Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:14 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

In my limited experience, but recent experience, T5 to T3 is a lot easier and faster than T3 to T5. There are sometimes some big lines transferring into T5.
Thanks to both of you
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:04 am

I am traveling with my wife and infant and will be connecting in LHR and need some feedback before I book my flights.

We arrive on AC at 10:30 in T3 and would need to depart on a BA flight at 14:25. We have 2 pieces of luggage that need to be picked up. After making our way to T5 we would need to check in. Is this enough time, especially since I am traveling with an infant (which can sometimes slow us down)?

I have another option of flying out around 16:30 if this connection is too tight. I don't think that our original plan would be an issue, but I haven't been to LHR in years and wouldn't want to risk missing our flights.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by snace
I am traveling with my wife and infant and will be connecting in LHR and need some feedback before I book my flights.

We arrive on AC at 10:30 in T3 and would need to depart on a BA flight at 14:25. We have 2 pieces of luggage that need to be picked up. After making our way to T5 we would need to check in. Is this enough time, especially since I am traveling with an infant (which can sometimes slow us down)?

I have another option of flying out around 16:30 if this connection is too tight. I don't think that our original plan would be an issue, but I haven't been to LHR in years and wouldn't want to risk missing our flights.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
4hrs is more than enough time even with bags, infant etc., not that it will be fun
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
4hrs is more than enough time even with bags, infant etc., not that it will be fun

Thank you for the prompt reply!

You are right about that last part...
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by snace
We have 2 pieces of luggage that need to be picked up.
Why will you need to pick up your luggage? Are you not able to check it through?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:18 pm

To follow-up on my trip:

SFO to LHR via VS and LHR to FCO via BA - the VS desk agent at SFO was great and was willing to check our bags all the way to FCO, even when on different PNRs. So our 3 hour layover in LHR was no problem - got from T3 to T5 in about 30 minutes.

LIN to LHR via BA and LHR to SFO via VS was more exciting as the BA agent in Milan would not check in our bags all the way. Originally with a 2.5hr layover, the BA flight landed about 45 minutes late. Luckily we were near the front of the plane and deplaned quickly. Immigrations was lucky as there were only 3 people in front of us and we were through in 5 minutes. Our luggage came out pretty quickly and we were off on the Heathrow Express - unfortunately it sat at T5 for nearly 15 minutes. Upon reaching T3, we sprinted all the way to the VS check-in station and got there with 5 minutes to spare before the 60-min baggage check-in.

So got from T5 to T3 landside, picking up luggage, in about 40 minutes as everything seemed to work perfectly (front of plane, no immigration line, baggage came out extremely fast).
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
BA ARN-LHR to AA LHR-LAX yesterday

Booked a very early BA departure from ARN-LHR, connecting to AA 137 LHR-LAX. BA flight boarded on time, then the captain says that due to construction and typical rush-hour traffic, we would be holding at ARN for 20-30 minutes. Ugh.

Fortunately, we ended up being released early and had a short flying time so we arrived at T5 essentially on time. We also got a favorable gate, so the walk to flight connections in T5 was short. The bus ride took nearly 15 minutes, but they had all screening stations open at T3 so I only waited behind about 3 people to reclear. I think it took longer for the security agent at the AA station (after you reclear and start walking towards the gates) to ask me 100 times if my bags had been out of my control or if anyone had given me anything to carry.

Even with all going well, my 1h 45m connection time seemed a bit rushed. AA 137 departed from one of the farthest gates in T3, so when the FL announced it was boarding, they were already in group 2 by the time I got to the gate.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PLAT
Hi,

Sorry this is my first post. I fly quite a bit, but have a question regarding a new route I am taking.

I usually fly MAN-ORD (or DFW)-SAN, but tomorrow I will fly MAN-LHR-DFW-SAN. I went to check in (through AA.com) and I was only able to print my BA boarding pass.

My itinerary is:
MAN-LHR (arrive T5 at 12:15PM) BA Flight
LHR-DFW (depart T3 at 2:20PM) AA Flight
DFW-SAN AA Flight

I have never done a domestic BA UK flight followed by a connection to an international flight, so I am not positive on how things work. So a few questions...

Do I need to check in at the BA or AA desk at MAN to get the rest of my boarding passes issued?
Will my bags be checked all the way through to DFW?
How fast do I need to run to make my connections in LHR? I saw that it suggests 90 minutes on the LHR website. I assume I should be fine...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:55 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MadeInTheUSA

Do I need to check in at the BA or AA desk at MAN to get the rest of my boarding passes issued?
Will my bags be checked all the way through to DFW?
How fast do I need to run to make my connections in LHR? I saw that it suggests 90 minutes on the LHR website. I assume I should be fine...
Welcome to FlyerTalk, MadeInTheUSA!

At MAN, they should be able to print all your BPs for you at the BA counter. When you get to LHR, the T5 "Flight Connections" bus will take you to T3, and you'll clear security once again. After you clear security, there will be another set of AA ticket counters where they'll likely want you to check-in so they can ask a bunch of security questions and check your passport.

Yes, when you check in at MAN, they can check your bags all the way through to SAN. (But as you indicated, you'll of course need to pick up your bags at DFW to clear customs and immigration. You can then drop your bags off at the AA "connections" baggage carousel so that they can make their way to SAN.)

You'll be fine for your connection barring any major delays. 10-15 min to get to the T5 Flight Connections bus; 15 min ride to T3; 30 min to walk through the T3 hallways and clear security.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: AA PLAT
Thanks so much JY1024!

I am hoping this route will be okay, and the extra flight time will make the 763 plane worth it (transatlantics on 757s are not so fun).

I am also probably one of few who is excited for the BA LHR-SAN.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:26 pm

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Advice please! Breakfast connection b/w LHR T3 and T5

I'm on JFK/LHR in J on AA#132 with a scheduled landing into T3 at 9:35am - the plan is not to check bags and I'm ultimately taking the train to Piccadilly.

Friends I'd really like to see are leaving on a BA flight to Brazil at 12:15 out of T5 the same day -- we're trying to connect for breakfast somewhere.

1 -- assuming my arrival is on time (and EF indicates the reliability is a bit dodgy), do you think we'll have time? It'll be a Tuesday morning. Folks experienced with this flight, can you ballpark the "standard" (I know, I know) de-planing time?

2 -- any recommendations on where/how we should meet? Would it make sense for me to transfer to T5 before going through immigration and customs and connect with them there? I do belong to the AC though it probably doesn't matter in this case.

I'm open to any ideas here -- any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by GloverParker; Nov 11, 2010 at 3:26 pm Reason: adding more detail
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I make the Terminal 3-Terminal 5 connection everytime I fly to the UK and it's quite painless especially without luggage. There is a bus connection for connecting passengers; however, since you're terminating at LHR you'll have to use the Heathrow Express to get to Terminal 5.

Since you're in J you'll be off the plane quickly and able to use the business class immigration lines which are usually very quick. Depending on what gate you come into it can be anywhere from a five to fifteen minute walk to the immigration area. Add another five to ten minutes to that to get through immigration and be out in the arrivals hall. From there it's a quick walk to grab the Heathrow Express to Terminal 5. If you time it correctly you'll be in Terminal 5 in no time but the trains come every fifteen minutes so if you just miss one you'll have a bit of a wait.

I'd say if you're moving quickly you could be in Terminal 5 by 10:10 and there's plenty of places before security to grab a quick bite to eat with your friends. If you have to wait awhile for the Heathrow Express or in immigration you might not make it over there until 10:30 or 10:45.

Hopefully this helped!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:24 pm

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Thanks NICK90274, that is very helpful! Now I'll just keep my fingers crossed for short lines and well timed transport.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:45 pm

10 hour connection in LHR

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I'm looking for information for LHR connections.

My friend wants to flight YYZ-LHR-IKA
but the flight times are terrible and he'll likely have to spend 10 hours in LHR

As this thread is about transfers and connections - anyone know if he could leave the airport if he wanted to? I think he has relatives in london which would help ease the 10 hour layover.

Would he have to pull his bags or could he just clear customs, leave and then go back through security later?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by RockoHorse
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I'm looking for information for LHR connections.

My friend wants to flight YYZ-LHR-IKA
but the flight times are terrible and he'll likely have to spend 10 hours in LHR

As this thread is about transfers and connections - anyone know if he could leave the airport if he wanted to? I think he has relatives in london which would help ease the 10 hour layover.

Would he have to pull his bags or could he just clear customs, leave and then go back through security later?
He can check his bags all the way through, the clear immigration and customs without his checked luggage, and then just reclear security upon his return to LHR. Many of us have done this a lot without any problems whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.