Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
How long are lines typically at the AA Connections Desk at T3 for those transferring from T5 on weekday mornings (8-10am)? Are there more than one agent there and/or separate line for F/J passengers? I have 2 separate itineraries on AA and BA and will probably have to "check-in" at the T3 AA Connections desk as AA doesn't let me OLCI on international itineraries.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
I've only been through twice at that time, but the lines were manageable. Probably 10-15 people in the main line, and 2-3 in the Premium line (immediately to your left as you walk in, almost a left-u-turn). 2-3 agents in premium and 4-5 in main line when I was there.

I presume the checkin comment is specific to you? Because AA does let many/most people do OLCI on international now.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Although be aware that if you are going through the transfer process from T3 to T5 there are no IRIS stations there.
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't IRIS used for immigration? Wouldn't shawbridge be making an international to international connection at LHR, thus obviating the need to clear immigration in the UK and by extension the need for IRIS?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Time traveller
How long are lines typically at the AA Connections Desk at T3 for those transferring from T5 on weekday mornings (8-10am)? Are there more than one agent there and/or separate line for F/J passengers? I have 2 separate itineraries on AA and BA and will probably have to "check-in" at the T3 AA Connections desk as AA doesn't let me OLCI on international itineraries.
Last time I was there (afternoon) there was one agent for Business/Elites and there was just two people (couple) at the desk. It took quite a while for both to get done because of security questioning I guess (was your bag with you all the time?, etc).

I do not recall at what point I was asked for a boarding pass...I even think I was never asked for one (when doing T5-T3 connection). So, maybe you want to try to skip at all the Connections desk and head straight to the AC and get your boarding pass there? Have your printed e-ticket handy.

It is different when doing a T?-Terminal 5 connection. Arriving at T5, the BA boarding pass is scanned and then you can head to the escalators going up to security checkpoint.

I can't do OLCI for international itineraries either (US or overseas). I think the reason is that I am a US a Permanent Resident and haven't got a US passport yet.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I am EXP and flying AA JFK-LHR next week. I will likely be sitting in Y.
Will I get Fast Track from AA FA?
I was in Y on AA JFK-LHR as predicted.
I asked FA to give me Fast Track and was told none of FA in Y having it.
After I flashed my AA EXP card, FA got Fast Track from J cabin for me
As this is not official benefits for EXP, YMMV.

Last edited by supergrandslam; Aug 16, 2012 at 7:40 pm
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
After I flashed my AA EXP card
Sigh.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Microwave
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't IRIS used for immigration? Wouldn't shawbridge be making an international to international connection at LHR, thus obviating the need to clear immigration in the UK and by extension the need for IRIS?
Correct. There is no passport control when you transfer from an international to international flight at LHR (for this purpose, flights to Ireland are not considered international).
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I do not recall at what point I was asked for a boarding pass...I even think I was never asked for one (when doing T5-T3 connection). So, maybe you want to try to skip at all the Connections desk and head straight to the AC and get your boarding pass there? Have your printed e-ticket handy.
You should be asked for a boarding pass before you're admitted into T3 airside, but I've never done it so I wouldn't know.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Assuming you are originating on BA, be sure to ask the BA agent if they can check you in for your AA flight. I've had luck having an LX agent (back in the days of AA codeshares on LX) check me in for an AA flight on a separate itinerary, as well as through-check my bags to the AA flight.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by stifle
Correct. There is no passport control when you transfer from an international to international flight at LHR (for this purpose, flights to Ireland are not considered international).

You should be asked for a boarding pass before you're admitted into T3 airside, but I've never done it so I wouldn't know.
Many reports here on FT, including myself, of not being asked to show onward BP at T3 FCC.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I think IRIS has been discontinued, as of this spring. I'll be flying into LHR this Friday and validate.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I think IRIS has been discontinued, as of this spring. I'll be flying into LHR this Friday and validate.
IRIS was still going on the 5th of November.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I think IRIS has been discontinued, as of this spring.
It is still alive and kicking. Not always open, but not shut down either.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Yes, I didnt notice where they were connecting to. My last few connections there in that directing have been to EDI, and I was thinking of that.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
It is still alive and kicking. Not always open, but not shut down either.
They have got the biometric passport scanning operational in T3 as well now so the remaining days for IRIS may be numbered, but I'll keep using it as long as it is still there (as it was when I came through this week).
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Assuming you are originating on BA, be sure to ask the BA agent if they can check you in for your AA flight. I've had luck having an LX agent (back in the days of AA codeshares on LX) check me in for an AA flight on a separate itinerary, as well as through-check my bags to the AA flight.
That may be an idea for the future, though I did OLCI for the BA segment and so didn't stop by the BA desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.