Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I just flew ATH-LHR-JFK.

Arrived to T5 on BA, took the bus to T3, cleared security (x-ray) and then I got to the Airline Desk area. BA TA had given all my boarding passes in ATH. However, there was a sign near the AA desk that said to see an agent.
I went to the First Class line and there were two guys in front of me who where chatting forever with the AA agent. IT was finally my turn, she asked me the usual questions ("has your bag been with you all the time, etc") and put a sticker in my passport. Then, she directed me to the TA. I said "I already have boarding passes". She said, you still have to get your boarding passes issued by AA. So I did. The whole thing took at least 25 mins. At the end, the 2+ hours connecting time I thought were enough to at least check out the famous BA Terraces were not and I just had to proceed directly to my gate.

Now, here is my question: IS there anyway I could have avoided this whole process at the "airlines desk" area since I had boarding passes? Like just skip the AA security questioning/ seeing the TA and proceed directly to the gate or to the AA lounge? Did I really need the "AA issued" boarding pass?
Originally Posted by Sagy
You could have gone to the AA lounge and they would have issued your new boarding pass.
Right. I flew EDI - LHR on BA and then back to JFK on AA a few weeks ago and in the transfer area they told me to go straight to the AC rather than to the lines there. I traded in my BP for a new one as well as answered the security questions at the AC.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:26 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The security questions, which sticker on passprot are a recent addition to LHR. They are at the check-in desk, flagship check-in, transfer desk, AC/Flagship lounge check-in, and the gate.

As mentioned above, if transiting LHR, the best place to get the passport security sticker is at the club. BA would have admitted you to their Galleries First lounge with the BA issued boarding pass.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Too ambitious connection time at LHR?

I'm flying MAN-LHR next week, arrives into T5 at 1105am. Then connecting to AA 47 from T3 at 1250pm. IF the BA flight is on time, does this still allow me sufficient time to exit T5, take the Heathrow Express to T3, claim two bags from the left-luggage office, check-in for AA47 with my bags (as an EXP at first class), use fast-track security, and make my flight?

It's the alternative to schlepping two big suitcases up to MAN and back, let alone paying £56 in excess luggage fees.

I didn't want to fly AA ex MAN on a 757, if anyone's wondering.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
It's doable, just don't dilly dally till you're in the terminal through security where you need to be.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:16 pm

Its just my opinion but, no, its not enough time.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by purpleskiesfly
It's doable, just don't dilly dally till you're in the terminal through security where you need to be.
I may be dumb - but BA/AA - why not thru check to AA 47?? if you do that and transit Airside, you are fine...
if not
-- BA luggage is quite quite quite fast...its just takes forever to get to baggage claim but more likely that by the time you are there - luggage will be there..

but like the previous poster said...after that - run run run....AA FC check-in folks are quite friendly...if you are CK - might help to give them a shout once landed to say you are on the way...all the best!!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by galaticos
I may be dumb - but BA/AA - why not thru check to AA 47?? if you do that and transit Airside, you are fine...
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
I'm flying MAN-LHR next week, arrives into T5 at 1105am. Then connecting to AA 47 from T3 at 1250pm. IF the BA flight is on time, does this still allow me sufficient time to exit T5, take the Heathrow Express to T3, claim two bags from the left-luggage office, check-in for AA47 with my bags (as an EXP at first class), use fast-track security, and make my flight?

It's the alternative to schlepping two big suitcases up to MAN and back, let alone paying £56 in excess luggage fees.

Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:09 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Curious. I'm arriving with no checked bags at LHR on AA and connectiong to a BA domestic flight on a seperate ticket. I have almost 4 hours. Should I transfer to T5 or go airside and recheck. I'm in Iris program. Also since it is a seperate ticket can I still use BA lounge? Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 11.1MM; 5.9MM Marriott Ambassador; Hertz President Circle, 3.2MM AMEX

I don't think you have enough time. I wouldn't do it, i take AA87 & AA47 at least once a month and i would not push this schedule. Boarding is 45 min before dep, plus you have 2 security checks, T5 -> T3 and T3 to gate
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I make similar connections every year. I fly LAX - LHR - DUS and back. I, similarly, go from T3 in Heathrow to T5 then reverse.

I would be very nervous about your proposed plan, especially with the added complication of the left luggage retrieval and having to check that luggage back in.

Your international flight is LHR to ORD? It should be simliar to my LHR to LAX. Typically they start boarding 45 minutes ahead of scheduled departure, which means 12:50 minus 45 or 12:05. That gives you a scant hour to do what you want to do, including the transfer bus and the left luggage.

Personally, I would not risk it. You elite status won't do you any good on the transfer bus. I am unaware of any First Class Platinum alternative to the good ol' Flight Connections transfer bus, but then I always fly Coach.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Sep 2, 2010 at 9:10 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:54 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I am not mistaken the luggage check-in at LHR is 60 minutes. That leaves you with 45 minutes to get from T5 to T3, collect your bags from the left luggage office and then check the bags. Because of that I don't think you'd make it.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:37 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I decided to take the transfer route rather than exit at T3. 45 minutes from T3 gate to T5 BA first lounge. The fast track boarding pass from BA helped some.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by nbevan
A convenient though expensive option, even without the tip.

But cab drivers on short trips from LHR are allowed back to the front of the cab line, so although they moan, they don't deserve an extra tip!
Thanks for the tip! BTW can anyone who's transferred landside between T3 and T5 including picking up luggage give how long it took them? Is one way worse than the other?

I'm less concerned with the 3:10 I have to go from T3 -> T5; more concerned with the 2:30 I have to go from T5 -> T3
Old Sep 7, 2010, 4:53 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by dawheat
Originally Posted by nbevan
A convenient though expensive option, even without the tip.

But cab drivers on short trips from LHR are allowed back to the front of the cab line, so although they moan, they don't deserve an extra tip!
Thanks for the tip! BTW can anyone who's transferred landside between T3 and T5 including picking up luggage give how long it took them? Is one way worse than the other?

I'm less concerned with the 3:10 I have to go from T3 -> T5; more concerned with the 2:30 I have to go from T5 -> T3
In my limited experience, but recent experience, T5 to T3 is a lot easier and faster than T3 to T5. There are sometimes some big lines transferring into T5.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
In my limited experience, but recent experience, T5 to T3 is a lot easier and faster than T3 to T5. There are sometimes some big lines transferring into T5.
Agreed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.