Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
On the outbound, since you're upgraded on the AA flight, they'll give you a bright Fast Track pass on the plane. When you get to T5, the Fast Track BP check line is on the extreme right; once you go through that, you go up the escalator to security. Once upstairs the Fast Track line through Security is not always the fastest, as others have said.

Having two wheeled bags is really pushing it, IMHO. Good thing you're checking one of them; I would think even in the USA it would be tough sometimes to make the case that the 17" wheeled bag is a "personal item".

You'll have access ot the Galleries First lounge in T5 on the outbound, and the one in T3 on the return. Definitely use them; they're great. When I went through LHR a couple of weeks ago I hadn't yet received my card. It was no problem, especially if you have your AAdvantage number memorized. I did get a real "attitude" when using the T3 GalleriesClub North lounge a couple of years ago when I forgot to bring my PLT card, so difficulties do sometimes happen.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by mistik321
Hello:
I have AA EXP/oneworld Emerald status.

I will fly ticketed AA roundtrip MIA-DXB via LHR.
Have not connected at LHR in a while, hence my posting.

The AA legs (MIA-LHR) + (LHR-MIA) are upgraded using eVIPs.
The codeshare BA legs (LHR-DXB) + (DXB-LHR) are economy -world traveller class.

Questions:
1) Outbound, I have 2hr 35mn connection time - is this enough?

2) As oneworld Emerald, may I still use FastTrack security line at T5, even though I'm ticketed BA world traveller/econ to DXB?

3) AA at MIA will issue both boarding passes.
Will I need a BA boarding pass for the DXB flight to replace the AA-issued one?

4) Is there a way to upgrade the BA legs upon arrival at LHR?

5) Luggage: 21" wheeled carryon + 17" wheeled rolling tote.
I'm very petite, and the 21"carryon always looks huge next to me; twice (MAD and MIA), I was made to check it even though it is w/in regulations.
So the 21" will be checked through to DXB.
Will carryon only 17" + camera bag.

6) LHR T5 lounge access:
Do oneworld Emerald still get access to T5 lounges (GalleriesFirst, GalleriesClubSouth)? It seems YMMV?
I printed the oneworld Lounge Access page to bring with me, just in case.
But what really happens at T5?

Thanks in advance.
1. 2hrs 35min should be plenty. If Flight Connections is a zoo, you can transfer landside as well if you wish.

2. no. the transfer line is for BA premium passngers and Golds. you might wangle an exception but likely won't need it.

3. yes, you will likely be issued BA boarding passes at the connection center or gate.

4. only BA Executive Club points (or Asia Miles) can upgrade your BA legs. don't know for sure but it seems doubtful you can do that at the airport.

5. outbound you should be fine. Inbound, there is a strict one carryon rule for Europe to the US in effect at present. Monitor developments very carefully.

6. Your oneworld flight plus Emerald status gets you First lounge access (NOT Concorde Room, however).

Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
On the outbound, since you're upgraded on the AA flight, they'll give you a bright Fast Track pass on the plane. When you get to T5, the Fast Track BP check line is on the extreme right; once you go through that, you go up the escalator to security. Once upstairs the Fast Track line through Security is not always the fastest, as others have said.
The pink FastTrack passes they hand out on board are for landside immigration only. Wouldn't hurt to try it at Transfers, but that's not what they are for.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
The AA bright pink slip is for the immigration lines into the UK and, unless something has changed very recently, will make no difference for a T5 transit pax.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by martin33
15. outbound you should be fine. Inbound, there is a strict one carryon rule for Europe to the US in effect at present. Monitor developments very carefully.
Only for Kettles. AA elites and premium pax (the OP is both on this trip) are exempt; see aa.com

The pink FastTrack passes they hand out on board are for landside immigration only. Wouldn't hurt to try it at Transfers, but that's not what they are for.
I used them about a half-dozen times this way last year; never had a problem.

BTW, I've done OLCI for BA intra-europe flights, and so avoided check-in at the T5 transfer desk. 'don't know if that'll work to DXB. I've also gotten BA BP's printed out at an Admiral's Club in the past.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
6. Keep in mind that there is another Galleries Club lounge in T5B, if your DXB flight is departing from T5B, you may wish to head there instead of (or in addition to) the Flounge.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:39 pm
Suspended

BA have been offering paid upgrades for some flights during online checkin...worth a try.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:36 am

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, BAEC GGL, CCR, Marriott AMB
Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF
BA have been offering paid upgrades for some flights during online checkin...worth a try.
Worth checking, however you'll probably find it's very expensive.
Don't get conned into a paid upgrade to WT+ as this really is not worth the money.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Oh I don't know.

I paid to upgrade from WT->WT+ flying LHR to JNB.

I think I paid 200 pounds and I it was money well spent.

Originally Posted by aSWUplz
Worth checking, however you'll probably find it's very expensive.
Don't get conned into a paid upgrade to WT+ as this really is not worth the money.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Oh I don't know.

You know what they say. One man's potato is another man's potatoe.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, BAEC GGL, CCR, Marriott AMB
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Oh I don't know.

...200 GBP one way? IMO that is quite a large amount considering you get the same service / food / beverage / meal / IFE options in WT+.

If you're flying Ex-UK then you also incur Gordon Browns 'luxury' tax on WT+ fares at the same rate as if you were flying CW or F.

For not much more you could get an off-peak out of season MR from LHR-LAX-LHR and burn some SWUs on AA
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Agreed, I dont think WT-> WT+ is worth that.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: AA PLT 1.9mm
Transfer AA to BA in LHR carry on baggage

I will be flying on AA metal AUS=>ORD=>LHR and then BA onto BLR. Normally on AA I would just take my 22" roller and computer bag as carry-ons. Is there any issue with new security restrictions with doing this in LHR on BA?

Also, I am PLT and assume I will be get some type of preferential boarding.

Thx
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:32 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No problems with the luggage, provided it really is only 22" and not over stuffed. The BAA (airport not the airline) luggage sizers are unforgiving.

Upon arrival at LHR follow the purple Flight Connections signs to the coach stop and board the coach to terminal 5. You will clear security there and then have access to the BA Galleries lounges (three to choose from). Bring your AAdvantage Platinum card to present to the BA Lounge Agents.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:33 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
The question about what is allowed on BA flights is best asked on the BA forum as they will have the most up-to-date information. We had no problems in early January, but things may have changed. I'd suggest just doing some research there, though, as this is surely a well-discussed topic there.

Boarding is a free-for-all. There is no priority.

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:53 am

I had no problem with the same set of carryons two weeks ago in LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.