exaggerating only slightly.)

Then there's "probation." One other poster said he stopped flying American Airlines for 13 years as a result of a bad experience, so that's 13 years of business fares AA lost. I have Sprint (the wireless phone company) on indefinite probation. I had AT&T Wireless in the same category, and it looks like I (and thousands of others) succeeded: the company liquidated itself to Cingular.

Ramada is on my list of hotels I will never stay at, with Days Inn a close second. Days Inn actually had (has?) a crack-n'-ho house as one of its properties. I'm all for free trade, but those attributes weren't listed in the hotel description when I booked.

Slightly off topic: does anyone know if AA employees still get benefits from S.O.S. coupons? The coupons say "no expiration," and I still use them, but I'm wondering if recent airline turmoil caused AA to devalue them somehow. In other words, I'd like to reward good service when appropriate and want to make sure I'm actually doing that.

And kudos to the gate agent for the 5:44 SWF-ORD flight this past Friday. He spotted me on a public telephone near the gate and signaled that it was time to board. That was thoughtful, and, whoever you are, thank you!
Old May 2, 2004, 12:14 pm
LLZ

Originally Posted by sipples
Not exactly.

Slightly off topic: does anyone know if AA employees still get benefits from S.O.S. coupons? The coupons say "no expiration," and I still use them, but I'm wondering if recent airline turmoil caused AA to devalue them somehow. In other words, I'd like to reward good service when appropriate and want to make sure I'm actually doing that.
Nope...the program was terminated due to its cost. I believe it was towards the beginning of 2003 when it ceased.
Old May 2, 2004, 3:25 pm
formerly nstreit

Programs: AA PLT, Swood Gold
Refud for re-ticketing charge

Date July 2003
AAdvantage none
Fare class: Business Class
Ticket: AA Mileage Award (lots and lots of miles
What happened: Flew LAX-JFK-ZRH-TLV round trip. The JFK-ZRH-TLV portion was Swiss Air, but as stated, the flight was booked on AA miles. While in TLV I made a change to my return ticket, leaving two days later from TLV. No problems changing the date of the ticket. AA customer service in the states was very helpful. However, when I arrived at that airport, SwissAir charged me a $100 re-ticketing fee. I explained the ticket was booked as a mileage award and the rules for the ticket allow for a change of date without any charge. I argued with the agent, but to no avail. Apparently, according to the ticketing agent, this happens frequently when AA changes the dates for a Swiss Air flight. Much to my chagrin I paid the $100 and filed a complaint upon my return.
Compensation: AFTER 6 months and the matter being transfered from AA to SwissAir I finally received a $175 refund on my credit card. Don't know how they came to that figure, but I did request in my linitial etter that if it took a long time that I be compensated either in the form of interest or mileage into my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.