Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
most recent (few weeks ago), AA ORD to LHR, followed by a hop BA to ARN. No problems, whatsoever. There was no 'elite' pre-boarding. Just get your butt on the plane. It was fine.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by HNL
No problems with the luggage, provided it really is only 22" and not over stuffed. The BAA (airport not the airline) luggage sizers are unforgiving.

Upon arrival at LHR follow the purple Flight Connections signs to the coach stop and board the coach to terminal 5. You will clear security there and then have access to the BA Galleries lounges (three to choose from). Bring your AAdvantage Platinum card to present to the BA Lounge Agents.
I believe you can also take the Heathrow Express(free) to T5. Don't know if it's a longer walk to board it than the bus in T3, but it's a nice ride.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
I had no problem with the same set of carryons two weeks ago in LHR.
Ditto.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:03 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by arkangel
I believe you can also take the Heathrow Express(free) to T5. Don't know if it's a longer walk to board it than the bus in T3, but it's a nice ride.
The Heathrow Express is Landside after Immigration and Customs..not a Good suggestion for International to International connectiorns. Remain air-side and take the Connections bus.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:04 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arkangel
One must clear the UK Immigration and customs formalities to use the train connection.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Right y'all are. I did it this past summer however, connecting on to HEL, but had about 3hrs. between flights, so no problem. Actually, only took a total of about 35 min. from T3 gate to T5 security, but I had a Fast Track pass for UK Immigrations. As it turned out, I really didn't need it. However, if time is of the essence, then the bus is the way to go.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Daughter did T5-T3 in 55 minutes, from a late BA flight to connecting AA flight. (LHR-DFW).

The FAs shooed my daughter on board, told her to grab her seat and shut the door behind her.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:55 pm

OK, just wanted to close-loop on my actual experience:
1) My connection time 2hr 35mn from T3 to T5 was indeed enough. It was very efficient.

2) Wasn't allowed to use FastTrack security line; they checked my BP (only BA world trav). However, my line moved much faster, so there.

3) AA in MIA issued both boarding passes, priority-tagged my luggage (which was the 2nd bag to appear in Dubai). No problems.

4) In LHR, I was unable to upgrade BA world trav+
The upgrade couldn't be done at the customer service kiosk manned by two agents in T5 or at the departure gate (I'm such a newbie!). They directed me to the Customer Service office at the other end of the terminal; I didn't want to risk the gate closing without me.
On the return from DXB-LHR, I was able to upgrade for $210. It was a 2:00 AM flight; I had an empty row to myself. Worth it.

5) I brought only the 20" wheeled carryon and an expandable messenger bag/purse; when I wanted to carryon both on some flights, I was able to.
HOWEVER, I did encounter some stiff resistance at Dubai DXB's BA priority check-in counter about "two carryons flying to the USA".
I had to show my oneworld Emerald/AA EXP card + printout of AA's travel policy re: carryon exemptions for elites to take both bags with me.

6) In T5, I didn't partake of the lounges (due to err, time and shopping...). On the return, I had a very good experience at T3's Admirals Club (shower, food, drinks).

All in all, an excellent transit experience in LHR.

-------------------------------------------------------
I have AA EXP/oneworld Emerald status.

I will fly ticketed AA roundtrip MIA-DXB via LHR.
Have not connected at LHR in a while, hence my posting.

The AA legs (MIA-LHR) + (LHR-MIA) are upgraded using eVIPs.
The codeshare BA legs (LHR-DXB) + (DXB-LHR) are economy -world traveller class.

Questions:
1) Outbound, I have 2hr 35mn connection time - is this enough?
LHR website currently shows 120 mins, yet it's now down to 90 mins.

*Transfer drill: Deplane at T3, follow purple FLIGHT CONNECTIONS signs to the shuttle for T5, take the lift, walk purposefully, don't make eye contact w/ carryon dragons, undergo security*

2) As oneworld Emerald, may I still use FastTrack security line at T5, even though I'm ticketed BA world traveller/econ to DXB?

3) AA at MIA will issue both boarding passes.
Will I need a BA boarding pass for the DXB flight to replace the AA-issued one?

4) Is there a way to upgrade the BA legs upon arrival at LHR?
I checked on this via AA EXP agent; net-net, AA re-tickets at cost of full J class tix. Too rich for me.

5) Luggage: 21" wheeled carryon + 17" wheeled rolling tote.
I'm very petite, and the 21"carryon always looks huge next to me; twice (MAD and MIA), I was made to check it even though it is w/in regulations.
So the 21" will be checked through to DXB.
Will carryon only 17" + camera bag.

6) LHR T5 lounge access:
Do oneworld Emerald still get access to T5 lounges (GalleriesFirst, GalleriesClubSouth)? It seems YMMV?
I printed the oneworld Lounge Access page to bring with me, just in case.
But what really happens at T5?

-----------------------------------------------
Old Mar 20, 2010, 3:59 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, 4mm
Anyone connecting through LHR on a BA flight should check BA flight status.

BA cabin crew strike caused my LHR-CPH connection to be cancelled this morning. Luckily for me, enough BA crew are crossing the picket lines to operate some flights and I was able to rebook on a later flight - YMMV.

And BTW, the bus ride from T3 to T5 was all of 8 minutes today. Pretty painless indeed.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by mistik321

2) Wasn't allowed to use FastTrack security line; they checked my BP (only BA world trav). However, my line moved much faster, so there.
FWIW, if AA issues the boarding pass (with PRIORITY AACCESS stamp,) this is good enough to use the FastTrack security line even when travelling in Economy.
Old May 31, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold
T3-T5 possible Connection

Is there anything in the works once the AA/BA approvalsare final that there will be a better way to connect at LHR.

Has there been consideration of extending the terminal train connecting Terminal 5 with its B and C concourses, to Terminal 3 since the distance between C and T3 doesn't seem too great. This could possible speed up the connection between the terminals.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
AA to BA Question

Gentlepeople,

Having not transited LHR in over 10 years, I wanted to consult the experts on this forum with a question. I am connecting in LHR from AA 46, arriving at 10:00AM from ORD. Lady Astrojets and I will be in F. My question: is a BA connect to GLA at 12:15pm pushing things?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:39 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyastrojets
Gentlepeople,

Having not transited LHR in over 10 years, I wanted to consult the experts on this forum with a question. I am connecting in LHR from AA 46, arriving at 10:00AM from ORD. Lady Astrojets and I will be in F. My question: is a BA connect to GLA at 12:15pm pushing things?
No problem at all. When you arrive from ORD follow the purple flight connections signs and take the bus to Terminal 5 for your connecting flight. I'm not sure if you will be made to clear immigration formalities since the GLA flight is a domestic one - you may want to ask that question of the BA forum.

Once you get airside again keep your AA boarding pass handy so you can access the BA Galleries First Lounge.

Edit To Add:
On the BAA Website it lists the connection procedures from International Arrival in T3 to a UK domestic flight in T5.
http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by HNL
No problem at all. When you arrive from ORD follow the purple flight connections signs and take the bus to Terminal 5 for your connecting flight. I'm not sure if you will be made to clear immigration formalities since the GLA flight is a domestic one - you may want to ask that question of the BA forum.

Once you get airside again keep your AA boarding pass handy so you can access the BA Galleries First Lounge.

Edit To Add:
On the BAA Website it lists the connection procedures from International Arrival in T3 to a UK domestic flight in T5.
http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/
Thanks much HNL! I may wait until the next flight just to enjoy the Galleries lounge. I should add that the AA and BA flights are booked separately, but hopefully, that won't make much difference.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
Thanks much HNL! I may wait until the next flight just to enjoy the Galleries lounge. I should add that the AA and BA flights are booked separately, but hopefully, that won't make much difference.
Shouldn't be a problem at all. I fly LAX-LHR frequently on AA and almost always book the LHR-EDI leg separately with BA and have never had a problem. Just bring the printout of your BA flight info with you and the check-in agent at ORD should be able to print your boarding pass for your flight to Glasgow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.