Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE:,Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2004, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt
AAdvantage Status: None

Fare class: Plan AAhead AAward Coach

What happened: Inbound plane to SJU was delayed in SLU due to weather in SJU. Arrived 45 min after last flight to mainland US had left SJU.

Compensation: Mrs AAToday and I were given a night in the Condado Plaza, taxi vouchers, $25 dinner and $10 b'fast vouchers for hotel, rebooked next day in first class, PLUS gave us the miles for the whole trip.

Comments: Unlike most of the really pi**ed off passengers in SJU I did not yell at anyone. I still can't believe the way some people were acting!! I called customer service on the cell while in line and they took care of everything. We got to the front of the line the agents printed out the vouchers, confirmations, etc., said how much they appreciate when passengers understand and off we went. We were happy to stay an extra night in the Caribbean, on AA.
Old May 3, 2004, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Status PLatinum
Date April 25
Delay BOS>MIA 7.30 a.m. We boarded, they announced a hydraulic problem. After 45 minutes allowed us to deplane. I overheard the polit yelling at the "situation chief" (or whoever co-ordinates these decisions) that "I want some photographs taken, because we were inspecting for problem A, and found problem B, and B has clearly been there for a while and someone really screwed up at the planes last servicing." Anyway, they found a new plane and scheduled us for a 10.30 a.m. departure. Again a hydraulic problem(!), brought truck to fix it, that truck broke down while fixing the problem. Anyway, by 12.30 we had taken off, arrive 5 hours late
Compensation 8,000 miles, after I wrote them suggesting that instead of compensating with miles they should give passangers a "Change your ticket for no fee" card.
Old May 4, 2004, 7:56 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Angry

Date: April 6-16 2004
Fare Class: Whatever miles to upgrade to Business is
What happened: Took two FAs to recline my in-laws seat , 2 lumbar supprts DOA, one video touch screen DOA. Compensation: Credit of 15K each (45k total) I feel this is adequate
Comment:Absolutely no reason for this to happen on a plane <5 yrs old. Email from AA states the problems are "probably" already fixed - yea right.
Old May 18, 2004, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Date June, 2000

AAdvantage Status PLAT

Fare class coach, probably upgraded to biz with miles

What happened Was flying SFO - ORD - ZRH. Just before leaving the house, I checked flight status by phone and was told it was "on time."

40 minutes later at check-in I am told the plane will be so late that I will not make my connection to ZRH that day. O.K., why? Thunderstorms have kept the equipment on the ground at ORD which was to be used for my flight. I arranged for travel the next day.

While ticketing was going on, I did the math. When I had called, the incoming flight had not even left ORD. Having wasted the day, I was not happy. I politely asked for transportation back to the city. At first I was refused because "it was air traffic control and weather, not AA that caused the delay." I asked for a supervisor. We worked the figures together and she could see that I was right. She offered Super Shuttle home. I said, no, taxi out, taxi home. She wrote the voucher. Total cost $25.00 to AA.

Compensation None really. Just return ground transportation I could have taken the flight to ORD and been comped a hotel room and vouchers. Preferred my own family, was able to join a special occasion dinner out with my kids, and my own bed.

Comments Should not have had to struggle for this. Since connections to ZRH are now mostly through DFW or JFK, many fewer weather related problems. Finally, in those day Swiss Air had daily non-stops to ZRH. I always flew AA for miles and for the help in a jam that should come from loyalty. Usually, it has worked when something has gone wrong. Fees waived, etc. Never have asked for compensation. After reading this thread, I might under some circumstances.

Last edited by Teacher49; May 18, 2004 at 4:43 am
Old May 20, 2004, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Food poisoning?

Date: May 11
Flight: MIA-LAX #277

Recently I was doing a MR, TPA-MIA-LAX-SFO. Felt fine in the early afternoon flight to MIA. Had about an hour layover in MIA, still feeling very normal. Board the 757 in F. Offered OJ or water. Had a glass of water. Shortly after take-off I ask for a glass of white. Offered a choice of Tortellini in mushroom sauce and ? (I don't remember). Take the pasta. About 10 bites into the dish, I get very naucious. Only minutes later, I know I have to be in the toilet very quickly. It's a good thing it wasn't occupied. I hand the tray to the FA on the way to the toilet, lock the door and proceed to return the entire pasta dish. It took few minutes, I clean my self up and return to the seat.

There was also another problem. As soon as I boarded the plane, I got very heavy sniffles. I don't know what that was all about, but it continued throughout the entire flight. I'm talking Niagra Falls size sniffles. As soon as I got off the plane, the sniffles went away.

Anyway, on the plus side the FA working F on this flight became like a personal doctor, nurse and mom. Only because of her concern and knowledgeable help was I able to recover from whatever happened by the time we landed in LAX. She was extremly professional, friendly and most importantly, very attentive to my needs, yet she never missed a beat with the other passengers.

The LAX-SFO flight was fine, no sniffles and feeling fine again. Hooked up with Chanel Cinq at the AC and had few drinks before heading home SFO-MIA-TPA. Never missed a beat again.

I e-mailed AA with praise for the FA and her partner, who would stand in for her when she was helping me out. I also wrote about the incident, stating that I don't really know what this was all about, but that it did happen. I'm not sure if food poisoning could happen this quickly, but that's the only thing I ate that day, and other than a glass of white at the MIA bar and a 1/2 a glass of another white before the lunch, I did not have anything. Also the sniffles attack???

I just got a reply this morning. The CSR thank me for the praise, and informed me that the FA will get few points in her file. He also will mail a $75.00 voucher for future flights.

Last edited by andrzej; May 20, 2004 at 11:08 am
Old May 20, 2004, 11:04 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, UA PE
AAward MishAAp

Booked award travel for my wife ORD-LHR via Dublin on AerLingus

Date: April 2004
AAdvantage Status: None
Fare class: Award Travel
What happened: Mechanical problem (cabin pressure) caused diversion to BOS. Flight to BOS took about 6.5 hours while crew tried to fix/address problem. Landed at approx 2 am. Wife was sent to Holiday Inn and told to wait for a call and given a $4 meal voucher. ($4 is NOT a typo.) Clearly there is nowhere to spend a $4 meal voucher at 3:30 am. Wife found out (from other travellers) that flight "might" leave when she went to the lobby around noon. Ended up being put on a Virgin flight direct to LHR with no bags. Wife was 24 hours delayed. Bags were 50 hours delayed.
Contacted Customer Relations today via phone.
Compensation : 10K miles into my account
Old May 20, 2004, 6:08 pm

Programs: aa exp, spg plat, HH gold
Andrzej,

A couple of months ago I had the mushroom tortelini on an LAX-Jfk flgiht and also had to run to the lav. I didn't eat anything in the morning, just the nuts, salad and pasta nor did I have alcohol. I didn't say anything, figuring it was just me...By the time I got to jfk I was feeling better.
Old May 21, 2004, 2:37 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Date May 2004
AAdvantage Status PLT
Fare class L
What happened: Water bottle down lav blocked toilet. Plane delayed at LAS (to SJC) for 4 hours.
Compensation: Op-Ups given to both me and my daughter. A week later 7000 miles appeared in both my daughter's and my account (I never aeven sked for them).
Comments: Cool.
Old May 21, 2004, 2:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
How does a water bottle in the lav toilet cause a 4 h delay? Wouldn't they just close off the toilet?
Old May 21, 2004, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Pt, HH Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by andrzej
There was also another problem. As soon as I boarded the plane, I got very heavy sniffles. I don't know what that was all about, but it continued throughout the entire flight. I'm talking Niagra Falls size sniffles. As soon as I got off the plane, the sniffles went away.
Apart from the usual fatigue, dehydration, etc. that can accompany a lot of time in the air, i sometimes get "gushers" like this. My prevailing theory at first was allergies, but I'm wondering now if the change from sea level to cabin pressure at altitude is sufficient to force sinus or nasal congestion out so dramatically. Has this sort of thing ever happened before, andrzej, and if so, was it accompanied by nausea?

Sorry for O-T posting.
Old May 21, 2004, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by eric_packer
Apart from the usual fatigue, dehydration, etc. that can accompany a lot of time in the air, i sometimes get "gushers" like this. My prevailing theory at first was allergies, but I'm wondering now if the change from sea level to cabin pressure at altitude is sufficient to force sinus or nasal congestion out so dramatically. Has this sort of thing ever happened before, andrzej, and if so, was it accompanied by nausea?

Sorry for O-T posting.
As far as I know, I don't have any allergies. I remember getting an attack once or twice on a plane before, but it never really became anything regular, so I just blew it off (no pun intended ). This time, it was combined with the other thing, so it just made it worst.
Do planes have air filters that should be changed at some regular intervals? Could that be it? I really don't know, but like I said, it was never a "regular" problem for me, so I never really paid attention to it.
Old May 24, 2004, 10:20 am

Date: May 17th 2004
AAdvantage Status: Plat
Fare class: $314 ORD-HNL tickets (Q); Coach
What happened: Plane broken, great updates from the Staff about what happened, ended up deplaneing 2 hours later and get on the 11am ORD-HNL flight, no idea what those passengers had to do; never complained due to the fact that the crew did an outstanding job
Compensation : 6K miles into my account, no complaints, nothing - but I received this today:

Dear Mr. MazdaMP:

After hearing from our manager in Chicago about the delayed departure of flight 73, we
wanted to take this opportunity to apologize to you. There is no question that you
were inconvenienced when we were unable to get you to Honolulu as planned on May 17
and we are truly sorry.

It's completely realistic for our most frequent travelers to put flight dependability
at the top of their list of expectations from us. For that reason, the on-time
operation of our flights is one of our most important service goals. You can be sure
that we will continue our intensified efforts to improve our dependability.

We recognize that sometimes an apology and a promise to do better just aren't
adequate. Accordingly, we've added 6,000 Customer Service Bonus miles to your
AAdvantageŽ account. You should see this mileage adjustment in your account very
soon, and you can view your AAdvantage account via our web site, http://www.aa.com.

We hope you'll give us another chance to do a better job the next time you travel with
us. We'll look forward to the opportunity.

We always welcome customer feedback. Should you wish to contact us, please do so via
http://www.aa.com/customerrelations and we'll be back with you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

William R. Hodges
Customer Relations
American Airlines
Old May 24, 2004, 10:53 am

broken seats

Date: Mar - Apr 2004
Flights: 4 different flight
Class: Intl J and Dom F

What happened: Broken tray table (the whole thing came off in my hand) NRT-SJC, Leg-rest extend that would not stay in place (2x) LAX-HNL, Headrest that wobbled incessantly. Finally, wrote to AA after having broken equipment on my 4th flight of 5.

Compensation: 5k miles
Old May 31, 2004, 10:53 pm

Date: April 2004
AAdvantage Status: PLT
Fare class: M upgraded to business w/VIPOW, on a 6 continent round the world OWE ticket. Cost about $3000.
What happened: 20 minutes into Buenos Aires to New York flight, pilot announces having to turn around due to "several system failures". His word choice caused serious alarm among some fellow passengers, but I was fine. No problem with the safety decision. AA quickly got us into a truly excellent hotel, meals included, and the phone agent rearranging my itinerary was flawless. I wasn't mad at AA at all, and was a little torn about complaining -- it's really not something I do much. But AA was the reason I had arrived at my destination (eventually TLV) a full 24 hours after I had paid for. I enjoyed all the flights and free hotel stay, but was really disappointed I landed in Jerusalem for the Christian holy week a day late. The main service I expect from a plane ticket purchase is for the airline to get me there on the date I paid for. I'm not mad at AA for the mechanical, problems and delays sometimes just happen, but the full day lost from my next destination was legitimately AA's "fault", for which I felt I reasonably deserved compensation. So I politely emailed an explanation and request for $500 compensation, while also pointing out the good things they had done mentioned above.

Compensation: No voucher, but 20,000 miles.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 6:40 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Not AA, but CX. AVOD in F and J not working from HKG to YVR. Vouchers for USD100 in "gift catalogue items" handed out to J / D pax who paid for their tickets. Upgrade passengers given USD 25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.