Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This archive contains older posts from the original Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (consolidated) thread. The current, active thread can be read here.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by mvoight
You might not know about the upgrade until just before boarding, so you may not even have the kiosk option, but then it is only $5 more.
How would you check in, and make it onto the airport waitlist, without enough stickers? I don't think what you suggest is possible--if you want to waitlist, you'll need to buy the stickers at time of check-in (whether online, at kiosk, or through an agent at the airport), so if you're at the gate just before boarding, you shouldn't find yourself in a situation where you don't have enough stickers, right? Or are you suggesting that this could happen to someone who had already checked in and after that decided to waitlist for an upgrade by asking an employee at the airport? I haven't tried that before, as I always request my upgrades well in advance.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:11 pm

Last edited by Sandra_D; Dec 3, 2010 at 1:39 pm
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, BMI
Can I use 500 mile upgrades for LHR to MIA

Hi all,
Returning home to Aus from London via America. We've accumulated a few 500 mile upgrades that are fairly worthless to us generally, but I'm wondering if I could burn 9 of them on an economy flight from LHR to MIA?

My wife will be a few months pregnant (hence the return to Aus) so I'm sure she'd appreciate it if I could wrangle some extra room.

The rest of the trip home is a business class redemption which should be much more comfortable. =)

Cheers,
Peter
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:32 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nope. only good for domestic flights - including Canada, Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America. you can use them on the MIA-XXX-AUS flights.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
try for a mi + copay award for her....buy mi's if you're short....good luck...
Old Dec 4, 2010, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ProggerPete
Hi all,
Returning home to Aus from London via America...
Not LHR-MIA, but if you follow that up with a transcon before heading OZward from a U.S. west coast gateway, you can use them on that flight (or those flights).

If you only have enough for one of you, you'll have to put your name on the request. Just swap seats on the flight, after informing the FAs so they don't get upset when they see a woman in a seat that the passenger information list says belongs to someone named Peter.

There are more suggestions for improving your chances of snagging an upgrade in other threads in this forum.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 7:25 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read the OP as they were traveling to AUS - Austin Texas. But the prior post from Efrem suggests it's Australia.

Is the OP sending his pregnant wife to Australia via the US?! Good God man what are you thinking? I hope you have lots of jewelry on order when the baby arrives to compensate for the suffering the longer journey in economy.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, BMI
Yeah, it's aus as in australia. We're already business from MIA till home, just the 1st leg stuck in economy. Going via the US was actually her idea so I should be safe.

That's assuming she stays rational of course which could be the fly in the ointment.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Yeah, it's aus as in australia. We're already business from MIA till home, just the 1st leg stuck in economy. Going via the US was actually her idea so I should be safe.

That's assuming she stays rational of course which could be the fly in the ointment.
I get it...I did JFK-LHR-SIN-SYD round trip. If not for the A380 LHR-SYD I would have regretted it...bring lots to keep you busy.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You could upgrade using Systemwide Upgrades or miles + copay (in both instances, starting at LHR, add on the not-insubstantial APD costs). Your query has been merged into the existing thread on 500 mile upgrades.

Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Is there a protocol for canceling a requested sticker upgrade before it's processed/confirmed? I read that after it's applied, you can reject the upgrade at the gate and be moved back to Y, but you may lose your seat and there needs to be space.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by johndeere19
Is there a protocol for canceling a requested sticker upgrade before it's processed/confirmed? I read that after it's applied, you can reject the upgrade at the gate and be moved back to Y, but you may lose your seat and there needs to be space.
Whenever I wanted to cancel an upgrade request, I always called the elite number (PLT at the time) to handle the request.

As you noted, if you wait until it's confirmed, you may get an undesirable seat (or worse, the flight could be completely full with no seat to give to you) if you decline the upgrade. My recommendation would be to get things squared away asap if you no longer want the upgrade.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I did a brief scan on aa.com and the FAQ here, so hopefully I didn't miss the answer to this question:

I'm flying MCO-DFW-SFO which is sold as the same flight number 1575. When I view my reservation online, it lists the flight as one segment in the "upgrade reservation" section.

Will I only get upgraded when there is X availability in both MCO-DFW and DFW-SFO segments, or is it possible to get upgraded only one of the two segments? I'm guessing the latter.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

You will only get it if there is availability on both segments.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

Originally Posted by miamigrad
Originally Posted by johndeere19
Whenever I wanted to cancel an upgrade request, I always called the elite number (PLT at the time) to handle the request.

As you noted, if you wait until it's confirmed, you may get an undesirable seat (or worse, the flight could be completely full with no seat to give to you) if you decline the upgrade. My recommendation would be to get things squared away asap if you no longer want the upgrade.
That happened to my son a few weeks back. My VIP cleared for him on a transcon on a scheduled 762. But when they switched it out for 757 I tried to downgrade him to the back but Y was sold out! Lucky kid!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.