Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This archive contains older posts from the original Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (consolidated) thread. The current, active thread can be read here.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
End up only two people requested upgrade and I'm #1. So I'm sitting with my daughter
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Upgrade certificate - timing

Can anyone speak to the amount of time it takes for the 4 500-mile certificates to hit your account upon passing the 10K mile barrier? I flew on Friday to get past the barrier, but nothing has hit my account yet. I fly tomorrow and am hoping to request an upgrade before then.

Thanks!

CB
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainB
Can anyone speak to the amount of time it takes for the 4 500-mile certificates to hit your account upon passing the 10K mile barrier? I flew on Friday to get past the barrier, but nothing has hit my account yet. I fly tomorrow and am hoping to request an upgrade before then.

Thanks!

CB
My last 4 posted 2 days after I passed the 10k mile mark.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:42 pm

I don't understand how the upgrade works. last time I got cleared at the gate, with only two people requested upgrade, I was #1 (as a gold member!)

I was not cleared at 24 hours. when I checked in online it did ask whether I want to stay on airport wait list. there were 5 empty first class seats when we took off. totally no idea why they didn't clear me at T-24.

I'm not complaining though as they didn't deduct my stickers!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mingw
I don't understand how the upgrade works. last time I got cleared at the gate, with only two people requested upgrade, I was #1 (as a gold member!)

I was not cleared at 24 hours. when I checked in online it did ask whether I want to stay on airport wait list. there were 5 empty first class seats when we took off. totally no idea why they didn't clear me at T-24.

For Gold, T-24 is the earliest possible time your upgrades can clear. AA tends to hold off longer if they think there is the slightest chance they can sell the F seat.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by mingw

You got cleared but no stickers were deducted? Lucky you.

As Xero said, T-24 is just the start of the window when they can upgrade you, not when they will.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: One World Emerald/AA Executive Platinum/Qantas Gold/United Premier Gold/most USA airlines
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
...you will earn 4 500 mile domestic upgrade segments (at one time called stickers) for each 10,000 actual miles flown.
Fairly new to flying AA and am currently GLD. I've read the same info on AA site, but still am left wondering...I assume that once I hit GLD, it will then begin the 10K actual miles flown "clock"...or, will I get credit for prior miles?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PNGento
Fairly new to flying AA and am currently GLD. I've read the same info on AA site, but still am left wondering...I assume that once I hit GLD, it will then begin the 10K actual miles flown "clock"...or, will I get credit for prior miles?
They start accruing after you hit Gold.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AAdmirals Club, HHonors GLD
I apologize if this is anwered elsewhere but I couldn't find it . . . I am currently Gold but will be Plat in two weeks after completing my next trip. I have to book a domestic flight for November and want to request upgrades using stickers. If I book now, will the system know to move up my upgrade window to 72 hours even if I book the trip as a Gold?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Northshore Bob
will the system know to move up my upgrade window to 72 hours even if I book the trip as a Gold?
Probably not, but go ahead and book. After you make PLT, call and ask them to update your reservations.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, PC/IC Plat/Amb
Just lost my status, wife and child still Gold...any way to use my e500's to upgrade a V class ticket (they still show in my account)? -or use their e500's if I can't use mine? Seems to make little sense that I earned the upgrades but can't use them?!?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:15 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by devlboy
Just lost my status, wife and child still Gold...any way to use my e500's to upgrade a V class ticket (they still show in my account)? -or use their e500's if I can't use mine? Seems to make little sense that I earned the upgrades but can't use them?!?
Are they traveling with you? You can be their companion, bu the stickers will come from their account - not yours. You can only use yours on a Y/B fare.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:06 pm
ts3

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, BAEC, SPG, UA, AF
New LT PLT and Sticker upgrades

As a LT Gold, I never used stickers as on the routes I flew I tended to never got upgrades. I tend to use miles instead. Now that I'm LT PLT, I would like to make use of sticker upgrades more often vs miles+copay.

I've read the FAQ and Wiki, and there are frequent references to "EXP heavy routes." For a PLT, that would seem to be a deciding factor in getting upgrades. I usual book my flight 1-4 months in advance, so I know that helps, but I also book deep discount. I almost always connect at DFW but sometimes ORD. My first leg is always on Eagle as that is all we have here in Hooterville.

So, is there any info available on "EXP heavy routes"? Are there any tricks to monitoring upgrade availability? I have an Expert Flyer membership, and I'm wondering if I can use it to help make the decision to use miles instead of waiting for sticker upgrades.

FYI, my typical routes are SGF-DFW-SFO, SGF-DFW-TUS, SGF-DFW(ORD)-LGA.

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Of the routes you mention, DFW-SFO can be quite elite heavy, as can DFW/ORD-LGA, but even that is really dependent on time and day; Monday mornings may have more elites than kettles (or it may seem that way), whereas Wednesday afternoon may be much less so.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:51 pm

also on the way out, you would be through passenger and would get ranked higher than other PLT for second leg, increasing your chance. but if you book far advance enough probably doesn't matter.

the TUS flight you shouldn't have much problem. I got 60% change as a gold, on friday and sunday afternoon flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.