Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This archive contains older posts from the original Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (consolidated) thread. The current, active thread can be read here.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:07 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by cjpark
I have 120 of the upgrade stickers that I can never use due to always flying international. I really hope that AA would offer AAdvantage members like myself a way to use the stickers. Right now they are only good for a warm fuzzy when I look at my personal account.
FAQ:

What can I do with 500-mile upgrade / stickers I cannot use?

Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:52 pm

Can anyone please confirm what the latest rule is re: stickers used when a PLT upgrades as a companion to an EXP. I'm EXP and flying with a PLT member and have linked the reservations. If my companion gets upgraded will the stickers get deducted from my account or his account? I've been told conflicting info from the EXP desk and I haven't done this in years, so my experience is outdated.

TIA
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0
Can anyone please confirm what the latest rule is re: stickers used when a PLT upgrades as a companion to an EXP. I'm EXP and flying with a PLT member and have linked the reservations. If my companion gets upgraded will the stickers get deducted from my account or his account? I've been told conflicting info from the EXP desk and I haven't done this in years, so my experience is outdated.

TIA
Stickers get deducted separately now (so, from the PLT account):

• How many 500-mile electronic upgrades / stickers do I need?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post now moved to a more appropriate thread. /Moderator
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dstan
Stickers get deducted separately now (so, from the PLT account):

• How many 500-mile electronic upgrades / stickers do I need?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post now moved to a more appropriate thread. /Moderator
Yes, the 500-mile upgrades are suppose to be pulled from the elite's account (i.e. Plat) presumming you have enough. HOWEVER, if you get a GA or AC agent that doesn't know that, they may cause the upgrades to be pulled from the EXP's account. I've travelled quite a bit as a companion of an EXP and about 20% of the time the upgrades get pulled from the wrong account. Usually a phone call or eMail to AAdvantage Customer Service gets it corrected.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Two stoopid questions

I looked at wikis, stickies, glossary and AA.com. I must be missing something so I apologize in advance.

1. For 500-mile upgrade stickers earned by GLD and PLT members, what constitutes the "base miles" in the wording "for every 10,000 qualifying base miles flown"? Only AA-metal flights? or also AA codeshares? or also OW qualifying flights, etc.? I am about to book a TATL with IB-metal/IB-flt# in "O" and am wondering if it will count towards my 10,000 'base miles'.

2. For SWUs, are they available for use in upgrading an Economy-class AAdvantage award flight or only paid tickets? I think I know the answer to this one but couldn't find a definitive piece of info (everything I found just referred to 'eligible fares').

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
2. For SWUs, are they available for use in upgrading an Economy-class AAdvantage award flight or only paid tickets? I think I know the answer to this one but couldn't find a definitive piece of info (everything I found just referred to 'eligible fares').

Thanks!
How odd, I found this in the FAQ thread (the one that says "Please check here first"). Not sure where you were looking.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post15556947

Cheers.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I looked at wikis, stickies, glossary and AA.com. I must be missing something so I apologize in advance.

1. For 500-mile upgrade stickers earned by GLD and PLT members, what constitutes the "base miles" in the wording "for every 10,000 qualifying base miles flown"? Only AA-metal flights? or also AA codeshares? or also OW qualifying flights, etc.? I am about to book a TATL with IB-metal/IB-flt# in "O" and am wondering if it will count towards my 10,000 'base miles'.

Thanks!
1. AA operated flights
2. On paid tickets
Both of these are documented on AA.com and on FT>
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by mvoight
1. AA operated flights
Actually, it's not necessarily AA operated flights. Any flight that earn EQM will qualifies.

Q: How do I earn upgrades?
A: AAdvantage Gold and AAdvantage Platinum members earn 4 electronic upgrades for every 10,000 qualifying actual miles flown on a elite qualifying carrier.

Note: IB TATL other than spain, will only earn less, just like your EQM
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Originally Posted by brp
How odd, I found this in the FAQ thread (the one that says "Please check here first"). Not sure where you were looking.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post15556947

Cheers.
well thank you. i did look in wikis, stickies, glossary and aa.com (and google), but missed the faq!

now on the other question (#1), seems like there isn't a clear answer yet, would I or would I not earn miles towards my 10,000 mile upgrades on IB flights to/from ORD<->MAD? IB metal and IB flt#. Who's right? Fly2Where or mvoight?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
well thank you. i did look in wikis, stickies, glossary and aa.com (and google), but missed the faq!

now on the other question (#1), seems like there isn't a clear answer yet, would I or would I not earn miles towards my 10,000 mile upgrades on IB flights to/from ORD<->MAD? IB metal and IB flt#. Who's right? Fly2Where or mvoight?
You should earn full miles towards upgrades on that flight. You will earn 100% eqm because it is US-Spain. This should count toward upgrade qualifying miles as well. Or at least in my recent experience, it does.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:39 pm

Say it ain't so

Bottom line, any EQM you earn will also count equally toward your MTEU counter. The only exception is on double/triple EQM promotions, in which the additional bonus EQM do not also increment the MTEU counter.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by dstan
Say it ain't so

Bottom line, any EQM you earn will also count equally toward your MTEU counter. The only exception is on double/triple EQM promotions, in which the additional bonus EQM do not also increment the MTEU counter.
and the EQM reset on Jan 1, while the MTEU resets on Mar 1

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, the 500-mile upgrades are suppose to be pulled from the elite's account (i.e. Plat) presumming you have enough. HOWEVER, if you get a GA or AC agent that doesn't know that, they may cause the upgrades to be pulled from the EXP's account. I've travelled quite a bit as a companion of an EXP and about 20% of the time the upgrades get pulled from the wrong account. Usually a phone call or eMail to AAdvantage Customer Service gets it corrected.
hmm, a simple intuitive way that AA could add to their web services:

Add a field: [e500s required, say 12 on a transcon for two people]
Another field: [e500s contributed from 1st account]
Another field: [e500s contributed from 2nd account]

the system can add a condition line to check for eligible fares if companion is not an elite member.

This way, members can specify from where and how many the e500s will be pulled from. If on non-Y/B fares, then the system will force all of the upgrades to come from the elite's account...

Last edited by bniu; Jan 19, 2011 at 4:34 pm
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Regarding destinations you can use 500 miles stickers for, AA.com states:

•Upgrades may be used on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection marketed and operated flights offering a First or Business Class cabin within and between the 50 United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, The Bahamas, Bermuda, as well as between the United States and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua or Panama).

Within the definition of Caribbean, I thought Curacao and Aruba were included, but apparently not as per phone CSR (regular desk as I think EXP desk was closed when I called). Are they classified as South American then? Has anyone had any experience with using 500 mile stickers on these routes? Do you have to use miles+copay or eVIP to upgrade flights to CUR and/or AUA, although I can't imagine anyone using a eVIP on these routes...

Last edited by Time traveller; Mar 7, 2011 at 8:39 pm
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:10 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Regarding destinations you can use 500 miles stickers for, AA.com states:

•Upgrades may be used on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection marketed and operated flights offering a First or Business Class cabin within and between the 50 United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, The Bahamas, Bermuda, as well as between the United States and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua or Panama).

Within the definition of Caribbean, I thought Curacao and Aruba were included, but apparently not as per phone CSR (regular desk as I think EXP desk was closed when I called). Are they classified as South American then? Has anyone had any experience with using 500 mile stickers on these routes? Do you have to use miles+copay or eVIP to upgrade flights to CUR and/or AUA, although I can't imagine anyone using a eVIP on these routes...
The CSR was wrong. We have used stickers to Aruba several times. I would assume that Curacao is the same. Unless AA have changed their view of geography yet again, that is.

Of course, it's very easy to find out. Simply start a booking to there and see if it has a place to request upgrades. No need to call anyone or inquire here, even.

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by brp
The CSR was wrong. We have used stickers to Aruba several times. I would assume that Curacao is the same. Unless AA have changed their view of geography yet again, that is.

Of course, it's very easy to find out. Simply start a booking to there and see if it has a place to request upgrades. No need to call anyone or inquire here, even.

Cheers.
Thanks for your reply. Upon booking the flight, the boxes for 500 mile upgrade appear, however after clicking on them and submit, it returns an error. So I called the EXP desk only to get a regular CSR, who gave me the info that 500 mile stickers weren't available for the MIA-CUR segment. I will have to try calling during regular business hours to talk to a "real" EXP desk CSR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.