Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE:,Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2003, 3:19 pm

Location: AA EXP, Diamond HHonors, Diamond Hyatt , Delaware, US
Excellent posting MD....I don't understand the thinking of some of you guys....If you are flying for free, if you did not earned those upgrades, if you work for AA, DO NOT COMPLAIN....In my business, I pay for my own flying, so I guess I deserve a decent meal, clean aircraft and ontime departure. I wonder in what kind of business this "martirs" are in....but if they think of their customers like this, I rather take my business elsewhere. What makes AA wonderful is that they really care about the customer because if we don't fly, they won't. Thanks god we have positive, nice and intelligent people at the AA customer service....
Old Oct 9, 2003, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[moderator hat on]

This thread is meant as a guide to compensation which AA has given out. The topic is not food poisoning, medical malpractice, or anything along that vein.

As such, I'm going to ask everyone to stick to the topic. If necessary, involuntary post editing and deletion will be used to keep the thread on-topic.

[moderator hat off]
Old Oct 9, 2003, 4:37 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
[censorship hat on]

[censorship hat off]

Old Oct 10, 2003, 9:52 am

Programs: DL-GM, WN-CP, IC-Plat
Date: Sept 23, 2003
AAdvantage status: Plat
Fare class: Unknown -- not Y
What happened: Eagle 4748 BWI-BOS cnx due to a mechanical. Rebooked on flight 3 hours later that was ultimately more than an hour late. I got last seat, which overbooked the flight. I took a bump for $200 voucher and rebooked for 7pm flight. That flight was subsequently cnx for reasons unknown. Wound up traveling on WN to PVD.
Compensation: Wrote an e-mail to AA explaining that this was 6th flight on Fly promo and I would not have an opportunity to fly again. Was given credit for missed RT flights -- 2,000 miles with bonus. However, this credit triggered Fly 3 second ticket.

Summary:
Cost -- ($50) -- WN ticket was $50 cheaper -- AA gave a refund for my fare.
Received -- $200 voucher for bump,
-- 2,000 miles plus 2 segs,
-- 1 free domestic RT from Fly3 promo.

Thanks AA!
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:03 am
KBW

Programs: AA LT PLAT
Date:9/16/03
Ticket class: cheap web fare
incident: upgraded with stickers dfw/yvr(4). Caterers screwed up and shorted F 2 lunches. FAs were great but the cupboard was bare.
compensation: e-mailed AA about the catering and had 2 of the stickers redeposited in my account.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Traveller: My friend Jeff
Class: Business Class Award Ticket
Route: La Paz, Bolivia, to Boston, Via Santa Cruz then Miami
Total Delay: 25 Hours (+more in Miama)
Compensation: 15,000 Miles (but may still be disputed)

After one hour flight from La Paz to Santa Cruz, delay in Santa Cruz. Equip failure led to 4 hours wait on runway, then 3 hours in VIP lounge (while coach passangers were still in the airplane), finally 8 a.m. departure cancelled, group sent to hotel at 3.30 p.m. Driver didn't know where hotel was, so trip took two hours.
At hotel told not to leave room becasue some chance flight would depart that evening, it didn't, finally at 5.30 a.m. bus loads up for airport, all pssgrs need rebooking for connecting flight so plane leaves an hour late. Finally reach miami 25 hours late. Bad weather day in Miami so airport in Chaos, nonetheless everyone re-booked (again).
THen luggage doesn't come onto conveyer belt for 4 hours because of mechanical failure.
Pax spends night in Miami (all flights cancelled/overbooked that day), and got first flight following morning.

So Miami is weather, not AA's fault (except the 4 hour delay in delivering luggage), but La Paz > Miami is a 24 hour delay entirely mechancal.

I have in paid discount economy gotten 12,000 for a 6 hour delay from Quito to Miami, so to offer only 15,000 to a business class passaenger for a 24 hour delay seems pretty low to me.

My caluclation (at even a very low value of time) would be minimum (difference between Y and J award price=30,000) or (half of J award=45,000).

Does 15k seem low to y'all? Does it matter that my friend has no status? (I am Plat, and they were my miles)
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:24 am
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CharlesMD:
Bag 10 lbs overweight 'cause you want to give your uncle some pineapples from HNL? Excess baggage fee.
</font>
Next time, pack the pineapples in a separate carrying box. Coming from Hawaii, they don't count toward your baggage allowance.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 12:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kef0913:
I explained that my wife's contact lense solution and daughter's pull-ups (thankfully she's out of those now, but I digress) were in our luggage and I had a total of $5 in my wallet (not expecting to be going anywhere but home). I asked them either not to bump us or provide us with $20 to pay for the necessary items (never mind our toothbrushes - which we were also denied).</font>
That's what those rectangular pieces of plastic with a bunch of numbers on them are for - to pay for things without having to carry cash around! Doh! I would never wait around and argue with the agents for a mere $20, especially having already received compensation larger than what I paid for my ticket!

Unbelievable. Am I missing something?
Old Nov 13, 2003, 7:39 pm

Date: October 26th, 2003
AAdvantage Status: PLT
Fare class: Upgraded to Business (“R”) with stickers from discount economy.
What happened: Day of big CA wildfires. One hour delay in SAN and 3 hour (on the plane) delay at LAX. No service during the delay, that is what I was really complaining about. 25+ min. wait at JFK for a gate. Earlier in the week had a mech. delay in ABQ, three hours late, again incorrect gate agent information.
Compensation: 4 upgrade stickers returned to my account.
Comments: Faxed AA because I was p*ssed off about twice in a week delays. Did not really expect anything but a canned response. Very generous offer and I am completely happy.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 9:38 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Date: 10/31 Flight 64 JFK-ZRH
AA status: Yes
Fare: S UPG'd to C with VIPOW
What Happened: FA intercom not working and one hour delay to Rube it, now individual seat overhead lights non functional. Then my seat 5D won't recline without my getting out of seat to move it up or down. Then FEBO leaves me with lamb which was bitter.
Comp: 8000 miles, unsolicited, though I did write to them.
Comments: Three strikes rule in force. Always write to tell AA how to make things better. I suggested that as they have the menus pre printed and have the ability, both on line and through the res system for "special" meals, that they make the regular menu available for preselection. And, you know, that if you take better care of your toys they will last longer.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 1:02 am

Programs: 11 Longhaired Friends of Jesus; Chartreuse Microbus; just demoted to AA nonentity
Date 2003 October 19
AAdvantage status Nada
Fare class Y (AAnytime)
What happened Involuntarily denied boarding
Compensation $250 AA voucher, plus ORD hotel & choice of dinner or breakfast
Comments Brought mog out from CID for a Sunday afternoon to go see Bubba Ho-Tep, the plan being AA 4138 out and 4295 back. (Booked by phone around midnight on Saturday; the agent was seeing 6 open out and 7 back, IIRC.) Upon arrival, I was upstairs and fair Mog was down by the baggage claim (cost of delivery of electrons via AT&T: $8.27), so we had to see a later show than planned. After this brief delay, one stroll, Honker's Ale, misplaced bag, and emergency taxi ride later, Mog hit the gate late, around 7:55 (8:40 departure), and was one of two IDB'd.The hotel and associated choice of doling of calories were not used.

I don't know--and would be happy to know better--but every time I think about it, I wonder whether someone who just showed up with 23 Andrew Jacksons would also have been sent packing.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 2:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Date: Oct 2003
AAdvantage Status: PLAT
Fare class: Discount Y
What happened: 1. On TransAtlantic marked as handicapped, denied exit row. 2. Special Meal request ignored on domestic segments, other pax did get sp. meal. 3. Bags arrive destination airport 1 day late, lie in airport 3 days.
Compensation Voucher, 300
Comments Sent an email. Did not ask for anything. Was looking for an apology. Got one. First inter-continental on AA.

Editted for clarity.

[This message has been edited by wannabe_plat (edited Nov 29, 2003).]
Old Nov 29, 2003, 3:20 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wannabe_plat:
1. On TransAtlantic marked as handicapped, denied exit row.</font>
Just want to get this straight. You were denied an exit row because you are handicapped?
Old Nov 29, 2003, 3:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by grouse:
Just want to get this straight. You were denied an exit row because you are handicapped?</font>
I am in the pink of health but for a tooth-ache. Maybe my statement should have read "Marked INCORRECTLY as handicapped." It stopped being funny when I was asked at each airport if I wanted a wheelchair.

At the first two airports, the agents couldn't figure out why I could not be moved to exit row. At some point I tried it myself online, and got the message. Funny they just got an error with no reason why exit row was being denied.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 3:36 am

Programs: 11 Longhaired Friends of Jesus; Chartreuse Microbus; just demoted to AA nonentity
Hax0r strikes again, whoops.

[This message has been edited by Wheezer (edited Nov 29, 2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.