Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 4:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've had nothing but good to say about my iGo Juice, whether run from 100 - 220 VAC, aircraft or automobile power - it runs my computer(s) and charges my phone (and can do so simultaneously,) has the ability to power a number of devices using the proper tip.

Originally Posted by Silverado
I have the iGo Juice 70 which comes with connectors for auto/air/wall current power. For AA, I use the auto (cigarette lighter) adapter. If I'm on a flight that uses Empower, the auto adapter snaps off to provide the Empower connector. The wall current adaptor is a three prong US plug, but a multi-adaptor for other countries solves that. The Juice 70 ran me about $80.

I also bought the dual-port adapter for $15. It adds another tip connector so I can charge a phone, iPod, camera, etc at the same time. Tips that work with it are available for about $10.

I've had it for two years now and have taken it from home to car to flight to hotel to conference room and all over the world. Never a problem. I'm not sure if it's the absolute gold standard, but for al around use, it fits my needs perfectly.
Old May 24, 2007, 4:07 pm

Check www.seatguru.com for powerport and seat configs.

Originally Posted by the phoenix
<snip>

Will keep y'all posted. As for my seats, I did try to seat myself on the 763 and 737 on the "power port appropriate" rows But i will double check the seat map on aa.com
Old May 24, 2007, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides

My MacBookPro normally draws 85 watts. It does not charge onboard but it will run indefinitely from an AA powerport--or least from FRA to ORD--without running down the battery.
Your MacBookPro (and mine too) does not charge because the MagSafe Airline Adaptor is meant to power the notebook, not charge the battery.

My laptop works perfectly onboard any AA aircraft that has power ports, and as you've been told, seatguru.com will tell you which seat has them.

Back in my PC days, before I got my IGO with the cigarette lighter cord, I had a small pocketsized power inverter and my regular 110V charger. That did not work because the inverter drew too much current.

Once I went to an Igo Juice, it worked perfectly onboard.
Old May 24, 2007, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Sounds Like I will look into the igo juice.
Is this the model some of you have? Mobility PS0055-11 iGo Juice Combination AC and Auto/Air Power
And thanks JDiver, I actually did cross ref. my aa res with seatguru, and I am in the appropriate rows. Now I just need the right power!

Last edited by the phoenix; May 24, 2007 at 5:13 pm
Old May 24, 2007, 5:18 pm

PS0055-DP iGo juice70 is what I have, iirc.

Sounds Like I will look into the igo juice.
Is this the model some of you have? Mobility PS0055-11 iGo Juice Combination AC and Auto/Air Power
And thanks JDiver, I actually did cross ref. my aa res with seatguru, and I am in the appropriate rows. Now I just need the right power!
Old May 25, 2007, 2:22 pm

SQ Solution

Originally Posted by JDiver
PS0055-DP iGo juice70 is what I have, iirc.

Singapore Airlines Business seats have a standard plug in the seat that twists for US 110 or 220 British-type. Lovely as you don't need to carry an adaptor, and can charge/use your iPod & laptops.
Old May 25, 2007, 8:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Also if Lind has no adapter for a popular laptop it is because they know it cannot work with a seat power adapter in an aircraft. They are really the gold standard of DC to DC adapters.

Based on recommendation on this board, bought an adapter from Lind for my lapttop and it worked with no problem. Was able to use my laptop on various flights.
Old May 30, 2007, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier
cannot help but comment

Originally Posted by netsean02
I'll catch you on a technicality here. You are correct, a DC to DC converter is not an inverter, but it is not a transformer either. Transformers only work with AC power. The best term to use to describe a DC to DC converter would be a voltage regulator.
As an electrical engineer, I have to add my two cents. A voltage regulator can also be AC in and DC out (hence not the best term) and is a description only that the voltage is output regulated(DC). DC to DC is a voltage conversion (called a voltage converter), of which there are specialized circuits depending upon the requirements. The most efficient type of conversion is done by converting DC internally to a high freq. (tranformers are not used) then back to DC out (more than 85% efficiency can be achieved). The user only sees only 4 pins - 2 in and 2 out. AC to DC is generally inefficient at 60Hz (less than 40% efficiency).
Old May 30, 2007, 10:30 pm

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
Originally Posted by Silverado
I have the iGo Juice 70 which comes with connectors for auto/air/wall current power. For AA, I use the auto (cigarette lighter) adapter. If I'm on a flight that uses Empower, the auto adapter snaps off to provide the Empower connector. The wall current adaptor is a three prong US plug, but a multi-adaptor for other countries solves that. The Juice 70 ran me about $80.

I too have been happy with my Igo. The few times it hasn't worked has been because I've been on an MD-83, that has the set plug in, yet isn't working. I think there are a few out there they wired and never turned on. The FA and Pilot say they are on when they aren't powered.
Old May 31, 2007, 6:33 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
I'm liking my recently purchased Kensington 120W model. While shopping, I called them to complain that they switched their packaging for the IBM tips from one that includes one tip to one that includes two tips -- one for the new T60 and another for everything else -- without changing the model number, so it was impossible to shop online retailers for the tip I needed for my T60.

Their solution? They provided the model number for, and suggested I buy, the less expensive version of the adapter packaging that included no tips and then simply sent me all the tips I needed for all of my devices for free.

It ran my T60, which is a 90W device, from CDG-BOS. I can't speak for charging, since the laptop was charged when I got on the plane.
Old May 31, 2007, 6:55 am

Thanks for all the incredible input.

I'd be using either a Compaq Presario 1200T or V6500 series (preferably the latter).

Being they were bought at Best Buy, I was going to consider just stopping in. but I find their personnel are lacking in knowledge at times.

If I take an adapter home and plug it in the the car and it works, is that a good test of whether or not it will function on an AA flight? (I'd be flying a 763, 752 and 737, all in seats with power port access)

Thanks for the in-depth information and discussion.
Old May 31, 2007, 7:04 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
If I take an adapter home and plug it in the the car and it works, is that a good test of whether or not it will function on an AA flight?
No. A car will easily deliver 150 watts, and can run 300 or more watts. AA's power ports are supposedly limited to 75 watts.

Read the input voltage and amperage on the adapter. Multiply 'em together to get the watts. For example, if the input is 12 volts and 8 amps, that's 96 watts.
Old May 31, 2007, 7:39 am

THanks Guy. I will use that equation when I look at the adapter and will report.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:19 pm

For reclarification, I just read the power spec.s The presario v6105nr that I'd be using lists Power as "65W AC adapter/6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery "

So following everything said, the igo juice 70 should suffice, right? and ixnay on the empower ports, I just use the dc adapter, correct?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:57 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
For reclarification, I just read the power spec.s The presario v6105nr that I'd be using lists Power as "65W AC adapter/6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery "

So following everything said, the igo juice 70 should suffice, right?
Right.
and ixnay on the empower ports, I just use the dc adapter, correct?
Correct. Only use empower on DL and CO flights, which a true AA'er will never see unless they're bumped from AA and/or their AA flight is cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.