Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This archive contains older posts from the original Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (consolidated) thread. The current, active thread can be read here.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:41 am

Will upgrade clear at 72 hours if I only have 5 x 500-mile stickers? (need 6)

Last edited by Sandra_D; Dec 3, 2010 at 1:38 pm
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Sandra_D
Do I need to purchase one additional 500 mile sticker right now in order to help my chances of getting the upgrade? The 72-hour window is coming up in a few days.
No. If the upgrade clears, you'll have to buy one more sticker online or at the airport before you board, but you don't have to have all the necessary stickers for the upgrade to clear.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:45 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
The upgrade can clear without an adequate number of stickers. Just make certain to purchase them if it clears. I believe they are more expensive if not bought online. You will have to decide what to do if it does not clear until the airport list occurs. So it might be wisest to purchase one.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:52 am

Last edited by Sandra_D; Dec 3, 2010 at 1:38 pm
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjw242
No. If the upgrade clears, you'll have to buy one more sticker online or at the airport before you board, but you don't have to have all the necessary stickers for the upgrade to clear.
If your upgrade clears in advance, I believe you need to have the correct # of stickers in your account before you can check in (online or elsewhere) and get your first class boarding pass.

If it hasn't cleared by the time you get to the airport, I'm not 100% sure how it works these days. You used to have to request to get on the standby list and you needed the stickers in your account to do that. I think now the standby list is an automatic continuation of the advance upgrade process. I think your upgrade can still clear if you don't have the stickers but you'll have to purchase them from the gate agent (more expensive) if you want your boarding pass. And I'm not sure what happens if you decline in terms of losing your coach seat assignment.

FWIW, I couldn't find an explanation of this process in the FAQ...
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ijgordon
If your upgrade clears in advance, I believe you need to have the correct # of stickers in your account before you can check in (online or elsewhere) and get your first class boarding pass.
Correct.

If it hasn't cleared by the time you get to the airport, I'm not 100% sure how it works these days. You used to have to request to get on the standby list and you needed the stickers in your account to do that.
Same process now. You cannot check in without the required number of stickers and ask to be put on the airport waitlist . If it hasn't cleared by the time you check in and you don't want to buy the stickers as a hedge, you'll need to resign yourself to flying coach for that day and ask not to be upgraded.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
Correct.

Same process now. You cannot check in without the required number of stickers and ask to be put on the airport waitlist . If it hasn't cleared by the time you check in and you don't want to buy the stickers as a hedge, you'll need to resign yourself to flying coach for that day and ask not to be upgraded.
OK, taking this one step further (and to the side), since purchasing excess/needed stickers at the airport is more pricey than pre-purchase online - can you purchase the stickers at the airport, but online from your smartphone/PDA/laptop/etc. for the cheaper price, and have them readily available for boarding pass pickup??
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:19 am

Last edited by Sandra_D; Dec 3, 2010 at 1:39 pm
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Ritz
OK, taking this one step further (and to the side), since purchasing excess/needed stickers at the airport is more pricey than pre-purchase online - can you purchase the stickers at the airport, but online from your smartphone/PDA/laptop/etc. for the cheaper price, and have them readily available for boarding pass pickup??
IME, sticker purchases take a while to show up, so what I do is go through the online check-in process which will prompt you to buy the needed stickers in order to check in. By doing it that way, I am only charged $30 per sticker, and am allowed to check in and be placed on the airport list. You can even do this if you cannot print your BP, as it will still get you checked in and allow you to buy the stickers and get waitlisted, then you can just reprint them at the airport if you weren't able to print the BPs on your own.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Note that this is all clearly covered on the FlyerGuide wiki, which is linked to from one of the stickies at the top of the AA forum. The relevant sentences:

You do not need to have sufficient stickers in your account to request an upgrade. However, if your upgrade clears prior to check-in, you will be required to purchase stickers in order to complete check-in. If your upgrade does not clear prior to check-in, you will be required to purchase stickers at check-in in order to remain on the upgrade waitlist at the airport.
You'll find a plethora of information on the wiki in a well-organized format; I encourage you to check it out!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by ashill
Note that this is all clearly covered on the FlyerGuide wiki, which is linked to from one of the stickies at the top of the AA forum. The relevant sentences:

You'll find a plethora of information on the wiki in a well-organized format; I encourage you to check it out!
Please note - this isn't:

Which is why every now and again its actually welcomed when a newbie brings up a point that can tangentially touch upon points others were curious about.

Originally Posted by Microwave
IME, sticker purchases take a while to show up, so what I do is go through the online check-in process which will prompt you to buy the needed stickers in order to check in. By doing it that way, I am only charged $30 per sticker, and am allowed to check in and be placed on the airport list. You can even do this if you cannot print your BP, as it will still get you checked in and allow you to buy the stickers and get waitlisted, then you can just reprint them at the airport if you weren't able to print the BPs on your own.
Thanks for this! I will def keep this in mind next time I fall a few stickers short.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Exclamation

Purchasing stickers from an airport kiosk is at the same price as online - $30. It only costs more when you purchase directly from the AAgent at the counter.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
after all this - i just hope your upgrade clears...have seen a lot of PLT's complain about upgrades not clearing this year due to the giant amount of EXP's (multiple promo's last year)...all the best!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Please note - this isn't:

Which is why every now and again its actually welcomed when a newbie brings up a point that can tangentially touch upon points others were curious about.

Thanks for this! I will def keep this in mind next time I fall a few stickers short.
What's new? Why would buying online while at the airport be any different than buying online when not at the airport? AA.COM doesn't care. It's buying online, and previous FT discussions have gone over this, and AA warns you about the delay on the website. If you buy them, they don't expire. You might not know about the upgrade until just before boarding, so you may not even have the kiosk option, but then it is only $5 more.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
If you go through the links on aa.com to purchase upgrade stickers, it says that it may take up to 3 hours for the purchase to clear. In my experience (last week) it took about an hour and a half, but YYMV. It is NOT instantaneous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.