Search

Get "UNLIMITED" AA miles for less than $0.01 per mile

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Question

OK I'll bite

But I dont understand the paypal fee part

Actually I dont understand this whole thing - could you give a little m,ore verbiage around this

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2004, 12:20 am

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
verse99, do you really have to go through with the auction? why not just pay the ebay fees and then pretend the $5K was paid? you should still be able to get the points.

---
Edit: Err... i just read the T&C and you need to pay with paypal to get the anypoints.

Last edited by ohbahsan; Apr 20, 2004 at 1:07 am
Old Apr 20, 2004, 1:14 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Okay, I got some of these answers from reading the ebay site.

1. The points are awarded only if you pay with Paypal. That's where the Paypal fees come in.
2. and perhaps more importantly...........DON'T LET ANYBODY WITH YOUR LAST NAME OR IN YOUR HOMETOWN BID ON YOUR AUCTION! EBAY COULD CLOSE BOTH YOUR ACCOUNTS. THEN YOU LOSE THE POINTS AND YOUR EBAY PRIVILIGES!

Ebay has gotten very picky about suspending people for a lot less than "stealing" anything points like this. While it would work, there is a risk. I don't think I'd do a $5000 auction UNLESS you are very careful. It might throw up suspicion. Instead, do a couple of smaller auctions with different people. There could even be limits on how much you can pay with Paypal so you'll have to be careful with that too.

My advice, don't allign with family or neighbors. Instead, team up with the second cousin twice removed who lives across the country.

Also, a tip on how to avoid the Paypal fees:

USE A PERSONAL ACCOUNT! Then, as long as you pay with money in your Paypal account or a bank transfer, there are no fees. But you CAN'T use a credit card with a personal account. Nowhere on the ebay site does it say you can't get the points if money is sent to a personal account so there's a good tip to save money for those of you willing to buy things.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 5:58 am
Suspended

JohnnyUMF

Could someone please explain how you are getting 100,000 miles out of this. I guess I'm confused because the ebay chart shows a conversion of 5,000 points to 2,326 AAdvantage miles...
Old Apr 20, 2004, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
ShareBuilder Questions

[QUOTE=burgerwars]I opened my Points.Com Plus account using Fairmont Hotel's offer, joined Anything Points with my eBay account, opened up a ShareBuilder account using the link from eBay, and then put in a $5 order to buy $1 worth (a fractional share) of Midwest Air, which should complete tomorrow (ShareBuilder seems to only do transactions on Tuesday).
QUOTE]

Two questions:

Where do you go to make a $5 purchase? All I see is a market order for $15.95 or a limit order for $19.95.

How were you able to make a purchase so quickly? Did you wire transfer money into your account?
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:25 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I know it's probably just blindness

But I don't see any partners on the "partners" page at Ebay.

http://anythingpoints.ebay.com/getpoints.html

Am I losing it or do I miss it?
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP- 2MM
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Okay, I got some of these answers from reading the ebay site.

1. The points are awarded only if you pay with Paypal. That's where the Paypal fees come in.
2. and perhaps more importantly...........DON'T LET ANYBODY WITH YOUR LAST NAME OR IN YOUR HOMETOWN BID ON YOUR AUCTION! EBAY COULD CLOSE BOTH YOUR ACCOUNTS. THEN YOU LOSE THE POINTS AND YOUR EBAY PRIVILIGES!.

Why? It's not stealing! As long as you pay the eBay fees they still make almost $ 500 off you. It's all within the guidelines so they shouldn't care if my wife sells me a domain.

Ebay has gotten very picky about suspending people for a lot less than "stealing" anything points like this. While it would work, there is a risk. I don't think I'd do a $5000 auction UNLESS you are very careful. It might throw up suspicion. Instead, do a couple of smaller auctions with different people. There could even be limits on how much you can pay with Paypal so you'll have to be careful with that too..
It's not stealing just like it is not stealing miles buyng 5000 cases of Kellogg's

Smaller Items the cost are to high. a $ 1000 item i.e. would bring you cost to a little more than 1 cent per miles...

My advice, don't allign with family or neighbors. Instead, team up with the second cousin twice removed who lives across the country.

Also, a tip on how to avoid the Paypal fees:

USE A PERSONAL ACCOUNT! Then, as long as you pay with money in your Paypal account or a bank transfer, there are no fees. But you CAN'T use a credit card with a personal account. Nowhere on the ebay site does it say you can't get the points if money is sent to a personal account so there's a good tip to save money for those of you willing to buy things.
Personal account have low limits.....
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF
Could someone please explain how you are getting 100,000 miles out of this. I guess I'm confused because the ebay chart shows a conversion of 5,000 points to 2,326 AAdvantage miles...
https://points.com/landingPages/exch...87883140523063
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:51 am

Ok verse99, I'm new here so a bit confused. I understand that you're selling a $5000 item on eBay and giving 5 points per dollar, costing $0.01 per point.

so (5000 * 5 points * $0.01 = $250) + $86.81 + $0.40 = $337.21 for 25,000 eBay Points
Special promotion until April 30, 2004 doubles Points, so $337.21 for 50,000 eBay Points.
Effectively $0.0067442 per point

* I think that if you pay the PayPal using a checking transfer from a Personal account, you can avoid the credit card fees. Is this correct? Or are there additional restrictions in order to earn the eBay points?

The question is, how do you convert the 50,000 Points to 52,325 AA Miles? At the eBay Points redeem site, it says that 10,000 eBay points equals 4,465 AA miles. Is there another special promo going on that I don't see?

At the stated transfer rate into AA, 50k points equals 22325 AA miles. Brings this deal up to $0.0151 per mile, assuming you can wiggle out of the Paypal fee. Not bad, but can we make it better?
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Hertz PC, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I have the same question as JohnnyUMF. Are people converting the ebay anything points to Aadvantage miles at better than the 5,000 points to 2,326 AAdvantage miles? Is there a special type of membership required to convert points at a better exchange ratio?

verse99: How do you get this ratio?: "So that's a quick 50K eBay Points or 52325 AA Miles through eBay Points"
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:54 am

beautiful.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:00 am

checked my personal paypal account, and there's a monthly limit of $1000 received. so verse99's right. to do the big transactions, we gotta pay the paypal fees.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:44 am

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
given that you'll need a paypal merchant account to get past the $1K personal account limit, you might as well pay the $5K using a mileage-earning credit card which is an extra 5,000 miles. plus, the ebay fees you pay will also earn you miles, so this deal is getting better and better

however, if you have a lot of friends that have personal paypal accounts it is more cost effective to do many sub-$1K auctions.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:53 am

[QUOTE=gnat_]Ok verse99, I'm new here so a bit confused. I understand that you're selling a $5000 item on eBay and giving 5 points per dollar, costing $0.01 per point.

so (5000 * 5 points * $0.01 = $250) + $86.81 + $0.40 = $337.21 for 25,000 eBay Points
Special promotion until April 30, 2004 doubles Points, so $337.21 for 50,000 eBay Points.
Effectively $0.0067442 per point

[QUOTE]

With a special promotion 1 point is a little more than 1 mile.

The cost are also a little more than that since you also have to pay fees to eBay for "selling" a $ 5000 items.

Look at my original post.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:07 am

IIRC, there's a limit of like $300 or so per month you can receive with a Paypal Personal acct, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.