Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If they're separate tickets and you have checked bags, no amount of assistance will help you as that is an impossible connection.

Otherwise, contact BA's "You First" service on +44 161 448 3013.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stifle
If they're separate tickets and you have checked bags, no amount of assistance will help you as that is an impossible connection.
Balderdash. We have made it from a plane in one of those terminals to a club in the other in about 40 minutes. And we've done this both ways. Of course, it's taken longer at times, too, but almost all times easily within 95 minutes. Definitely doable...not advisable, but doable.

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by brp
Balderdash. We have made it from a plane in one of those terminals to a club in the other in about 40 minutes. And we've done this both ways. Of course, it's taken longer at times, too, but almost all times easily within 95 minutes. Definitely doable...not advisable, but doable.

Cheers.
Agreed. My FLR-LHR flight last month into T5 was really delayed cutting my 2.5 hour connection for an AA flight out of T3 to JFK to about 85 minutes. I had to skip the salmon at Caviar House and champagne in the BA lounge but I had time to go to the AA lounge, grab a beverage and download my email before heading to the gate for my AA flight.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks for the BA's "You First" number. We will definitely call ahead to arrange someone to guide us through T3. It's a same ticket issued by AA and we will do carry on only. We will also try to do a standby on an earlier flight on EK if possible. But reading from all the replies in this tread, it seems people have been able to transfer from T3 to T5 within 40 to 50 minutes and given we are flying BA first, we can also use the fast security check on T5.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by thebluejean
Thanks for the BA's "You First" number. We will definitely call ahead to arrange someone to guide us through T3. It's a same ticket issued by AA and we will do carry on only. We will also try to do a standby on an earlier flight on EK if possible. But reading from all the replies in this tread, it seems people have been able to transfer from T3 to T5 within 40 to 50 minutes and given we are flying BA first, we can also use the fast security check on T5.
Fast Track will help a lot if it is crowded.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
With checked bags that you had to haul yourself due to separate tickets? And after the UK Border Agency started its go-slow? How long were you waiting at immigration?

If you arrive at the security checkpoint at T5 less than 35 minutes before your flight, you will be denied access.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebluejean
If it's a single ticket you don't have to worry much as you will be rebooked into the next flight to LAX if you misconnect.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:46 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With checked bags that you had to haul yourself due to separate tickets?
What's a "checked bag"

I assumed carry-on when responding...and I really just wanted to use the word "balderdash"

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
What's a "checked bag"

I assumed carry-on when responding...and I really just wanted to use the word "balderdash"

Cheers.
I wouldn't have blamed you for assuming carry-on if I hadn't specifically qualified my "impossible" with checked baggage

It's far less trouble without, and as thebluejean is on a single ticket and can use the airside transit bus, he should have time for a quick glass of champagne in the Concorde Room before setting off to LAX.

Last edited by stifle; May 2, 2012 at 2:22 pm Reason: Typo "T5" -> "LAX"
Old May 2, 2012, 1:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't have blamed you for assuming carry-on if I hadn't specifically qualified my "impossible" with checked baggage
Note to self - read the whole post first

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2012, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Note to self - read the whole post first

Cheers.
On the other hand, it isn't everyday that one gets to use the word "balderdash".
Old May 2, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

Even if they were separate tickets, since they are both OneWorld carriers, the first carrier should be able to check someone in for the second, as well as check the bags through, no?

What will You First do? Will they provide a cart through T3, or meet the person on the jetbridge in T3 and drive him/her to T5?

AA Five Star service does arrange this for a price, and I know they do T3/T5 transfers in a van from the arriving jetbridge, but I'm not sure if they'll do so where neither flight is operated by AA. One could call or email them to ask.

It's far less trouble without, and as thebluejean is on a single ticket and can use the airside transit bus, he should have time for a quick glass of champagne in the Concorde Room before setting off to LAX.
Even on two tickets, he or she shouldn't have to go landside.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
Even if they were separate tickets, since they are both OneWorld carriers, the first carrier should be able to check someone in for the second, as well as check the bags through, no?

What will You First do? Will they provide a cart through T3, or meet the person on the jetbridge in T3 and drive him/her to T5?

AA Five Star service does arrange this for a price, and I know they do T3/T5 transfers in a van from the arriving jetbridge, but I'm not sure if they'll do so where neither flight is operated by AA. One could call or email them to ask.

Even on two tickets, he or she shouldn't have to go landside.
EK is not a oneworld carrier. It is not therefore obliged to check baggage through on separate itineraries. Even some intra-alliance carriers won't do this (bmi used to absolutely refuse to interline baggage on separate itineraries even within *A, of which it is no longer part).

I don't know what You First will do, but it will be good
Old May 3, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
What should I do if connecting flight is cancelled?

I will fly JFK-LHR-FRA in a few days.
JFK-LHR is on AA100 and LHR-FRA is on AA6350(BA906).
I just found BA906/AA6350 cancelled on May 1st and 3rd.
I don't know the reason why, maybe because its load factor is just too low???

Flight status for BA906 was "scheduled" when AA100 left JFK yesterday.
So I may not know if BA906 is cancelled or not until I arrive at LHR.

Next BA flight to FRA is 2hr30min later. So I may want to change earlier flight on LH if my BA906 is also cancelled.

Where should I go in T3(or T5) to negotiate this?
Is there AA connecting counter in T3?
I did transfer in LHR several times before but I didn't find AA counter in T3 before....

It is BA's fault if BA906 is cancelled.
I should negotiate this with BA instead of AA?
If so, where should I go?
Old May 3, 2012, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
EK is not a oneworld carrier. It is not therefore obliged to check baggage through on separate itineraries. ...
To be clear, and in relation to thebluejeans specific travel, since the transit is booked on the one PNR and EK and BA do indeed have an interline agreement, at check-in the EK agent will be obliged to check luggage through.

Last edited by serfty; May 3, 2012 at 2:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.