Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 3:30 am

I have a DC to DC inverter on contrary to other's experiences, mine works very well. I have never had an issue using it on AA flights and have used it to charge my iPod, power/charge my Sony Vaio S series laptop, etc etc. It was a generic 150watt adaptor, so I can't give specific recc's, but it has been great so far and far more flexible then a single-purpose speacialty adaptor.
Old May 24, 2007, 7:07 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I had a DC to AC inverter from Radio Shack and was happy with it, until it croaked. It worked fine when new. Then it started delivering not enough voltage to charge the notebook while it was in use. I'd hafta use the computer until the battery drained, then turn it off while leaving it plugged in to re-charge. Eventually the invertor completely stopped working. I conclude that Radio Shack inverters deteriorate gradually over time.

Now I have a chinese-made DC to DC adapter which I bought overseas. I'm quite happy with it. It comes with several different power tips, and it has a sliding switch which lets you choose any of several different output voltages.

Power ports in AA planes are rated for 75 watts max, although they easily handle a 90W notebook.
Old May 24, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Lind

I did some searching before on the boards and read that Lind had the best power adapter for flights. It wasn't chearp (~110), but I have used it on a lot of AA flights and never had a problem. If you are going to use a power adapter frequently, IMO it is the one to buy.

ZakkW
Old May 24, 2007, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CHM
Check with the maker of the computer. I know Dell and HP both have an AC/DC power source for their computers. The one I have for my Dell is exactly like an i-GO just labeled Dell.
Old May 24, 2007, 7:33 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by halcyongolf
I have a DC to DC inverter on contrary to other's experiences, mine works very well. I have never had an issue using it on AA flights and have used it to charge my iPod, power/charge my Sony Vaio S series laptop, etc etc. It was a generic 150watt adaptor, so I can't give specific recc's, but it has been great so far and far more flexible then a single-purpose speacialty adaptor.
DC to DC would not be an inverter (it would be a transformer) . An inverter takes the DC in the seat and converts it to 120V AC (square wave) for use with an AC plug. Note the 150W does not mean it consumes 150W all the time, but that it has the potential to draw that so if you use less current it would work. Exceed the limit on the seat plug and the seat plug will turn off.
Old May 24, 2007, 7:34 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ZakkW
I did some searching before on the boards and read that Lind had the best power adapter for flights. It wasn't chearp (~110), but I have used it on a lot of AA flights and never had a problem. If you are going to use a power adapter frequently, IMO it is the one to buy.

ZakkW
Also if Lind has no adapter for a popular laptop it is because they know it cannot work with a seat power adapter in an aircraft. They are really the gold standard of DC to DC adapters.
Old May 24, 2007, 7:43 am

I also recommend using a OEM type DC to DC inverter. My Lenovo draws 90W AC, but works fine on the plane in DC to DC.
Old May 24, 2007, 7:50 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
On International flights .. AA sells one or two adapters (I think they are inverters as they have 110 style plug-ins).

Think they are like $100 for onboard duty free purchase.
Old May 24, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by videomaker
AA is better than most when it comes to power ports.

As tom911 and logicalrealist suggest, the power consumption of your laptop is important.

Also, you might want to look at a power supply such as the Kensington Anywhere adapter, which can power your laptop from AC or mobile/aircraft power by just carrying one power supply (if there is a tip made for your laptop.)

There's a recent discussion of the Kensington in the Travel Technology forum.
Targus also have a combined input 'brick'. It's a little bigger than the one supplied with my Toshiba, but a heck of a lot more convenient than carrying two. I've got the APM12US, and I believe there's also a APM10US. So far I've used it in cars, on AA and on the Empower outlets on BA.
Old May 24, 2007, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
DC to DC would not be an inverter (it would be a transformer).
I'll catch you on a technicality here. You are correct, a DC to DC converter is not an inverter, but it is not a transformer either. Transformers only work with AC power. The best term to use to describe a DC to DC converter would be a voltage regulator.
Old May 24, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2+MM
iGo Juice 70 with a dual-port adaptor

I have the iGo Juice 70 which comes with connectors for auto/air/wall current power. For AA, I use the auto (cigarette lighter) adapter. If I'm on a flight that uses Empower, the auto adapter snaps off to provide the Empower connector. The wall current adaptor is a three prong US plug, but a multi-adaptor for other countries solves that. The Juice 70 ran me about $80.

I also bought the dual-port adapter for $15. It adds another tip connector so I can charge a phone, iPod, camera, etc at the same time. Tips that work with it are available for about $10.

I've had it for two years now and have taken it from home to car to flight to hotel to conference room and all over the world. Never a problem. I'm not sure if it's the absolute gold standard, but for al around use, it fits my needs perfectly.
Old May 24, 2007, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
I have a "MANLY laptop" computer that stretches the definition (at just over 13 lbs, and 135W!). Bought before started flying, and specifically for heavy duty 3D graphics (like CGI scene renderings) to take on driving vacations when had time late at night to "play". (I usually carry it in the rolling carry-on, rather than by hand anymore--big surprise )

I do lug it with me sometimes when flying if I know I will be doing flights w/o a power port (for the DVD player I got). I got a spare battery, so between the two I can go almost 4 hours on the laptop. Then another couple hours on DVD battery to watch movies/shows. Any time left on the flight I have to amuse myself another way.

If you want a computer for use on a plane, suggest a lower power one that can live on the 75W coming from the power port.

Steve

Last edited by steve32; May 24, 2007 at 2:09 pm
Old May 24, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
This has actually been discussed at length here several times over the last couple of years. The search terms "laptop" and "powerport" brought up numerous threads with many of your questions addressed.

correct

My MacBookPro normally draws 85 watts. It does not charge onboard but it will run indefinitely from an AA powerport--or least from FRA to ORD--without running down the battery.

Yes. IME, simple and pain free. Check SeatGuru to determine if your seat is supposed to have a powerport.
Thanks the Dude. A search for the term "laptop" didnt yield recent results addressing my question. Perhaps it was only b/c I searched this forum. And I wanted to be specific and address powerports on AA a/c.

Thanks so far for all the info. I am borrowing my friend's Conpaq Presario for that July 4 week. What I might do is a 'dry run", borrow it this week and see what the specifics are.

Will keep y'all posted. As for my seats, I did try to seat myself on the 763 and 737 on the "power port appropriate" rows But i will double check the seat map on aa.com
Old May 24, 2007, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You'll want to remove the battery if you know the laptop draws more power than the power port supplies. When I use my work laptop (Dell Latitude D620) the laptop goes nuts constantly trying to switch between battery to direct power because there's not enough juice to charge the battery.

After removing the battery from the bay, it works perfectly.
Old May 24, 2007, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Plato90s
You'll want to remove the battery if you know the laptop draws more power than the power port supplies.
Good advice, just remember that the power ports are not the most reliable power source, and power loss without the battery in will lose your unsaved work and could easily damage the laptop. I would definitely try it with the battery first (since AA has no policy against this unlike some other airlines) and be aware of the risk of power loss if you use it without the battery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.