Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
But that's part of the point of the Schengen area isn't it? Elimination of border controls?
Yes, but you said "international", and they are international flights, as in flights from one country to another. Even if you discount them, DUB is still a valid answer.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by stifle
Yes, but you said "international", and they are international flights, as in flights from one country to another. Even if you discount them, DUB is still a valid answer.
I didn't say international, but I maintain that Schengen flights aren't germane to the original question.

DUB is a good example though.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by stifle
Yes, sorry for being sloppy. I shouldn't have said "intl-intl" but rather "one area to another where normal border crossing procedures apply." I've never done a connection of any sort at DUB; you said it only applied to certain gates, and I have no idea what the meaning is for those gates. If those gates are used for what most of us commonly mean by intl connection, then it's a great example.

Personally. I can't recall a situation where I didn't have to go through security on a connection where normal border crossing procedures applied, so it's good to hear that there are airports (or at least one) where this isn't the case.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Sri Lanka is much safer now than 6 years ago, so not surprising. I definitely did not have to go through any WTMD or have my bp checked at any point before the GA as I was boarding the plane when I did BKK-CMB-DXB last month.

But that's part of the point of the Schengen area isn't it? Elimination of border controls?
Good to hear it is better. When I was there the city was loaded with sandbagged machine gun posts and the airport was filled with military checkpoints and security. This was a few weeks before the attack on the navy personnel which started the last phase of the war with the Tigers.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:33 pm
hmv

If I arrive at LHR T3 on AA and transfer to T5 for my connecting flight with BA, am I allowed to have a bottle of liquor(bought at ORD) in my carry-on?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hmv
If I arrive at LHR T3 on AA and transfer to T5 for my connecting flight with BA, am I allowed to have a bottle of liquor(bought at ORD) in my carry-on?
As long as it is sealed in the original tamper-evident bag from duty-free, you should be fine. See this link:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...e120a____/#12a
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
At T5 now and see the signs for myself.

I went through Fast Track at T3 this morning and asked about IRIS. Was told that it closed down and is being replaced by a new system that involves chip-imbedded passports. Usage is limited to EU passports but it is expected to be made available to others (no timing known).
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MileHigh
At T5 now and see the signs for myself.

I went through Fast Track at T3 this morning and asked about IRIS. Was told that it closed down and is being replaced by a new system that involves chip-imbedded passports. Usage is limited to EU passports but it is expected to be made available to others (no timing known).
Really too bad. I used IRIS on Nov 26th and was able to bypass all the lines, even Fast Track. It was so convenient.. oh well.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors DIA, Fairmont GLD they make me feel special!
I have a 2 hour connection at LHR. Arriving from LAX. I am about to book a separate ticket on BA - LHR-CDG. Arriving Terminal 3 - departing Terminal 5.
Is 2 hours going to be enough to connect or should I go the 4.5 hour layover and enjoy a shower/lounge etc. to be on the safe side?

Will AA at LAX be able to check me in for my LHR-CDG flight and have baggage go on - even though they are 2 separate tickets? The LHR-CDG is a ticket purchased from BA - not AA.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by bmxaggie
Is 2 hours going to be enough to connect or should I go the 4.5 hour layover and enjoy a shower/lounge etc. to be on the safe side?
I would take the 2 hours connection option. That's plenty of time, IMO.
Flights from LAX have less chance to be delayed than flights from ORD/JFK (think winter). I'd rather take a shower at the hotel in Paris and a meal in Paris than in the lounge. 2 hours should also be good for your bags to arrive safely in CDG (I have not had an LHR bag problem in the last 2 years)

Will AA at LAX be able to check me in for my LHR-CDG flight and have baggage go on - even though they are 2 separate tickets? The LHR-CDG is a ticket purchased from BA - not AA.
Yes, your bags can be checked all the way through CDG. Make sure to show your LHR-CDG ticket/ itinerary to the agent in LAX.

Not sure if you can check-in @ LAX for your LHR-CDG separate ticket. Since it is on separate tickets, you will be able to do OLCI with BA. So no need to do it in LAX. At LHR T5, either at connections desk, lounge or Gate, let them know that you have a bag checked in in LAX.

Last edited by carlosdca; Dec 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:27 pm

Am I allowed to use the Fast Track connection from T3 to T5 - traveling Biz on AA then Economy on BA from LHR.

I had the Red envelope from AA, which states its for passengers going out to London, nothing about connecting flights. The Fast Track was empty, but an agent there asked me for my boarding pass, I showed him my passes including the red envelope from AA, and he directed me towards the regular transit queue.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD
2 hours is plenty of time if your inbound flight arrives on time, but I would check the on-time stats of that flight to be sure it regularly arrives more or less on time.

I actually made a 40 minute T3-T5 connection back in June, but it really, really isn't recommended. (I had nearly a 3 hour scheduled connection, but my flight from JFK was delayed 2+ hours at takeoff, so I arrived at T3 40 minutes before my scheduled departure out of T5. I'll give AA a lot of credit in helping me make that connection. A helpful FA moved me up to the front row of coach just before landing so that I could get off quickly, and a GA met me at the jetbridge with the gate information and a Fast Track voucher. When I asked whether I had a prayer of making it, he simply looked at me and said one word -- "run".) Given that you have to take a ~10 minute bus ride between terminals and re-clear security at T5, I'd never recommend this, but I mention in case you go for the two hour connection, your flight is running late and you're stressed along the way.

(To be clear, notwithstanding the stress of that experience, I'd go for the 2 hour option in your case.)
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have a 2 hour connection at LHR. Arriving from LAX. I am about to book a separate ticket on BA - LHR-CDG. Arriving Terminal 3 - departing Terminal 5.

AA should be able to check your baggage all the way through, not sure about check-in.

Personally, I don't consider two hours as enough time. The MCT is 1½, so not much more than that - make-able but why put yourself though such stress.

In June it took 70 minutes to get from T3 to T5 Airside.

Aircraft --> long corridors/escalators/stairs -> FCC (Straight though as had BP's) -> bus -> "Tarmac Tour" -> long corridor walk -> Passport Check (missed Fast track) -> used Fast track for Security (Emerald icon on card) -> T5 -> Airside ... phew ...

We did not procrastinate! Largest Queues at T5 Passport Check and Security.

As an EXP you have access to Galleries First - take it easy and go on the later flight.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I would take the 2 hours connection option. That's plenty of time, IMO.
I'd say it's do-able, and I'd book it, but I'd never say it was "plenty of time." The slightest delay in arrival, or waits for the transit bus to depart, will result in anxiety.
Flights from LAX have less chance to be delayed than flights from ORD/JFK (think winter).
I'm sure you're correct that flights from ORD/JFK have more chance of being delayed, but I fly LAX-LHR a lot and delays are common. Even when we take off on time (or even on rare occasion a couple of minutes early) and/or have tailwinds, there often seem to be air traffic or ground delays at LHR. It's not uncommon to approach LHR half an hour early but get to the gate 20 minutes late.
I'd rather take a shower at the hotel in Paris and a meal in Paris than in the lounge.
I'd agree with this.

Not sure if you can check-in @ LAX for your LHR-CDG separate ticket. Since it is on separate tickets, you will be able to do OLCI with BA. So no need to do it in LAX. At LHR T5, either at connections desk, lounge or Gate, let them know that you have a bag checked in in LAX.
Since T5 scans your BP prior to the security rescreen, I don't think you can wait until the lounge or gate to get your BP (of course if you OLCI you can print a BP). However, since you'll be leaving LAX within 24 hours of your onward flight, the AA agent should be able to check you in and issue your BP.

Originally Posted by vrbaba
Am I allowed to use the Fast Track connection from T3 to T5 - traveling Biz on AA then Economy on BA from LHR.
I believe you are not entitled to Fast Track connection regardless of flying inbound in premium or having AA status, as this is supposed to be only for those flying BA first or business or having BA status. However, you may be permitted to use the lanes anyway, this is hit or miss.

Originally Posted by vrbaba
I had the Red envelope from AA, which states its for passengers going out to London, nothing about connecting flights. The Fast Track was empty, but an agent there asked me for my boarding pass, I showed him my passes including the red envelope from AA, and he directed me towards the regular transit queue.
The red envelope is for Fast Track immigration, and is for everyone arriving in premium cabins on AA or BA. This is separate from Fast Track transit BP check and security, which as I understand it is only for those departing LHR on BA in a premium cabin, or holding BA status.

Last edited by anabolism; Dec 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
How reliable is the T3->T5 baggage transfer these days? I used to regularly do it 2-3 years ago, and I'd always short-check my bags and make the transfer land-side because the baggage transfer was notoriously unreliable. Any input as to whether it's better. I have a 3 hour connection tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.