Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This archive contains older posts from the original Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (consolidated) thread. The current, active thread can be read here.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
it was a mess that day (most flights delayed 1.5-4 hours) probably due to T-storms in DFW. I don't know whether phone agents ever made it correct, but she didn't get cleared before airport control. due to the delays we standby earlier flights and both we got FC from GA. agent deducted sticks from my account for one flight, and for 2nd flight no stickers were taken (short flight).

for standby, I believe she got my status. we were #2 and #3 with 21 people on the list.

also, she had no stickers in account when we tried to check-in. on iphone couldn't do it, last step errored out. but on computer, it asked to purchase stickers. we did and successfully checked in, regardless the same error (insufficient upgrades) showed up at last step.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:07 pm

I rarely use my stickers. I'm PLT and am now between 48-72 hours and unconfirmed. EF shows F6/A4 on a 16 seat F cabin MD-80.

I've yet to find an adequate explanation on how and when the X bucket gets allocated. Basically, these seats all start as F/A and get put into X sometime during the upgrade window, right?

If the flight showed F7/A7 right now would I have more likely been confirmed by now?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by dr freeze
I rarely use my stickers. I'm PLT and am now between 48-72 hours and unconfirmed. EF shows F6/A4 on a 16 seat F cabin MD-80.

I've yet to find an adequate explanation on how and when the X bucket gets allocated. Basically, these seats all start as F/A and get put into X sometime during the upgrade window, right?

If the flight showed F7/A7 right now would I have more likely been confirmed by now?
Update:

Checked in online about T-22. Had to stop by the airport today and checked with the counter. I was told that there were 6 seats in F, that there were 2 ExPlats and 10 PLTS on the list.

At T-12 I checked EF and found X1 available. Interestingly, I did not ever receive the alert from EF that I had setup. Called AA and they confirmed me in first.

Is this standard? Did I "jump the line" somehow?
Old May 16, 2012, 1:30 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Slow seat assignment after/during sticker upgrade?

Here's one I haven't seen before:

Early this morning, I got an ExpertFlyer alert that our upgrade has cleared (actually a Seat Alert that our coach seats are empty). However, although our Y seats are now showing empty, the F cabin is also empty on the EF seatmap.

I go to AA.com - our reservation still shows us in our Y seats, and I can even Change seats and reconfirm the Y seats. However, the AA seatmap matches the EF seatmap - our Y seats are showing empty, but we are also not in F.

8:10am (exactly T-72 hours) - get our upgrade notification email and lo and behold, both our AA.com reservation and the seatmaps show us in seats in the F cabin.

Not complaining about them waiting to T-72 (PLT), of course, but the conflicting seatmap/reservation information in the interim was a bit troubling. Anyone else experienced this?
Old May 18, 2012, 1:13 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Redux

Same thing just happened on our return flight, except that only my seat showed empty on the seatmap at T-84 while Mrs. dstan's was still showing occupied; both still showing our coach seats in the AA.com reservation.

At T-72, both of us were moved into F on both the reservation and seatmap.

The concern is that your seat gets pulled before the upgrade actually clears, someone else takes your seat, then the upgrade doesn't clear for whatever reason (e.g., new bookings by EXPs or F revenue pax)...now you are left potentially without a seat assignment...
Old May 18, 2012, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Unfortunately AA has several databases that need to be sync'd. I'd bet that's why your seat assignments were out of phase. Just like going in and doing a search that provides results from one source, but won't let you book when updating another source.

Keep on their case and maybe the IT group will get better about shadowing databases to keep things current.

Maybe once out of BK!
Old May 20, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
So I booked a flight from LGA-DFW in October.
There are only 2 seats in F, per EF.

If i use a schedule change to change to a later flight, will my upgrade date be today because i changed flights, or back in October when i originally booked?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Does anyone have any idea why I sometimes get upgrade notification emails and sometimes don't find out until I print my boarding pass? Can't find a notification setting in my account.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by lovely15
Does anyone have any idea why I sometimes get upgrade notification emails and sometimes don't find out until I print my boarding pass? Can't find a notification setting in my account.
Unfortunately emails & texts are not guaranteed to make it in a timely fashion if at all. However, if you go to AA's My Account and select the Notification Center tab, you should see what is set for your account.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Sticker upgrade (X) window

Put a reservation on hold today for Wed outbound and Thursday evening, late return (10:30PM out of ORD on AE).

Just got notice of upgrade on the return > 72 hours before departure. As Plat, never seen that before (I have been upgraded while on hold, just not > 72 hours before departure). Not complaining but interesting.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by JMN57
Put a reservation on hold today for Wed outbound and Thursday evening, late return (10:30PM out of ORD on AE).

Just got notice of upgrade on the return > 72 hours before departure. As Plat, never seen that before (I have been upgraded while on hold, just not > 72 hours before departure). Not complaining but interesting.
Uhhh, isn't Wednesday less than 72 hours away? 5:47EDT on Wednesday is just 48 hours from now.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Originally Posted by DillMan
Uhhh, isn't Wednesday less than 72 hours away? 5:47EDT on Wednesday is just 48 hours from now.
He was upgraded on the Thursday return flight......
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by JMN57

I've had instances like this where out-and-backs were considered as one trip. In such cases, when I checked in I got all of my BPs for the itinerary, and upgrades cleared based on the first flight time, even for segments that were technically on the "return". Not common, but it has happened!

-----

I've gone ahead and merged this topic in with the existing consolidated thread on this matter.

~Moderator
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:17 am

I am actually going somewhere and could use miles for award ticket. Still have 500 upgrade sticker in account. Anyone had any luck using 500 mile upgrades with award ticket? I am gold status if that matters.

TIA
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by FunWith4Kids
I am actually going somewhere and could use miles for award ticket. Still have 500 upgrade sticker in account. Anyone had any luck using 500 mile upgrades with award ticket? I am gold status if that matters.

TIA
You can't. 500 upgrade stickers can only be used on pay tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.