Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE:,Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:52 pm
askworldtraveler

Hat On - again....

Trying to keep the thread open - PM to several of you - and regarding anything else - that's what PM's are for.

Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:53 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by tom911
I hope you haven't sent this letter yet.
I thought it was a beautiful letter. By all natural rights it should result in some miles. But I don't think I've ever received miles for mishandled baggage. Travel voucher, maybe. Reimbursement, maybe. Miles? Never. Please post back (provided, of course, that your account is not suspended ) to let us know the result!
Old Dec 19, 2005, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA
Several Time miles given with an email

Date: Summer 2004
Flight: AE ORD to Chat
Issue: Flight Crew had worked more than the regulations. All PAX where on board awaiting the pilot, pilot did not show and spent the night in Chicago.
Compensation: 15k Miles from the ORD Supervisor

Date: Dec '05
Flight: Dec 8 & 14 ORD to CHA canceled each time
Compensation: Awaiting Reply

Last edited by CorpAcctMgr; Dec 19, 2005 at 7:49 pm
Old Dec 19, 2005, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
OT, but what did Chuckie do now?

Cheers.
What's the FT record for shortest time between suspensions?
Old Dec 19, 2005, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I thought it was a beautiful letter. By all natural rights it should result in some miles. But I don't think I've ever received miles for mishandled baggage. Travel voucher, maybe. Reimbursement, maybe. Miles? Never. Please post back (provided, of course, that your account is not suspended ) to let us know the result!
Thank you. And for anyone following along at home several of the nastier commments directed at me were deleted. Which explains my tone perhaps in my posts that were not. I'm really a nice young fellow.

And I don't think Cathay owes me a whole lot besides the $500HK or so they gave me at the time to get toiletries, which is a fair amount of cash. Unfortunately it wasn't really all that helpful, since I couldn't get contact lens cases and the stuff I needed at 1am, despite some walking around, and I was toasted after the long layover in BKK and the trip in general.

I really am just writing to keep them in the loop -- and in good faith if they'd like to give me more compensation it would be fair, it really did suck hard to deal with all the hassles. I spent a lot of money and valuable time on this short trip, and to lose about 6-7 hours out of 36 or so in HK dealing with this was really a hardship. And the money you pay for the tickets is in exchange for delivering you and your luggage, the luggage transport is not incidental to an airline's service, it's an integral part of what you're paying for, and I paid several thousand dollars.

If they go out of their way on compensation they'll earn a die-hard loyal customer with a lot of years of travelling left in him. If not, eh... strike one and maybe the end of it. If I were them a couple thousand miles would be a good investment. But I don't make them kinds of decisions. We'll see.

Interesting to see some people who think the letter is terrible and some who say it's really well written. No accounting for taste. Let's see what THEY think.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by gemac
What's the FT record for shortest time between suspensions?
I've just spent 5 minutes reading all of today's posts by one FT'er to answer brp's question...unfortunately, in the next Superman movie "faster than a speeding bullet" will be replaced by "faster than a deleting Moderator".
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Flailey
Interesting to see some people who think the letter is terrible and some who say it's really well written. No accounting for taste. Let's see what THEY think.
Which, in the end, is all that really matters

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:17 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I can't recall anyone saying the letter was terrible. I certainly didn't (but then I'm just home from an 7 hour shift at the PD and may have missed a good part of what was posted here). There's some grammatical errors that, when fixed, would make it much easier to read (for instance, sentences that should end, instead of continuing on with placement of a comma). These are the types of things that I would revise. I don't have any issues about you complaining about service (Lord knows we all do that at one time or another).

The sentence I highlighted previously, "I booked my ticket on Cathay as I am a frequent flier on American Airlines and Cathay is a partner, and recommended booking with Cathay" would lead one to believe that Cathay recommended booking Cathay. It's a matter of punctuation and sentence structure. Does that sentence, for instance, really convey what you want it to convey? To me it doesn't, and it's one of the items I would fix before sending it.

In any event, good luck on your quest to secure compensation, whatever the form
Old Dec 20, 2005, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
I can't recall anyone saying the letter was terrible. I certainly didn't (but then I'm just home from an 7 hour shift at the PD and may have missed a good part of what was posted here). There's some grammatical errors that, when fixed, would make it much easier to read (for instance, sentences that should end, instead of continuing on with placement of a comma). These are the types of things that I would revise. I don't have any issues about you complaining about service (Lord knows we all do that at one time or another).

The sentence I highlighted previously, "I booked my ticket on Cathay as I am a frequent flier on American Airlines and Cathay is a partner, and recommended booking with Cathay" would lead one to believe that Cathay recommended booking Cathay. It's a matter of punctuation and sentence structure. Does that sentence, for instance, really convey what you want it to convey? To me it doesn't, and it's one of the items I would fix before sending it.

In any event, good luck on your quest to secure compensation, whatever the form
That sentence has pronoun-antecedent problems. Obviously the implication being that American recommended that I book on their partner, which is you. Yes, in that one my grammar is wrong.

Ironically, however, it does sort of match the english style of the Cathay people I kept talking to on the phone. So perhaps they'll prefer it.

I fired it off and didn't proof it. It's a shot in the dark. Eh. Why did this thread become about me? Let's hear more stories of other compensation situations -- I'm especially interested to see other people's complete letters now as well, to see other ways people have gone about it.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I fired it off and didn't proof it.
Great. Good luck! Have you looked on the Cathay forum to see how incidents were similarly dealt with there (maybe not with miles, but with compensation in general)? Do they have a pattern of offering compensation?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why did this thread become about me? Let's hear more stories of other compensation situations -- I'm especially interested to see other people's complete letters now as well, to see other ways people have gone about it.
I think it became about you because you asked a question in a thread generally used for people to just post compensation results. It may not have been the best place for a question given the nature of the other posts. Well, you asked.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
I think it became about you because you asked a question in a thread generally used for people to just post compensation results. It may not have been the best place for a question given the nature of the other posts. Well, you asked.

Cheers.
See it's unstoppable.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
His comment, by contrast, was off topic and rude. Reading into what he wrote does not lead to your point.
How in the world could this comment:

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Why do you think AA would give you miles for a problem you had on another airline?
... be considered rude or off-topic? I was about to post the exact same question myself. Your reply to him OTOH, was extemely rude.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tazi
How in the world could this comment:

... be considered rude or off-topic? I was about to post the exact same question myself. Your reply to him OTOH, was extemely rude.
Please read the first line of post #155

And let this die for lords sake.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 2:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See it's unstoppable.
What's "unstoppable"? You basically hijacked a thread with a particular format and topic to ask a question that didn't fit the general content of the thread. Then you asked why this general thread about compensation results had become "about you". If you didn't want an honest answer, why ask?

Happy Holidays.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.