Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
that is good to hear, so far the BC cabin is only about half full, I'm coming back on the 11th, and booked the trip months ago so I am hopeful. Thanks again for the tips and insight
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I've never yet failed to get my upgrade cleared on that flight. Came close a couple of times but still 100% so far so your odds are good but don't expect it to clear until 2-3 days out.

An EF subscription is very handy I find
How have you handled the "luxury tax" for upgrades from LHR? Is it done at checkin (I'll be originating in TXL, will they collect it there) or at connections?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:01 am

MUC/LHR (BA) connecting LHR/ORD (AA)

Potential flight with only one and a half hours to connect. Anyone familiar with connecting in London, know if I have to go through security, change airlines and connect. Are they in the same terminal? Any lounge advice for MUC?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 4:23 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Wings Plus
Potential flight with only one and a half hours to connect. Anyone familiar with connecting in London, know if I have to go through security, change airlines and connect. Are they in the same terminal? Any lounge advice for MUC?
Greetings Wings Plus, and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Another moderator has merged your thread into this existing thread and I'd encourage you to review upthread for more info. You can also use Search Within Thread to look for specific info.

For lounges at MUC, check this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Dec 14, 2009, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
Greetings Wings Plus, and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Another moderator has merged your thread into this existing thread and I'd encourage you to review upthread for more info. You can also use Search Within Thread to look for specific info.

For lounges at MUC, check this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Yes Tx dstan for moving as well as the link....will do and sorry for posting a new thread....cheeers wings
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gutterman
How have you handled the "luxury tax" for upgrades from LHR? Is it done at checkin (I'll be originating in TXL, will they collect it there) or at connections?
The luxury tax is only applicable for people originating or stopping over in LHR, not connections. If your inbound flight is on a separate ticket, retain your boarding pass to show the AA agent when you request the upgrade.

That way you won't have to pay the tax.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by RChavez
The luxury tax is only applicable for people originating or stopping over in LHR, not connections. If your inbound flight is on a separate ticket, retain your boarding pass to show the AA agent when you request the upgrade.

The tax is definitely collected on connections. I just paid it. Make sure that you have valid payment information included in your upgrade request (I assume it's eVIP) and make sure that payment includes your complete credit card info including the 3- or 4-digit card code. I recently had an EXP agent tell me that without the payment info stored "there was no way that upgrade was going to clear!" Some agents don't know how to do them "right" since AA doesn't prompt them and doesn't automatically use the same payment info as your ticket for the upgrade. Way more complicated than it used to be.

For the MUC-LHR-ORD passenger:

An hour and a half T5 --> T3 connection on a Sunday morning should pose no huge problem, other than the T3 security line, which has no Fast Track line from the Flight Connections side. I just did MUC-LHR. Prior to T5, the buses were impossibly slow. They have it together now. If you're really pressed for time, once you board the bus, move to the opposite side, as the exit side is swapped on arrival at T3 and you can be first off the bus.

After security -- prepare for TSA-style policies and attitudes -- you should proceed immediately to your gate (if assigned) and prepare for very long walk and a traditional European boarding scrum. AA boarding at LHR is a total disaster; they have no idea what they're doing for most flights. Some flights, they do Priority AAccess. Not always. Prepare to have people cutting in front of you, regardless of cabin.

I suggest you check your bag all the way through at MUC to stay as unencumbered as possible. BA will charge you excess if you're not on a codeshare (more than 1 bag or more than 23 kg). If you're on an AA codeshare, they will charge you per AA's policies. Keep your baggage receipts, as AA will want them at the LHR transfer desk. If you're on an AA codeshare you will get both BPs, if not BA will not print your AA BP in MUC and AA will reprint it at LHR in any event. Hidden AA elves will retag your bags as Priority (if you're in J or F) at LHR if BA doesn't at LHR. No idea...

Have a great flight.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by RChavez

Originally Posted by ilhooq
The tax is definitely collected on connections. I just paid it. .
Whether you pay the duty depends on whether the flights are "connected":

Where the second of two flights (flight B) is an international flight (that is from the UK to an international destination), flight B is treated as connected if its booked time of departure falls within 24 hours of the scheduled time of arrival of the first flight

The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

(a) they are in one booklet, or

(b) where they are in separate booklets:

each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction,
or
there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question.

Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether two flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.
There have been previous reports that having PNRs linked is sufficient to make the flights connected, and avoid the tax. Presumably this would only be possible if the flights were both booked with AA (or with another provider who can link bookings).
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
On the luxury tax, does it count for European flights?

I recently upgraded a LHR-FRA flight on LH with miles and there was no mention of a Luxury Tax.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Gamecock
On the luxury tax, does it count for European flights?

I recently upgraded a LHR-FRA flight on LH with miles and there was no mention of a Luxury Tax.
Officially you should have paid an extra £11.

AA and BA consistently follow the rules, although there have been other reports of some airlines failing to collect the tax for upgrades.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 3:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by nbevan
Officially you should have paid an extra £11.

AA and BA consistently follow the rules, although there have been other reports of some airlines failing to collect the tax for upgrades.
Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:43 am

AA to BA Bag Fees

Originally Posted by ilhooq
BA will charge you excess if you're not on a codeshare (more than 1 bag or more than 23 kg). If you're on an AA codeshare, they will charge you per AA's policies. Keep your baggage receipts, as AA will want them at the LHR transfer desk.
How does that work the other way? I'll be traveling ORD-LHR-EDI and need to check two bags since I'll be in EDI for 5 months. Will AA charge me the $50 at O'Hare, and then I show BA the receipt when I get to Heathrow? Or will BA charge me $50 more? Or by Baggage Receipts do you mean the claim checks, and BA doesn't care how much you paid AA to check the bags through to Edinburgh?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by glboisvert
How does that work the other way? I'll be traveling ORD-LHR-EDI and need to check two bags since I'll be in EDI for 5 months. Will AA charge me the $50 at O'Hare, and then I show BA the receipt when I get to Heathrow? Or will BA charge me $50 more? Or by Baggage Receipts do you mean the claim checks, and BA doesn't care how much you paid AA to check the bags through to Edinburgh?
If you check your bags through, there is no extra charge from another airline while your bags are in transit.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by nbevan
If you check your bags through, there is no extra charge from another airline while your bags are in transit.
If AA checks your bags ORD-LHR-EDI, then you pay AA and you're done with it for that direction of travel, correct.

The baggage receipts are what we used to call claim checks in the US, back when they used to check them, way back when.

BA will want to see them when/if you stop at a transfer desk on the way from T3 --> T5. That connection is far more difficult in terms of time consumption because of security at T5, so even if you're Fast Track, bring lots of extra patience and something to read in line. Haven't scrolled back to see if that's covered recently in detail.

The T3 Flagship Lounge at LHR is also closed for refurb, so EXPs should bring their EXP card with them and proceed directly to the BA Galleries First and completely bypass the Admiral's Club, unless you really have a lot of time and you really want to appreciate the contrast between the two in favor of the BA lounge.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, *Gold on UA, FlyingBlue Gold (matched), SPG Plat
If I'm connecting from AA to Gulf Air, I think it is a T3 --> T4 connection. Has anyone ever made this one and will I be ok with a 1:50 connection time?

This will be over the holidays, so not sure if the BA strike will cause things to be crazier or more calm at LHR...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.