Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE:,Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2003, 11:55 am

Date: April 2001
AAdvantage Status: Nil
Fare class: Coach Award on CX
What happened: Confirmed award ticket for DEL-HKG-YYZ travel on CX was "accidently" cancelled by AA. Rerouted DEL-HKG-LAX-BOS-YYZ in a 41 hour trip from hell.
Compensation: Personal phonecall, Written Apology, $300 voucher, 15000 miles
Comments : Original thread here.

==============

Date: February 2002
AAdvantage Status: Platinum
Fare class: Coach
What happened: AA security contractor tried to solicit tips and caused me to miss my flight as a result.
Compensation : Employee was fired after investigation.
Comments : Original story here. Story was picked up and featured by Wall Street Journal, Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Paul Harvey, London Times and many other media outlets.

[This message has been edited by B747-437B (edited 05-08-2003).]
Old May 8, 2003, 12:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by M2swim:
it usually takes 12-18 hours after ingesting the bad food to show signs of food poisoning.</font>
No. The time between when you eat the food to when you actually vomit is related to how much of the pathogen is ingested. Also, different people have varying sensitivity/immunity to the bacteria and viruses that cause food poisoning, and this will be a factor in timing as well.

[This message has been edited by CharlesMD (edited 05-08-2003).]
Old May 9, 2003, 8:49 am
mgm

What I would love to know is what methodology AA uses to give both solicited and unsolicited compensation. I've had numerous situations where flights have been delayed or missed connections. I don't complain (so I guess I can't expect anything to begin with ) but neither have I ever been offered unsolicited compensation. Classic example was a paid F flight LHR-LAX where there was a mechanical delay after boarding. We were waiting for about two hours before we were cleared for take off. I didn't complain but got an unsolicited written appology from AA though no compensation.

Anybody know if there is a method used by AA for these situations?
Old May 9, 2003, 9:18 am

In March of 2003 as AA Gold, the first leg of a JAX-DFW-MCI-STL trip had a mechanical delay causing deboarding then a two hour wait while I missed my DFW connection. Rebooking onto a non-stop JAX-STL flight five hours later gave me a meal voucher (which I gave to another passenger), refund of my upgrade stickers (had upgraded JAX-DFW), and complimentary upgrade. I didn't ask for money as the non-stop got me to STL five minutes earlier than my original itinerary.

In March of 2002, an emergency landing in STL (we were 15 minutes into the flight when the pilots shut down an engine and we returned to STL to awaiting fire trucks) followed by a five hour delay in finding a new aircraft yielded 12,000 miles unsolicited, within a week of the event. I sent a letter to AA commending the flight crew and saying that I perfectly understand the whole event and received another 3000 miles.
http://www.pbase.com/image/15166492
Old May 28, 2003, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA 1P, DL SM
Date- April 2003
AAdvantage Status- PLT
Fare class- L
What happened- AA 235 MIA-LAX had a mechanical- had to switch 757's- caused about a 3 hour delay.
Compensation- 7,000 miles
Comments- Never complained (or thought about it really...) I recieved an e-mail 5 days later with an apology and the 7,000 miles.
Old May 28, 2003, 1:42 pm

Date: August 2002
AAdvantage Status: None
Fare class: Discount
What happened: Delay, missed connection, lost luggage.
Compensation: $10 meal voucher, overnight stay at fabulous DFW Motel 6, lost luggage kit.
Comments: I was scheduled to fly BTR-DFW-STL. After receiving text messages alerting me that my BTR-DFW flight was delayed, and then delayed again, I arrived at the airport to check in and the agent told me the flight was delayed a third time and now I wouldn't make my connection in DFW to STL. Agent put me on a Delta flight to DFW and I thought all was well. Tight connection in DFW and a slightly late Delta flight had me running to the gate. I got to the closed door 3 minutes after scheduled departure. Gate agent told me it's the last flight of the night and the next available to STL is at 6am through LIT. I tell her I need to think about what I'm going to do and I head out to baggage claim to see if my bag is there. It's not, of course. I go to the ticket counter and explain my situation. The agent looks at my tickets and asks me how I missed my flight. I told him on paper it looks like there was plenty of time, but I ran, and I couldn't make it. He punched buttons for a while and then gave me a $10 meal voucher and a room at the Motel 6. I asked him what the deal is with my bag, and he told me to go over to the baggage claim and see if maybe it turns up. I go. It doesn't turn up. Of course. I head back to the counter and he gives me the little lost luggage kit. I go off to catch the shuttle to the Motel 6. I end up not using the voucher and going to sleep. Get up sometime around 4am and head back to the airport. Sit on the packed MD80 to LIT at the gate while they try to get the plane started. Captain says, "Without the engines going I can't get you any air conditioning." I'm in an aisle seat on the 3 side crammed next to a giant man eating an Egg McMuffin, sweating, in the same clothes I was wearing yesterday, the same clothes I slept in. I'm sorry, if you're reading this, Mr. Giant Man Eating an Egg McMuffin, if the smell of my pants offended you. We finally get going, I connect at LIT to STL and I figure all is well. My bag doesn't show up at STL. I go to the little brown lost luggage room and the woman punches keys and says they'll call me. I go home to take a shower and then head in for what is now only a half-day of work. I call later in the evening to check on my bag and they say they'll call me. I wake up the next morning and see a voicemail on my cell phone. It's the driver of the truck that is delivering my bag. He says he thinks he'll just leave it at my door, as it's 3am and he doesn't want to wake me. How nice of him. I open the door and my bag is sitting there on my porch. My uncovered porch. I pick up my bag and it's wet. Because it rained. I filled out the form on aa.com complimenting the ticketing agent at DFW for helping me out even though he probably didn't have to. I never heard anything back. I didn't complain about the delays and missed connections and lost/wet luggage. I guess I probably could have.
Old May 29, 2003, 10:36 am

Location: DFW, TX, USA - AA EXP, DL PM/MM, SPG PLT, MC/HH GLD
Date: 1989 or so
AAdvantage Status: None
Fare Class: Y, upgraded to F
What Happened: FA opened overhead bin and dropped a briefcase on my head, drawing blood and causing the mother of all headaches; took the flight crew 30+ minutes to get me some aspirin and an icepack.
Compensation: Fish (one Harry & David smoked salmon)
Comments: Wrote to AA twice complaining about the incident...no response at all to the first letter. I don't really care for fish, so the compensation had a rather comical air to it...like something out of "The Godfather." This incident, or rather AA's poor handling of it, caused me to stop flying AA for about 13 years.

Date: May 6, 2003
AAdvantage Status: EXP
Fare Class: A
What Happened: 3 hour weather delay, including 1 hour on ramp after pushback (we were actually on the runway when westbound departures were shut down).
Compensation: 6,000 AAdvantage miles (unsolicited).
Comments: AA has come a long way in the Customer Service department!
Old Jun 11, 2003, 9:19 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Date: 12/01
AA Status: PLT
Flight: BRU to ORD
Class: Rediculously low coach upgraded with miles to B
What happened: On TO an engine cover flew off taking a chunk of the wing with it. Landed in LHR (heavy & hot, with lots of cute fire trucks.)
Comp: Unsolicited $200 voucher (that's all I paid.) Oh yeah, an the joy in my travelling companion's face when the Capitano leaned across her to look out the window at the damage to the wing.

They did put us in B on a 777 out of LHR to ORD but we missed our ORD-SFO and were put on a later UA flight, which should have been cause for further comp.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:08 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CharlesMD:
No. The time between when you eat the food to when you actually vomit is related to how much of the pathogen is ingested. Also, different people have varying sensitivity/immunity to the bacteria and viruses that cause food poisoning, and this will be a factor in timing as well.</font>
I guess 3 or 4 Bistro Bags (as indicated in your trip report) eaten all at once had nothing to do with the vomiting...??

[This message has been edited by LLZ (edited 06-11-2003).]
Old Jun 12, 2003, 12:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Haha, LLZ, you crack me up (as usual).

But still they shouldn't be so toxic.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 12:44 am
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CharlesMD:
Haha, LLZ, you crack me up (as usual).

</font>
So does me your food poisoning argument. Even if accepting the "amount of pathogen argument," you became sick two hours into a 4 hour flight.

It doesn't hold water. But, you got some extrAA miles...
Old Jun 12, 2003, 7:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

What about the pathogen amount argument doesn't hold? If you went out and drank some toilet water or a liter of bacterial culture, you'd be throwing up within the hour.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 8:49 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Date 5th of June 2003

AAdvantage Status Platinum

Fare class Y

What happened Flight 129 from SJC to NRT cancelled due to the First Class p/a sysytem not in operation.

Compensation 20,000 AAdvantage miles!

Comments Called Customer Relations and explained what happened....waited 3 hours at the gate without any announcements. Chatted with one of the flight attendents an hour and a half into this whole mess. She said that a part had to be flown from LAX. Hearing that, I knew this crew was going to be illegal after 3 hours. Alternative arrangements could of been made in the meantime from SFO. Instead, waited on the plane. They placed us overnight at a hotel in Sunnyvale. Flight 9211 was to depart at 9 am on Friday morning. This was a dedicated flight. Instead departed at 10 because plane wasn't fueled. I was actually quite surprised at receiving 20,000 miles. That's seems like an awful lot. I was asking for 10,000, but I will take 20,000!
Old Jun 13, 2003, 12:03 pm

Programs: United GS, HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by inlanikai:
Date: Maybe 10 years ago

AAdvantage Status: Gold

Fare class: Y

What happened: Flight from DFW to LGA in a DC-10. A dinner flight. A/C loses weather radar enroute heading for a storm. Pilot decides to go to ORD where weather enroute is clear and get the radar repaired and then head for LGA. Dinner was just about to be served when everything was put away. We landed in ORD just before 10 pm with about 150 hungry people waiting for our plane to be fixed and no promise of dinner.

Compensation: One of the FA's seeing about 60-70 people on line at the nearest snack counter went up to the cashier who was working alone and told the cashier: "All these people on line are on my flight. Just run a tab, I'll sign it and send the bill to AA." And she did. We all ate for free and cleaned out the snack bar.

Comments: We never had dinner on the flight and got into LGA at 1:30 in the morning. It was the most courageous case of taking ownership of a situation I have ever seen. Managers often talk about pushing decision making down to the people on the line, but, this FA did what was best for the pax at a time when everyone was hungry, tired and upset. I don't know if the FA caught hell for what was done. But I think this FA should have been employee of the month.
</font>
You're absolutley right. This probably cost AA a total of $500 which is nothing in the scheme of things, but I'm sure if made a lot of people happy, and it probably all but eliminated complaints from individual passengers to the airline. If only 10 passengers had complained and they each got $100, thats $1000 right there.

Old Jun 15, 2003, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
Date 31 May 2003
AAdvantage Status None
Fare class L Web Fare
What happened IFE Broken on both flights
Compensation 5K Miles
Comments THANK YOU AA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.