Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:56 pm

Peak times at LHR?

Great info in this thread, unfortunately due to some booking conditions, I had to book separate flights on VS and BA, connecting in LHR.

Any gut feeling on whether this will be doable - having to go landside and re-check in both ways since neither airline will interline bags on separate tickets (will still try to ask the desk agent each time but not expecting anything).

Any other tips or requests to try to speed it up (ask for some urgent tag on bags, sign up for Fast Track somehow ( US citizen))?

Flight 1: Wed at end of Sept, VS flight arriving 11am in T3
BA departing 2:15pm from T5

Flight 2: Sat in mid-Oct BA arriving at 9AM
VS departing 11:30AM

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I'm arriving in T3 on AA 80 from DFW, connecting to BA to STR out of T5. 3:15 connection time. Business class award ticket. Should I use the AA Arrivals lounge or is it better to go to the BA lounge in T5?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
If you want to shower, use the AA lounge and then change to T5. If you don't want to shower, head straight to T5.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
If you want to shower, use the AA lounge and then change to T5. If you don't want to shower, head straight to T5.
BA T5 lounges have showers. Why are you suggesting go to the AA Lounge?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
BA T5 ^
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
BA T5 lounges have showers. Why are you suggesting go to the AA Lounge?
I find that the AA lounge showers tend to be larger, nicer, and in general less busy.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I had BY FAR my fastest T5-T3 transfer ever a couple weeks ago. 29 minutes from the time the bus pulled away from the aircraft, until I was through T3 security.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:53 pm
Suspended

I find that the AA lounge showers tend to be larger, nicer, and in general less busy.
Is this the AA Arrivals lounge or the AC you are talking about.

At T5 (Main Lounge Pavilion) I have never had more than a 5-10 minute wait for the showers. At 5B it generally seems empty and have never waited. I do agree the prefab showers in the main T5 are less than impressive. 5B seem nicer as I recall.

However, if one uses the AArivals lounge at T3 they then have to go landside to T5. Not sure how convenient that ends up being.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, AA EX PLT 1MM+, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT, etc.
Originally Posted by dawheat
Great info in this thread, unfortunately due to some booking conditions, I had to book separate flights on VS and BA, connecting in LHR.

Any gut feeling on whether this will be doable - having to go landside and re-check in both ways since neither airline will interline bags on separate tickets (will still try to ask the desk agent each time but not expecting anything).

Any other tips or requests to try to speed it up (ask for some urgent tag on bags, sign up for Fast Track somehow ( US citizen))?

Flight 1: Wed at end of Sept, VS flight arriving 11am in T3
BA departing 2:15pm from T5

Flight 2: Sat in mid-Oct BA arriving at 9AM
VS departing 11:30AM

Thanks
If you end up having to go landside take a taxi between terminals. I've done this before and it is much faster than the bus BUT tip the driver 20 GBP (or more if they're particularily friendly) since they were likely hoping for a fare into the city. Of course, if you don't have to go landside that's a different story.

P.S. Welcome dawheat. You may hold the record for longest lurker! Oct 2006 to July 2010 first post ^

Last edited by TheFlyingFoodie; Jul 31, 2010 at 8:44 pm Reason: Add welcome P.S.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:23 am

Is this the AA Arrivals lounge or the AC you are talking about.
The AA Arrivals lounge, since that is what the OP asked about.

At T5 (Main Lounge Pavilion) I have never had more than a 5-10 minute wait for the showers. At 5B it generally seems empty and have never waited. I do agree the prefab showers in the main T5 are less than impressive. 5B seem nicer as I recall.

However, if one uses the AArivals lounge at T3 they then have to go landside to T5. Not sure how convenient that ends up being.
Ah - you may be right about 5B. I have never showered there. But getting back to 5A from 5B is a pain, and the OP would not know where his flight departs from until a few hours before the flight. And the AA Arrivals showers are great, and there are so many of them that there is never a wait.

I find that getting landside at T3 and then switching to T5 is not significantly slower than doing it airside. FastTrack immigration is usually very quick, and changing terminals on the HEx is as fast as doing it on the bus. You end up eventually joining the same security line at T5 anyhow. In fact you may have the option of T5 South FastTrack if you go landside, which can often be less busy.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 1:10 pm
Suspended

The AA Arrivals lounge, since that is what the OP asked about.

Ah - you may be right about 5B. I have never showered there. But getting back to 5A from 5B is a pain, and the OP would not know where his flight departs from until a few hours before the flight. And the AA Arrivals showers are great, and there are so many of them that there is never a wait.

I find that getting landside at T3 and then switching to T5 is not significantly slower than doing it airside. FastTrack immigration is usually very quick, and changing terminals on the HEx is as fast as doing it on the bus. You end up eventually joining the same security line at T5 anyhow. In fact you may have the option of T5 South FastTrack if you go landside, which can often be less busy.
I wasn't sure if connecting pax can use the AC these days at T3 (I know in the past you had to be departing from T3 to use the AC). I found HEX a loooooooooong walk to T1 from the T1/T3 stop. I take it that the stop is closer to T3?

You are correct about T5B, and technically you are only supposed to use it if your flight departs from there.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Priority Pass, HHonors, Alamo Insider, Starwood Preferred Gold
Originally Posted by TheFlyingFoodie
If you end up having to go landside take a taxi between terminals. I've done this before and it is much faster than the bus BUT tip the driver 20 GBP (or more if they're particularily friendly) since they were likely hoping for a fare into the city. Of course, if you don't have to go landside that's a different story.

P.S. Welcome dawheat. You may hold the record for longest lurker! Oct 2006 to July 2010 first post ^
I'm arriving in T3 on AA 100 from JFK, connecting to BA to CPH out of T5. 3:30 connection time. This will be mi first time on LHR. Do I have to go to T5 landside or airside?? And on my way back to JFK from CPH do I have to check in on AA counter or BA??

PS: if I only have J ticket for my JFK-LHR flight could I still use the arrival lounge BA or AA lounge???
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by m_abbott
I'm arriving in T3 on AA 100 from JFK, connecting to BA to CPH out of T5. 3:30 connection time. This will be mi first time on LHR. Do I have to go to T5 landside or airside?? And on my way back to JFK from CPH do I have to check in on AA counter or BA??

PS: if I only have J ticket for my JFK-LHR flight could I still use the arrival lounge BA or AA lounge???
1. You can go airside via a transfer bus from T3 to T5

2. In CPH you will check in with BA. Assuming both tickets are in the same record BA in CPH can give you your LHR-JFK AA bp. If not you will go to the AA transit desk at T3 - again all airside.

3. If you transfer directly to T5 you can use the BA J lounge as a OW Sapphire. There are two J lounges in the main building and one in 5B, but you would only go there if your flight to CPH departs from a B gate. The T5 BA J lounges have shower facilities so no need to go landside. Make sure you have your AA Plat card as BA requires it and your BP for lounge entry. You will also have access to a BA lounge departing CPH on your return.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Priority Pass, HHonors, Alamo Insider, Starwood Preferred Gold
1. You can go airside via a transfer bus from T3 to T5

2. In CPH you will check in with BA. Assuming both tickets are in the same record BA in CPH can give you your LHR-JFK AA bp. If not you will go to the AA transit desk at T3 - again all airside.

3. If you transfer directly to T5 you can use the BA J lounge as a OW Sapphire. There are two J lounges in the main building and one in 5B, but you would only go there if your flight to CPH departs from a B gate. The T5 BA J lounges have shower facilities so no need to go landside. Make sure you have your AA Plat card as BA requires it and your BP for lounge entry. You will also have access to a BA lounge departing CPH on your return.
Thanks a lot for the info!!!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:58 pm

There are two ways to connect from T5 to T3.

Airside: You don't clear immigration. Follow the signs to Flight Connections, and you will take a shuttle bus to T3. I have actually never used this route so I'm not sure if there is a Fast Track line at FC, but if there is, you should be able to use it based on the J boarding pass from BA.

Landside: Instead of going to flight connections, go to the arrivals area and clear immigration. Clearing immigration takes you "landside". I always do this, but only because I typically have enough time to meet a few friends near the airport. This is a longer process as you will clear immigration (there is a Fast Track line which is usually very quick), need to take an underground train (shared with the Heathrow Express) to transfer to T3, and reclear security at T3.

The landside method CAN be faster, depending on how bad the lines at FC are.

FYI "J" refers to business class, which you indicated you will be travelling on, in your original post.

So, if I go airside I dont have to clear immigration and can go directly to my other flight???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.