Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 7:48 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
I guess I'm wondering whether the problems at LHR are just delays versus losing things entirely.

Separate question -- if I decided to check my bags all the way through, is it still faster to transfer by HEX given that I can do fast-track customs? I've connected from t1 to t3 air-side before, and that has taken me 45 mins.
I just did the T3 to T5 transfer with checked bags in June. No problems at all. Just be careful about fasttrak. You have to be in a premium cabin on the T5 leg. They seem to be quite insistent about that. It took me only 30 minutes to exit the plane to lounge in T5. Most of the time was on the bus between terminals. Of course YMMV.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.8 mm), HH Diamond
Heathrow lounges

I have an upcoming trip transiting at Heathrow from AA TATL in F at T3, to BA in J at T5. About 4 hours in the terminal.

The lounge choices available to us are of course vast: AAdmirals, Flagship, AA Arrivals, Terraces, Galleries, Galleries First, Iberia, Cathay, etc, etc, etc.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

On a related note, I have not been through Heathrow since T5 opened. What are the transportation and security issues in moving from T3 to T5?
Old Aug 16, 2008, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Since you are transiting, T3 lounges aren't an option (well, not w/o considerable work).

Terraces at T5 would be the way to go. The South lounge has the spa where you can shower, etc... so no need to use the AA arrivals lounge. I've heard conflicting stories about access to the BA Concorde Lounge at T5. Some have reported success accessing it from AA F, but I believe the rule is that it is reserved for BA F tickets.

As for the transfer itself: not radically different than other transfers, follow the signs, take the bus, etc.. the only big issue (IMO) is carry on luggage. AA is far more forgiving about luggage size than the BAA staff at T5. If your bag measures more than 21 inches in length (including wheels, handle, etc..) then be prepared to have to check it.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 1:34 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Def. not as bad as it used to be, not as much of the "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" bus experience thing thru the bowels of Heathrow...but, that said, I'd agree with the previous suggestion to pass on T-3. The only lounge you'd be able to get to @ T-3 w/o a LOT of hassle would be AA's Arrivals Lounge (the rest of your options--Flagship, A-Club, Cathay, etc. are for departures FROM T-3) and while it's a lot nicer than it's predecessor, it's not as good as BA's offerings in T-5.

Last edited by skye1; Aug 16, 2008 at 5:12 pm
Old Aug 16, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT
The new Terraces south lounge in T5 is really nice--very roomy with a big selection of food and drink, showers, etc. And the lounge dragons were actually NICE --they smiled and welcomed us instead of the usual old snarl.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
As you've arrived in F on a oneworld carrier you should be able to use the Galleries First lounge. This is in the south end of Terminal 5. It'll have everything you'd have got in the AA Arrivals lounge in T3 and more.

Enjoy! The T5 experience is rather good IMO and as a tip use the elevators if you head out to T5B. It is much faster than the escalators.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA-PLT 2.0mm MR-PLT HH-DIA
I arrived at Heathrow this past Monday and went to the south end F Terraces Lounge, and it is top shelf. I agree with the previous posts, get off the plane, get to T-5, and go to Terraces, it is worth it, and very relaxing.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cmac2869
I arrived at Heathrow this past Monday and went to the south end F Terraces Lounge, and it is top shelf. I agree with the previous posts, get off the plane, get to T-5, and go to Terraces, it is worth it, and very relaxing.
Agreed. Galleries First - A great lounge with some wonderful vintage champagne.

Last edited by g1ant; Aug 17, 2008 at 1:52 pm
Old Aug 17, 2008, 4:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA
I am 0 for 1 with baggage through LHR. Terminal 5 departure on BA. AA inbound. I did not get my bag delivered for three days. Do not check your bag. I have had only one experience but it was miserable.
Seems that things are improving, according to the BA Board:
Originally Posted by xxxxx
Last month BA had their best transfer baggage performance since July 1994. You shouldn't worry at all.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 4:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by nbevan
Seems that things are improving, according to the BA Board:
It certainly seems this way. Punctuality rates have also massively improved but we as customers are being asked to play our part in this. Thus, it is necessary that connecting passengers arrive at the T5 Flight Connection Centre no less than 35 minutes before the flight departure time.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by Prospero
It certainly seems this way. Punctuality rates have also massively improved but we as customers are being asked to play our part in this. Thus, it is necessary that connecting passengers arrive at the T5 Flight Connection Centre no less than 35 minutes before the flight departure time.
But if your arriving flight is late, it seems that even getting to the T5 Flight Connection Centre more than 35 min before the connecting flight may not be enough ...
Originally Posted by whmere
I transferred into T5 last week from a transatlantic arrival in T4. Unusually for LHR, we landed on time. Typically for LHR, it then took us 1 hour 15 minutes to reach the gate and deplane. I had an AMS connection leaving at 11:35 and we deplaned at about 10:30 so was tight, but doable. Got on the transfer bus (makes me so proud to be British... put put put, chug chug chug ). I get to security at T5 in pretty good time: 10:56. However I wasn't allowed through as apparently I was too late for my connection. I went to the service desk and they explained that I had to be at security 35 minutes before departure. Well: I was. 39 minutes actually. They were very apologetic but told me there was nothing they could do: I had been unloaded from my connection when my inbound arrived at the gate. The next flight was cancelled, and so they put me on a flight that didn't get out until 4pm.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: AA
advice on this connection

I arrive from business class, into LHR from RDU on AA. The I transfer to coach BA flight to PRG. Only 2 hour layover.
Issue: My business partner wants to check her bag. Do I put my foot down on this??!!? I of course only carry, but she has a lot of things to bring.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 8:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
After reading the previous posts, what do you think? We are all reporting the T-5 baggage and delay problems seem to have been over for at least a couple of months.

And if you carry US regulation 22", at LHR it will probably be taken from you anyway. Even if you put your foot down.

Originally Posted by sambb
I arrive from business class, into LHR from RDU on AA. The I transfer to coach BA flight to PRG. Only 2 hour layover.
Issue: My business partner wants to check her bag. Do I put my foot down on this??!!? I of course only carry, but she has a lot of things to bring.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT
sambb. we were in business class on AA 2 weeks ago, connecting to BA in LHR with 3 hr layover. None of our three checked bags made the connecting flight. Normally we don't check bags, but we were on a 2 week cruise and just had too much stuff, plus my rollaboard that I carry on on AA is too big for BA's rules.
We did get the luggage the next morning, but it made the start of the trip stressful.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by g1ant
Agreed. Terraces First - A great lounge with some wonderful vintage champagne.
Without being a pedant, the OP will want to look out for 'Galleries First'.

Terraces was the business class lounge concept which is being gradually replaced with the 'Galleries'. What was 'First' and 'Terraces' is now Galleries First and Galleries Club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.