Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This archive contains older posts from the original Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (consolidated) thread. The current, active thread can be read here.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
I requested 500-mile upgrades for MIA-AUA-MIA for a trip in a couple of weeks, and the system took the request...

Just another data point!
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
We flew BGI-MIA 2 weeks ago and both of us were upgraded using 500 mile stickers. Can't see AA treating Aruba different than Barbados.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Within the definition of Caribbean, I thought Curacao and Aruba were included, but apparently not as per phone CSR (regular desk as I think EXP desk was closed when I called). Are they classified as South American then? Has anyone had any experience with using 500 mile stickers on these routes? Do you have to use miles+copay or eVIP to upgrade flights to CUR and/or AUA, although I can't imagine anyone using a eVIP on these routes...
Just this past June I used EXP upgrade for a trip to CUR. Didn't require any extra miles or eVIPs, so it should be doable with stickers.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
I have the same issue. Tix are ticketed but cant click 500 mile upgrade for mia-cur segment.

Is cur not longer considered Carribbean?
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Regarding destinations you can use 500 miles stickers for, AA.com states:

•Upgrades may be used on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection marketed and operated flights offering a First or Business Class cabin within and between the 50 United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, The Bahamas, Bermuda, as well as between the United States and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua or Panama).

Within the definition of Caribbean, I thought Curacao and Aruba were included, but apparently not as per phone CSR (regular desk as I think EXP desk was closed when I called). Are they classified as South American then? Has anyone had any experience with using 500 mile stickers on these routes? Do you have to use miles+copay or eVIP to upgrade flights to CUR and/or AUA, although I can't imagine anyone using a eVIP on these routes...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM+, A3 GLD
Well, FWIW this seems to be a glitch in the website. My CUR reservation shows N/A for the sticker requests, even though I did submit them when I booked it. Similar reservations for AUA shows the upgrade box as usual (available just like a domestic route). When called, AA reassured me that the sticker request was submitted alright at booking, and was still pending, everything was OK, the agent had no idea why the website would not show it.

if the website error persists, others might have luck calling in the upg request.

Originally Posted by KL808
I have the same issue. Tix are ticketed but cant click 500 mile upgrade for mia-cur segment.

Is cur not longer considered Carribbean?
Old May 25, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
I am not opening a new thread for this question/observation, but am curious if anyone else has noticed what I noticed today. Got the notification this morning that me and my GF have been UG'd on JFK-FLL this weekend. Of course, system split us up. So I went in and changed the seats. When viewing my reservation on AA.com I noticed that in the Upgrade Reservation where it says 'Request Upgrade?' it says 'Requested' underneath. I seem to recall that in the past once you were confirmed up front this went from 'Requested' to 'Confirmed.' Anyone else notice this? I can't think of any reason to be concerned because everything looks fine, but am curious if anyone else noticed.
Old May 25, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MCMAHONSMR
I am not opening a new thread for this question/observation, but am curious if anyone else has noticed what I noticed today. Got the notification this morning that me and my GF have been UG'd on JFK-FLL this weekend. Of course, system split us up. So I went in and changed the seats. When viewing my reservation on AA.com I noticed that in the Upgrade Reservation where it says 'Request Upgrade?' it says 'Requested' underneath. I seem to recall that in the past once you were confirmed up front this went from 'Requested' to 'Confirmed.' Anyone else notice this? I can't think of any reason to be concerned because everything looks fine, but am curious if anyone else noticed.
I have this happen about 15% of the time; it's never caused a problem. Sometimes it will even revert back to "Confirmed" just by refreshing the page.
Old May 25, 2011, 3:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by MCMAHONSMR
Got the notification this morning that me and my GF have been UG'd on JFK-FLL this weekend. Of course, system split us up. So I went in and changed the seats. When viewing my reservation on AA.com I noticed that in the Upgrade Reservation where it says 'Request Upgrade?' it says 'Requested' underneath.
This issue, and the exact reverse of it, were recently discussed in this thread. Give it a read to see others' experiences.
Old May 26, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM+, A3 GLD
Originally Posted by gabrielbf
Well, FWIW this seems to be a glitch in the website. My CUR reservation shows N/A for the sticker requests, even though I did submit them when I booked it. Similar reservations for AUA shows the upgrade box as usual (available just like a domestic route). When called, AA reassured me that the sticker request was submitted alright at booking, and was still pending, everything was OK, the agent had no idea why the website would not show it.

if the website error persists, others might have luck calling in the upg request.
As an update, the website kept showing N/A for the sticker request box within the reservation to the very last minute before the upgrade window opened, after which, the upgrade was confirmed, and so was the website bug.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
upgrades not clearing automatically?

Has anyone else experienced recent difficulty with upgrades clearing automatically?

My wife (PLT) was flying LAX-JFK last week and had requested an upgrade about 4 months prior. At 72hrs the J cabin was showing less than half full and remained relatively empty (with 11 open seats at 24hrs out) - while not a perfect indicator of loads still a pretty good sign. Right at 24hrs while I was asleep I received an EF alert of R inventory. When I logged onto AA.com 7 hours later her upgrade still hadn't cleared even though EF was showing R5. Calling AA the automated upgrade system said it was unable to clear the upgrade but an agent was able to immediately process her upgrade into R.

While I understand AA clears upgrades in a batch process, I've never seen it take 7+ hours when well within the 24hr window.

Also odd, her 500 mile upgrades still haven't been pulled from her account a week after the flight. As an EXP it's been a while, thankfully, since I've needed stickers but I seem to recall them getting pulled within a day or two.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:08 am

HOW CAN A NON EXP BE UG'D AHEAD of AN EXP?

I have reviewed this thread and the Wiki and thought I understood the AA UG process (EXP's UG's process before PLT or GOLD)until my flight last Wednesday.
Facts:...Purchased Ticket LAX-MIA 4/15/11 and requested UG
....No UG prior to OLCI so requested that I be put on Airport List
....I'm #1 on monitor at gate but plane was down sized from 763 to a 757 so my chances are slim.(# of UG seats reduced from 30 to 22)
...I board early and overhear a pax arguing with GA that "He paid $300 for UG and will not give up his and SO's F seats"
...Seat mate arrives 10 minutes later and talks of guy arguing with GA then points him out a few minutes later when he and SO sit in 9B and 9C. It's the same guy I had seen
If this guy had to pay with stickers for the 2 of them and $300 is the correct amount for the 2342 miles LAX-MIA (5 stickers x $30 x2=$300)then he had to be a PLT or Gold. How did his UG's process before mine and then AA put him into row 9 vs 18A for me. Has AA changed the UG process?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:18 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pssteve
If this guy had to pay with stickers for the 2 of them and $300 is the correct amount for the 2342 miles LAX-MIA (5 stickers x $30 x2=$300)then he had to be a PLT or Gold. How did his UG's process before mine and then AA put him into row 9 vs 18A for me. Has AA changed the UG process?
OK, silly Has AA changed the UG process? ranting aside (no, they haven't changed things to that PLT and GLD get upgraded ahead of EXP by policy ), maybe this was a miles+copay upgrade that had already been cleared? I would think that an already-cleared upgrade would have priority over one that had not cleared.

Cheers.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:40 am

I too figured it must be Miles and co-pay situation but that is only $50 plus 15,000 miles for continental US so he would have been arguing about $100 not $300.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I too figured it must be Miles and co-pay situation but that is only $50 plus 15,000 miles for continental US so he would have been arguing about $100 not $300.
Hadn't realize that it was that little (never done it). I had thought it was something more like $150, so it would be consistent. Then I'm not sure of what the issue is. Best guess is that when the dookey hits the fan with down gauges and such, they do what is expedient and sometimes don't follow the rules. Maybe others will have alternate scenarios.

Cheers.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Copays for domestic upgrades are $75, not $50--doesn't explain the difference, but I wanted to clarify. OTOH, copays are $150 each for flights to Colombia, Ecuador, Peru or Venezuela... It's a long shot, but it's possible that person was connecting to or from a flight to one of those countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.