Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by millionmiler
It used to be worse. For quite a while passengers were only allowed one bad . . .
Would that be my bad, or your bad?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 8:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You hit the nail on the head here.

When approaching the LHR carry-on police, it's imperative to walk with authority by them, no eye contact, smiling, chatting, etc. This goes for T5 as well as T3.

Just curious, how did you escape without the lady putting your bag on the belt? Luckily I've never been stopped at T5...but from the looks of it, isn't the bag tag printer & belt right under the escalators that go up to security?
And don't be within the first few people at Flight Connections. They have more time to scrutinize things then. We got caught twice on the same trip to/from AMS. Transiting through LGW on the way out mrs. brp (bag maybe 1/2" too long as well) was forced to check. Of course, BA misplaced the bag until the night before we left.

On the way back, BAA tried this again going to T3. Said we had to go and check it in. So, cleared customs (got the Fasttrack immigration guy to let us go through when we told him the story). Simply walked to Fasttrack security and re-cleared in to T3. No checked bag. Not the most honest thing to do? Who gives a flying %$^# with these kinds of rules

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 8:49 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkedGuy
Thanks for your reply. I should have qualified that I'm aware of the past and present situation at LHR, but my point was that the enforcement was particularly onerous (yet inconsistent) at the arrival point of the inbound T5 transfer area yesterday. Neither the security checkpoint nor the BA gate agents had a problem with my own any other similarly-sized bag.
This level of inconsistency is also in keeping with the past and present situation, and also not new, unfortunately.

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by brp
This level of inconsistency is also in keeping with the past and present situation, and also not new, unfortunately.

Frankly you wouldn't like consistency - that would mean all airlines would enforce the rules (ie a guage) absolutely at all times.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
LHR Carry-on Hassles at BA T5 During Transfer From AA T3

LHR Carry-on Hassles at BA T5 During Transfer From AA T3

has been merged into this consolidated thread dealing with T-3 to / from T-5 transfers for members' ease in finding the information.

/Moderator
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Walk forcefully and with purpose, avoiding eye contact, with the ability to ignore hand gestures. Trying not to be the only people running the gauntlet at a time is good advice too.

Skedguy while i admire your tenacity the downside of bolting once stopped could be severe- think of the body cavity search you would get in the US.

The worst of it in being tagged is you have to clear immigration to the UK to check your bag, adding as much as an hour to the process, and quite possibly missing a connection.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernardd
Frankly you wouldn't like consistency - that would mean all airlines would enforce the rules (ie a guage) absolutely at all times.
That's an excellent point. In an ideal world, it would be possible to know which bags will fit on which aircraft and decide accordingly. But, with the number of airlines and aircraft that transit LHR (or any airport, really) that is unrealistic. I do think a built-in leeway for premium cabins should be part of the rules though, with the understanding that there is simply more space per person, and these things will fit.

I think the annoying thing about the inconsistency is when one gets nicked while the next person through waltzes by with an even larger rollaboard. I guess I'm OK with the inconsistency since I generally know what to do to fall on the proper side of it most of the time.

(They gave us each a beer on a WN flight and even told us to keep our drink coupons, ostensibly due to the friendly banter during boarding )

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by brp
In an ideal world, it would be possible to know which bags will fit on which aircraft and decide accordingly. But, with the number of airlines and aircraft that transit LHR (or any airport, really) that is unrealistic.

There's certainly an argument for consistency within each alliance if the airlines are promoting seamless transfers between partners.

Meantime, for those that care to check (I hadn't until just now!) the surprise is the BA rule at 50 dimensional inches is actually slight MORE generours than the AA rule at 45 dimensional inches. My annecdotal response is the AA limits are universally ignored, flouted, violated etc to the point of being meaningless, though I'm fed up with seeing people re-packing overstuffed suitcases in the aisles so they can be squeezed into the MD80 overheads, and of course waiting while they're wrenched out after landing. As we say in the Queens English, that's taking the piss, and there is a case for AA clamping down a little to expedite boarding.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:04 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's certainly an argument for consistency within each alliance if the airlines are promoting seamless transfers between partners.

Meantime, for those that care to check (I hadn't until just now!) the surprise is the BA rule at 50 dimensional inches is actually slight MORE generours than the AA rule at 45 dimensional inches. My annecdotal response is the AA limits are universally ignored, flouted, violated etc to the point of being meaningless, though I'm fed up with seeing people re-packing overstuffed suitcases in the aisles so they can be squeezed into the MD80 overheads, and of course waiting while they're wrenched out after landing. As we say in the Queens English, that's taking the piss, and there is a case for AA clamping down a little to expedite boarding.
I use the eBags 21" Motherlode (I think it's called). It is always slim...seemingly no matter how much I put in. I think it may exceed some sizers (with wheels) by about 1/2 - 3/4". Yet it fits lengthwise in all bins that allow lengthwise rollaboards. No muss, no fuss on the in or out.

But I completely agree about the bags that practically require wrenching the door off the hinges to remove. That's abuse and should be more carefully scrutinized, IMO.

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
The maximum size permitted by BAA and BA is the IATA recommendation:
Cabin baggage should have maximum length of 22 in (56 cm), width of 18 in (45 cm) and depth of 10 in (25 cm). These dimensions include wheels, handles, side pockets, etc.
So a good candidate for a standard.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion
The BA lady made me go to size box, and technically my bag did not fit because the wheels made it about a ½ inch too long. Obviously, like all airline size boxes, the box is actually a little smaller than the overhead bin itself.
Everyone knows the box is smaller than an actual bin, but is it correctly sized to the BA listed dimensions of 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22ins x 18ins x 10ins)? If it's smaller than that... then that's garbage.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
As we say in the Queens English, that's taking the piss, and there is a case for AA clamping down a little to expedite boarding.
I wonder if the Queen would actually say that.... I know that the Prince would.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Delta Platinum, HH Silver, Hertz PC, National ExEl
Thanks for your reply. I should have qualified that I'm aware of the past and present situation at LHR, but my point was that the enforcement was particularly onerous (yet inconsistent) at the arrival point of the inbound T5 transfer area yesterday. Neither the security checkpoint nor the BA gate agents had a problem with my own any other similarly-sized bag.

My personal take is, I never got a problem transferring from T5 to T3 with my slightly oversized, i.e. not fitting the steel cage at security in T3.

I got snagged a couple of times at T5. The ones to watch out for are what I call "Yellow shirts", they seem to have an almost sadistic enjoyment making you check the bag. Last time I went through, no "yellow shirts" present -maybe on a break- I breezed through.

The same goes for those prior to security if checking in LHR in T3, not transfer. I walked slowly towards and then usually when they get busy with some hapless pax I walk straight by without looking left and right.

It's kind of silly, but what else to do? I always have a little bag stowed away in case I have to check the bag to take essentials on board. They more one argues and get agitated they more they enjoy the process.

Last edited by Artur; Mar 9, 2009 at 7:46 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by billgrates3
I wonder if the Queen would actually say that.... I know that the Prince would.

You have to wonder about Lillybets sense of humour when she offers such gems as "1992 is not a year on which I shall look back with undiluted pleasure. In the words of one of my more sympathetic correspondents, it has turned out to be an Annus Horribilis."
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Artur
It's kind of silly, but what else to do? I always have a little bag stowed away in case I have to check the bag to take essentials on board. They more one argues and get agitated they more the enjoy the process.

There are a lot of parrallels with exceeding the speed limit on a Freeway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.