Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE:,Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2003, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Date: Spring 2001

AAdvantage Status: EXP for me, none for other 3.

Fare class: Z (FC Award)

What happened: 4 of us travelling. Flight from LAX - HNL had equipment change to 3-cl 767 from 2-cl 767H. GA did all the re-assignments of seat starting 1 hour before dep. No consideration given to who had FC seats or their status. Only 1 rev pax was in first. My entire party and others ended split up in Y section, not even biz section (which was considered coach). Y pax's ended up in Biz seats and F pax's ended up in Y seats. A few F pax's ended up in the few F seat coffins.

Compensation: 10K miles for me and $1,000 vouchers for each of the 4 of us.

Comments: I did complain at the time this was all taking place at the gate to the GA and to the EXP desk as to the procedure that was taking place but to no avail. The GA was just incompetent IMHO. I did not ask for any compensation from anyone at anytime (probably because I was too busy fuming). But the EXP desk decided this was appropriate at the time of the incident. Quite frankly, I think it was extrodinary.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Date: Maybe 10 years ago

AAdvantage Status: Gold

Fare class: Y

What happened: Flight from DFW to LGA in a DC-10. A dinner flight. A/C loses weather radar enroute heading for a storm. Pilot decides to go to ORD where weather enroute is clear and get the radar repaired and then head for LGA. Dinner was just about to be served when everything was put away. We landed in ORD just before 10 pm with about 150 hungry people waiting for our plane to be fixed and no promise of dinner.

Compensation: One of the FA's seeing about 60-70 people on line at the nearest snack counter went up to the cashier who was working alone and told the cashier: "All these people on line are on my flight. Just run a tab, I'll sign it and send the bill to AA." And she did. We all ate for free and cleaned out the snack bar.

Comments: We never had dinner on the flight and got into LGA at 1:30 in the morning. It was the most courageous case of taking ownership of a situation I have ever seen. Managers often talk about pushing decision making down to the people on the line, but, this FA did what was best for the pax at a time when everyone was hungry, tired and upset. I don't know if the FA caught hell for what was done. But I think this FA should have been employee of the month.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA 1MM (Back to GLD for now)
Date OCT 2001
AAdvantage Status PLAT/GLD
Fare class Cheap Y fare, Confirmed U/G w/Miles
What happened 7 HR Delay departing HNL, Mechanical.
Compensation 9,000 Miles each
Comments No complaints lodged by us, miles and apology letter sent to each of us without prompting. - I was PLT, my girlfriend was GLD. I actually passed out SOS's to the GA's for the way they dealt with a difficult situation.

- Plat
Old Apr 18, 2003, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA LIFETIME GOLD, 1.7MM; HH Diamond
Date February 2003

AAdvantage Status EXP (sadly now Plat)

Fare class Discount Y

What happened Coming back from BRU we had a one hour ground hold. Arriving in ORD I was told there was no way I could make my connection to SWF and would have to re-checkin. Reason: not enough time to get bags to flight. This meant a six hour wait but I was given a $20 meal voucher. I wasn't happy but I figured there was nothing to be done about it. Then the new SWF flight was late (as it is 50% of the time) which meant that instead of six hours I wound up sitting around for eight hours. When I got to SWF my bags were already there having come in on the earlier flight that I was told there was no way this could happen. Turns out that flight was also delayed and left ORD an hour late. E-mailed AA to suggest that in the future when a passenger was going to be delayed for six hours the agent should check to see exactly what time their current flight was going to leave at. Also suggested that the flights to SWF all be rescheduled one hour forward to reflect the fact that they seem to run a consistent 50% late rate. Thanked them for the opportunity to vent and forgot about it.
Two weeks later I had a message on my answering machine from Stefania at AA apologizing for the delay.

Compensation: 15,000 miles deposited to my account.

I thought that was really very generous of them. I hadn't asked for anything and was very surprised by the response. Not so surprised that I would ask them to take it back though!

Chris
Comments
Old Apr 18, 2003, 9:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by inlanikai:
Date: Spring 2001

Compensation: 10K miles for me and $1,000 vouchers for each of the 4 of us.

</font>
Try getting a total of four grand today. I do not think they would do that in this climate.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wow this makes me think:

1) We need to cut American some slack right now and help them get back on their feet.

2) You are right that the penalty reward ratio is skewed against us.

3) When the airline makes us miss a connection, late departure, etc. they could give us a reciprocal get out of jail free card so to speak. The next time you want to change something on your ticket it's on us coupon instead of a voucher for $'s off of future flights.

This would not cost the airline $'s as you would have to purchase future tickets with real money but you would save on the $100.00 flight change fee and the difference in the ticket price.

Sort of a tit for tat.
Old Apr 19, 2003, 5:53 am

My dad was flying AA JFK-LAX back in Feb or Mar 2002. After about an hour in the air, they turned back to JFK. (He told me they said it was a similar thing to what caused AA 587 to crash). He arrived in LAX, but missed his QF connecting flight to AKL. It was a Tuesday night flight, he had planned on being in KAL on thursday to do some business and then make it back to MEL on friday. Of course with the missed connection in LAX, taking the next flight meant he'd arrive on Friday in AKL, which kind of screwed up his whole itinerary. So AA put him up at a hotel in LAX for 4 days to take the saturday flights out, arrive in AKL on Monday, perfect for business (I think there would've been some negotiating done.) Anyway, he was also given food vouchers, but due to dietary requirments, would'nt have much use for them, so the AA rep told him to buy whatever he needs, and when he returns to MEL, write to AA in OZ who'd compensate him. And so went his trip.

Until he got back home. (I won't go through all the problems he had with QF in AKL, like nearly getting arrested. Let me put it this way, you wouldn't want to have to live through it!). He eventually got back and write to AA requesting compensation for the food he bought for the 4 days in LAX, (which totalled around 175 USD). Of course AA denies the incident ever occurring and ever offering to pay him back for his food, or putting him up at a hotel for 4 days.

So we got to work, contacting the hotel who faxed us a folio for his stay showing 4 days were paid for by AA. But still AA refused to compensate him. So he wrote AA a letter (i'm not sure whether it was using AA.com, or another way he contacted customer relations).

Eventually he got an email, telling him that AA does not do such things (like paying for 4 days hotel or offering to pay for food expenses), but as a token....blah blah blah... they deposited 20,000 AA miles in his account. Which he sure preferred!

goodo
Old Apr 19, 2003, 7:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ExpoTrac:

Date: Nov 2002
AAdvantage Status: PLT
Fare class: Coach upgraded to Business with miles - LHR-BOS
What happened: In-seat Video System inoperable
Compensation: Return of 10K miles (of the 50K) used to upgrade each of us
Comments: I felt this was a fair request, as this is one of the reasons you "pay" to upgrade

</font>
Could you please explain what the difference in IFE is from coach to business on the 777 ? I have always found them to be the same ?
Old Apr 19, 2003, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
Date: Jan 2003
AAdvantage Status: Plat
Fare class: Y
What happened: Mechanical in ORD after leaving gate required a new aircraft. 3.5 hour delay in getting to Atlanta, causing me to miss the meetings I had scheduled there. But AA refused to reschedule my flights so I could go directly home, requiring me to fly ORD-ATL-STL-SEA. At least I got to visit 5 AC's in one day.
Compensation: Apology. Nothing else.
Comments:
Old Apr 19, 2003, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jace:
Looks like AA has a lot of complaints from you in your AA record... hope you never need a favor.</font>
Does anyone know if you can get a mark on your profile (similar to Elaine Benis's 'medical chart' on Seinfeld) that show's your a troublemaker?
Is there a way to see if you have a bad mark?
Can it be removed?
Can they see history (such as the trivial requests that have been alluded to)?
I get the feeling I had a 'mark' on my record more than 10 years ago when I got into an argument with an agent. I think it has been removed. I'm just curious.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
Could you please explain what the difference in IFE is from coach to business on the 777 ? I have always found them to be the same ? </font>
I don't know...I've never travelled coach in a 777!
I was assuming they were the same screens hanging down like the 757.
Old May 7, 2003, 5:17 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Date: Nov 02
Advantage Status: nada
Fare class: Discount Y
What happened: LAS-LAX flight had cabin pressure mechanical difficulties resulting in tremendous ear pain for about 10 minutes. (Ended up seeing the doctor and told that no permanent damage occurred).
Compensation: 7k miles
Comments: I emailed Customer Service through the AA.com form, received an immediate auto-reply and a lengthy apologetic email - with miles - 2 days later.

Date: Apr 03
AAdvantage Status: PLT
Fare class: Discount Y
What happened: Mechanical problems delayed the plane from leaving LAX to get to MRY where it was scheduled to depart at 3:30 (the flight I was scheduled for). Departure time continued to be delayed and then we were notified that the plane was not coming and we were put on the next flight at 5:40. (A personal consequence - I missed my family's Easter Dinner). I overheard other pax saying that they thought AA held the flight in LAX because our flight was underbooked, so that AA would only run the one flight back at maximum capacity. I emailed AA yesterday because I was curious if that is what happened and received an email TODAY explaining that AA would never not run a scheduled flight for revenue purposes, an apology for missing my dinner, and to my surprise, miles.
Compensation: 5,000

I've posted this cause I was truly impressed with AA. (I just sent a thank you email back to the AmericanAirlines WeCaare 001 address and I'm hoping someone in customer service will eventually read it).
Old May 7, 2003, 10:15 pm

date: jan 2003
aadvantage status: exp
fare class: J
flight: 87 ord lhr(the last ord lhr flight of the day)
What happened: the truck that pushes the plane away from the gate broke. they could not manage to get the yellow bar off the plane and on to another truck. took about 7 hours to fix. missed my connection to ams on ba (cheep ticket) the purser told me that since i was on a ow flight ba would know i was late. when i got to the ba counter in lhr they told me i missed my flight and they could not put me on any of the two remaining flights bec. my ticket was too cheep. i went back to t3 and aa called them. to make a long story short aa gave me a new ticket for the next lhr ams flight and i also recived an email the next day (un solicited)saying i would recieve a travel voucher good for future use. two weeks go by and in the mail comes a $250 voucher.
Old May 8, 2003, 8:39 am

Date March 2003
AAdvantage Status PLT
Fare class Discount Y
What happened Food poisoning which I suspected I got from the Bistro Bag. Vomiting for two days, vacation ruined.
Compensation 2 K miles
Comments E-mailed customer service. Did not ask for anything, mainly wanted to get them to check their catering standards. Miles were a nice gesture.

If CharlesMD was a real doctor, he woulda realized that it usually takes 12-18 hours after ingesting the bad food to show signs of food poisoning.

Swimmin' M
Old May 8, 2003, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
I try not to complain unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. On a recent flight from DFW to GRU in business class the guy sitting next to me was a real jerk. He was bragging how he would send a complaint via email to AA.com for every flight he took. He told me even if he was happy he would complain about something and he said he always got miles.

To me this was disgusting. I even told the guy that I thought that wasn't really a good thing to do and they might flag him as a troublemaker. It was ironic because all the FA's treated this guy like he had the plague so either he was always a jerk on this route or somehow they were informed he always complains.

I agree with the others that complaining for no real reason over and over could get you flagged or cause problems when you REALLY need action to be taken. I'm not implying that the author of the original post was doing this.

Date: December 2002

AAdvantage Status: Platinum

Fare class: Business

What happened/compensation: I was flying from my city to Miami then on to Buenos Aires. When I arrived in Buenos Aires my bags were missing. I was told they would be on the next flight arriving 3 hours later. They gave me the option of waiting at the airport or bringing them to my apartment. They brought them to my apartment. When I opened them up I discovered many clothes missing. Only designer label expensive stuff was missing.

I immediately called the American office at the airport and they gave me a file #. I was told to give that file # to the airport in USA when I came home. Upon arrival back to USA I gave them the #. They told me I had to have receipts for all the items missing. Luckily I save all my receipts. I had to fill out some forms and mail them in. I had over $900 in losses but they only could reimburse $697 or so. It wasn't worth filing the rest with homeowner's because of deductible.

Comments: I never sent in a complaint email to AA.com. Even though I was angry that obviously the baggage handlers in Miami stole my clothes I figured that American did all it could do and I was happy to get most of my items reimbursed.

------------------
Have fun today because tomorrow you may regret not enjoying yesterday...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.