Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This archive contains older posts from the original Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (consolidated) thread. The current, active thread can be read here.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by nitrobass24
Searched the thread and didnt find an answer so im hoping this is the right place for this.

I have a flight tomorrow morning. Requested an UG when i ticketed on AA.com.
The UG didnt clear T72, does my place on the list at the gate have anything to do when i check-in for the flight?

Basically should i check in online now or just wait till i get to the airport?
As I understand it today, your request date stays with you up to departure. However, your check-in time helps with IRROPs. So as long as everything goes well, your check-in time doesn't matter. The airport list should be honored by the GA, but as you get closer to departure they may choose to deviate to speed departure (i.e. next person on list has already boarded in Y).

Yes, there have been reports of GAs finding Y pax and pulling them up to F, but let's be real... If they are close to departure time, that's not likely to happen.

Bottom line, if you can, check-in at t-24 just to cover your bases.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Cool, good to know about the IRROPs
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: Various
Dont' forget the Airport Upgrade List

Make sure when you check in that you are added to the airport upgrade list. It doesn't automatically happen, and it's separate from the upgrade list you have already placed yourself on.

When checking in, this can be done:

On a mobile device/AA app
aa.com
Any kiosk at AA's check in counter or rebooking center
Asking at the check in counter
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Mr. Kipper is flying on a Y fare next Friday. I know he'd need 3 500-mile upgrades, which I was going to buy today. However, he is flying for work, and works for the federal government. Will I waste the money in buying the upgrades, or if space is available, will he still be upgraded?

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kipper
Mr. Kipper is flying on a Y fare next Friday. I know he'd need 3 500-mile upgrades, which I was going to buy today. However, he is flying for work, and works for the federal government. Will I waste the money in buying the upgrades, or if space is available, will he still be upgraded?

Thanks!
Unless he is on a restricted gov't fare (do they even exist anymore?) there should be no problem with being able to get upgraded. Of course that is presumming there are upgrades available. That may depend upon his status, the actual flight(s), and how many elites are doing MRs.

A bit more info would help: Flight #, city pair, and farecode.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Unless he is on a restricted gov't fare (do they even exist anymore?) there should be no problem with being able to get upgraded. Of course that is presumming there are upgrades available. That may depend upon his status, the actual flight(s), and how many elites are doing MRs.

A bit more info would help: Flight #, city pair, and farecode.
He doesn't have status, flight number is AA358, city pair is LAS to ORD, fare code is Y.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He doesn't have status, flight number is AA358, city pair is LAS to ORD, fare code is Y.
Looking at the seat map on AA.com (not the most reliable), there are not many coach seats left and many seats open in F. It's too early for the elite upgrades to be processed so expect many changes as T-100, 72, and 24 roll around.

Personally, doesn't look to promising, so I'd hold off on the purchase. However, it only takes one seat to be open for it to come through. The up side even if you buy the upgrades and the upgrade doesn't happen, he will still have them for future use.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:44 am

Looking at the seat map on AA.com (not the most reliable), there are not many coach seats left and many seats open in F. It's too early for the elite upgrades to be processed so expect many changes as T-100, 72, and 24 roll around.

Personally, doesn't look to promising, so I'd hold off on the purchase. However, it only takes one seat to be open for it to come through. The up side even if you buy the upgrades and the upgrade doesn't happen, he will still have them for future use.
I hesitate to spend the $90 now to buy them and him not use them, as this is the first time in 5 years that he's flown AA. Do they ever expire?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hesitate to spend the $90 now to buy them and him not use them, as this is the first time in 5 years that he's flown AA. Do they ever expire?
As I said, I would probably pass on trying for the upgrade, but you can buy them at the gate for a higher fee IF the upgrade clears. You can buy them using miles if you are flush with them. They do not expire and can be used for companions.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:38 am

As I said, I would probably pass on trying for the upgrade, but you can buy them at the gate for a higher fee IF the upgrade clears. You can buy them using miles if you are flush with them. They do not expire and can be used for companions.
LOL, he isn't flush with miles, so I'll probably pass. Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Edit: Nevermind, i solved it.

Last edited by mvtm; Feb 28, 2012 at 5:51 pm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:09 am

After thinking about it for a while, I purchased the upgrades. If he doesn't get upgraded, not a huge loss.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
2 Questions

1. My wife booked a trip for her and her mom that is coming up in 3 weeks. When she booked (September) she was a PLT, but has now softlanded to GLD. Is her place in line listed as a PLT since thats what it was when requested, or has she fallen down the list now?

2. If I am flying on a PNR with a PLT/GLD and we both make our UGs, will they pull the stickers out of the PLT/GLDs account for their UGs or my account?

Last edited by nitrobass24; Mar 4, 2012 at 8:12 pm Reason: Speeling
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've been seeing some odd upgrade behavior this week that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Travel between DFW and SFO.

1st EXP makes reservation for round-trip and requests comp upgrades.

Two days later 2nd EXP makes reservation for same flights for himself and another person with no status and requests upgrades for them both.

Right at the 100 hour window 1st EXP clears and is upgraded. 2nd EXP does not.

Nothing strange so far obviously.

2nd EXP now calls to have the other person traveling with him linked to the 1st EXP instead as the 1st has spare 500's to use up.

48 hours before flight the no status traveler now linked to the 1st EXP clears his upgrade, but 2nd EXP still does not clear.

How is that possible?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I've been seeing some odd upgrade behavior this week
"Some" to me implies that it's happened multiple times... Are you finding this to be a pattern, or a one-off?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.