Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by brp
We did it recently at the airline desk in T3 simply because the line was short. Had it been longer, I would simply have done it at the gate. One walks right past the airline desk in T3 when coming through Flight Connections, so it is easy to decide on the spot.

Cheers.
Just made the T5-T3 transition last Friday. I had two hours between flights and that was as tight as I would like to have. We arrived at a no-gate gate (rode buses to the T5 terminal). Do the screening at the AC, where you can make a quick rest stop and grab something to drink/munch on, but don't even sit down for more than a few minutes. Then proceed all the way to the gate. You don't have to run and you do not have to go through the silly control process (as on T3-T5). You will have to go through security when entering T3.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LookingAhead
Just made the T5-T3 transition last Friday. I had two hours between flights and that was as tight as I would like to have. We arrived at a no-gate gate (rode buses to the T5 terminal). Do the screening at the AC, where you can make a quick rest stop and grab something to drink/munch on, but don't even sit down for more than a few minutes. Then proceed all the way to the gate. You don't have to run and you do not have to go through the silly control process (as on T3-T5). You will have to go through security when entering T3.
With a two hour connection, we usually have 30-45 minutes to go to the BA F lounge and chill for a while while making it to the gate with plenty of time to spare. Never visit the AC at all.

Cheers.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by brp
With a two hour connection, we usually have 30-45 minutes to go to the BA F lounge and chill for a while while making it to the gate with plenty of time to spare. Never visit the AC at all.

Cheers.
I have gone to the AC to get the security clearance for my flight on AA, at the suggestion of a gatekeeper at the flight recheck queue, and then gone to the BA lounge. Those were on flights from EDI I think but not sure (possibly DUB).
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Artur
Obviously the one world reciprocal elite recognition does not work on all levels, especially when it counts. Once it took me 55 minutes to go to security when denied Fast track which takes 10-15 minutes. It does make a difference when your incoming AA flight is delayed and you have only 90 minutes to catch your BA connection in T5.

While as Emerald we are welcome to use the First class lounge on an international itinerary, the Fast Track, the elite access for connecting passenger excludes any other elites but BA. On the other hand, BA elites have unfettered access to Priority access lines when flying AA in USA.

So what really gives? I mentioned it to AA customer relations but did not receive any reply whatsoever.

Does anybody know why BA still feels it does not have to honor equality to all one world elites?
Aren't the accepted Oneworld levels indicated right on the Fast Track signs?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by troyb
No.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Artur

Does anybody know why BA still feels it does not have to honor equality to all one world elites?
Originally Posted by troyb
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
No.
Fast Track access is not based on elite level, it is based on class of service. Thus, one does not actually have access to Fast Track based on OW Emerald status. It is quite possible that BA may have made a separate arrangement with BAA to let their elites use Fast Track security, regardless of class of service, but that is outside the scope of the OW rules.

Sure, I'd like it if OW Emerald worked here as well as class of service, but that's not the rule, and it's a BAA, not BA, rule.

Cheers.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by brp
Fast Track access is not based on elite level, it is based on class of service. Thus, one does not actually have access to Fast Track based on OW Emerald status. It is quite possible that BA may have made a separate arrangement with BAA to let their elites use Fast Track security, regardless of class of service, but that is outside the scope of the OW rules.

Sure, I'd like it if OW Emerald worked here as well as class of service, but that's not the rule, and it's a BAA, not BA, rule.

Cheers.
You are of course right. However, given that T5 is exclusively used by BA, and BA is part of OW, it wouldn't be asking too much to have the BA Executive Club benefits extended to equal tier OW members.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Delta Platinum, HH Silver, Hertz PC, National ExEl
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Similarly, the priority access line in JFK for example is manned through Port authority, yet AA determines who gets access. Why not the same treatment in LHR?
All One World partners are equal, but some (BA) are more equal?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by PassatDoc
I used the bus transfer to T5. The next stop in Flight Connections was the "ready to fly" line, where they inspect you to be sure you have your boarding pass (sometimes the AA counter back in the US could not generate a BA boarding pass, etc.) and that your luggage is legal. In my case, I didn't know that the UK included wheels/handle in the bag measurement, and the employees spotted my Kirkland (Costco) 22" bag in a heart beat and said it couldn't fly. If the bag could not lie flat inside one of their 22"/45 cm trays on the screening belt, it was too large.
I've flown four or five times through T3/T5 in the past two months, always with my 22" B&R, and so far no problem with it. In previous years this has been an issue, though.

FYI my AA flight was on time. I only waited a few minutes for the transfer bus and there were enough seats on the bus to accommodate everyone waiting in line at that time. I was delayed about ten minutes due to having to unpack my cabin bag essentials/valuables and then making a pitstop at the BA desk next to the "ready to fly" line (agent was very nice, did not charge me for the extra bag, and even checked to be sure my other two bags had made it to London---they had). After being cleared by ready to fly, I could proceed to security which took no more than ten minutes (this was at 06:30). All told, the process took about an hour---and I had a three hour connection, so the real issue at that point was finding a comfortable place to rest without any lounge access. At that point, the shortcomings of T5 became apparent: too few (and too small) restrooms, poor signage, etc. Well, it's hard to spot the signs for "escalator" and "WC" among all the gaudy signs for Harrods or other luxury retailers. To me, it's a shopping mall masquerading as an airline terminal. I've read that the BA lounges are nice, but for those without lounge access due to flying Economy, it can be hell.
IME, the busses between T3 and T5 are usually overfull, packed with people standing, with lengthly waits for the bus in the first place. Add in long queues for security (even in FastTrak) and it usually takes me around 90 minutes, depending on time of day.

Pretty much all of LHR is a shopping mall that happens to have airplanes, not just T5. You need elite status to gain lounge access regardless of class of service.

Originally Posted by ffdom
Just did MAN-LHR on BA connecting to LHR-LAX last week. The connection time was 1:45. We made it with 30 minutes to spare but that was only because the flight was on time and we had no lines at any point. This doesn't however leave much room for error. I printed boarding passes at BA.com and it gave is them for both flights. At MAN we could therefore avoid the BA desks, and there was zero line at security and it was efficient (you don't have to remove shoes only laptops and liquids, and there are plenty of staff and automatic tray system that works far more efficiently than most U.S airports. I had two carryons, a 20" Tumi and a "laptop" back - no issues this time. Boarding the BA flight can be something chaotic.
At LHR, there are long long walks in both T5 to get to the bus to T3 (depending on arrival gate); you have to show your onward boarding pass or ticket.
No wait on bus to T3 but it does take a while or the journey. At T3 you have to rescreen your bags etc so that can take a while if there is no line. Then as others have noted, AA puts you through a security check etc. Again there is lots of walking in T3 between all the elements. Then again when you head to the gate itself in T3 you will experience another set of security questions and there can be lengthy lines to pass into the gate area.

If the MAN flight had been delayed by much more than 20-30 minutes (which the pilot suggested was actually pretty common), we probably still would have made it but it would have involved a major hustle and stress. I think if we did it again, I wouldn't risk it. In part the calculus depends on what other flights are available if you miss the connection; in our case there were no other nonstop LHR-LAX flights and I did not want to end up making connections in JFK or ORD just to get home (and I doubt they would have put us on the later BA nonstops since we had upgraded business seats).
I've found many BA flights have no elite or first class boarding, while others have both. I've had delays waiting for a bus, and in security. And yes, 20-30 minute delays landing at LHR are very common, usually some combination of air traffic flow control, lack of available gate, slow jetbridge deployment. A T3-T5 connection of 90 minutes is legal, but I'm more comfortable with 2 hours or more.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Im not sure if it is BA or the BAA. I have actually found it a bit spotty. Last year on one or two of the times I connected at LHR I had a boarding pass from JFK for my BA flight as I recall that said priority access. In any case they sent me through the priority security line when I got to the gatekeeper. But you are right it is very unclear.
I've found it to be very spotty. Recently, while in FastTrak I heard the gatekeeper telling someone "FastTrak is for BA only, not AA." Today I was allowed in to T5 FastTrak security with the purple FastTrak T3 immigration AA hands out in F and J but other times this has been refused.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:19 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Recent LHR T5-to-T3 transfer time (BA to AA)

Arrived on BA903 FRA-LHR at 11:55a Saturday in T5-A, departed on AA105 LHR-JFK at 2:00p from T3:

1200 landed 27R
1213 (13 min) stepped off plane
1215 (2 min) boarded FCC bus to T3 (our gate was close to the escalator down)
1217 (2 min) departed T5
1227 (10 min) arrived T3
1237 (10 min) brief pitstop, cleared FCC security (no line), cleared AA security, got AA BP
1242 (5 min) arrived in the CX lounge (for some nice wonton noodle soup!)
1313 (29 min) departed CX lounge
1320 (7 min) arrived Gate 36 at the end of the pier where boarding was in progress (those red "Gate Closing" notices on the monitors always make me nervous!)

Total time from stepping off the plane at T5 to arriving in the CX lounge in T3: 29 minutes
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: AA CK, AC Super Elite, DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Compared to what it was like when T5 opened, these days it's a piece of cake. In good weather, I've been able to do it in about 60 minutes. In fog? Triple it.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus, OnePass
Originally Posted by kvez
Compared to what it was like when T5 opened, these days it's a piece of cake. In good weather, I've been able to do it in about 60 minutes. In fog? Triple it.
Agree. On my first T3>>T5 transfer in 2008, I was flying on a award ticket and AA had a rule at that time that under 2:00 connection was not "legal" for award travel. I.e., you could buy a ticket from AA with a T3-T5 transfer time of under two hours, but they wouldn't let you book award travel with less than two hours to spare. As AA explained it to me, too many pax were missing connections in those early T5 days, and AA didn't want to deal with the financial consequences of rebooking/accomodating pax who were flying free and not producing revenue.

Apparenly the rule has been rescinded, but I'd be loathe to book a connection of under two hours, based on the stories I've read here. When I reached the bus area of T3, there was a T5 bus waiting, with the doors open, and I just walked right in and sat down. I waited perhaps ten more minutes before the bus was full and deemed sufficiently packed to depart for T5, but others here have posted stories of having to stand in line waiting for a bus for inordinate amounts of time. I'd hate to do that having flown in long-haul from say LAX.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
When I reached the bus area of T3, there was a T5 bus waiting, with the doors open, and I just walked right in and sat down. I waited perhaps ten more minutes before the bus was full and deemed sufficiently packed to depart for T5, but others here have posted stories of having to stand in line waiting for a bus for inordinate amounts of time. I'd hate to do that having flown in long-haul from say LAX.
I agree. It's highly variable. Sometimes you get lucky and can walk right onto a bus and it departs soon, other times you have to wait to do either or both. Sometimes you're lucky and security doesn't take too long, other times there are endless lines.

I have a 90 minute connection T3->T5 on Sunday. It makes me nervous, but the schedules forced it.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
I'm almost positive that the Fast Track signs at T5 indicate First, Club, Club Europe, Amex Centurion, then the respective Oneworld levels.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
[QUOTE=GadgetFreak;16074875]I have gone to the AC to get the security clearance for my flight on AA, at the suggestion of a gatekeeper at the flight recheck queue, and then gone to the BA lounge. Those were on flights from EDI I think but not sure (possibly DUB).

What does this buy you at the gate? Do you skipthe gate line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.