Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:57 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jsm
Is 75 watts enough to jump start my car???
Only if it's a hybrid.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:37 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jsm
Is 75 watts enough to jump start my car???
If the car jumps, and it actually leaves the ground, and it's really in the air, and if you're inside it, so you're a passenger, do you get a minimum of 500 miles?
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
It does both, as that Dell model only draws 65 watts.

Tom in London
Thanks again. One last question, would there be any reason not to get this 150 watt APC model for roughly the same price? Just wondering if it would be a better longterm purchase as my 700m is over two years old and I have no idea whether most new laptops require more than 75 watts.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:02 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
We are 1/3 the way there.

I thought UA has Empower plugs.

Cows moo. (Actual fact to preserve thread's sanctity).
BA has Empower in F, so does CX. Why can't OW standardize? Honestly the burden to the traveler is just too much.

Sheep go baaaa.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Oh good grief. Most of the airline adapters work on empower or the cigar lighter size connector anyway ( my Lind has empower inside the conventional plug) so who cares who uses what?
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Thanks again. One last question, would there be any reason not to get this 150 watt APC model for roughly the same price? Just wondering if it would be a better longterm purchase as my 700m is over two years old and I have no idea whether most new laptops require more than 75 watts.
If you try to draw more than 75W from the seat outlet it will shut down. This type of inverter is OK for a car as it can handle a higher draw but will not work with an airline seatpower outlet for a laptop that will need more than 75W. I have seen an APC inverter with a Dell cycle the breaker off and on in an AA seat. Forget it.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:47 pm

If you try to draw more than 75W from the seat outlet it will shut down. This type of inverter is OK for a car as it can handle a higher draw but will not work with an airline seatpower outlet for a laptop that will need more than 75W. I have seen an APC inverter with a Dell cycle the breaker off and on in an AA seat. Forget it.
Thanks for the info...guess that's a good reason not to go with the 150W.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:07 am

Note if you DO want to use one in a car the ones from auto parts stores cost a lot less than the ones from Targus etc., I can get one here for 400W for about $40. Best tip is to try to get a Lind and if they don't make it then it is usually becuase they know it cannot work in an aircraft.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:22 am

Note if you DO want to use one in a car the ones from auto parts stores cost a lot less than the ones from Targus etc., I can get one here for 400W for about $40. Best tip is to try to get a Lind and if they don't make it then it is usually becuase they know it cannot work in an aircraft.
I'll check out Lind (although they seem to cost a lot more)...or maybe I'll just go with the $40 75W APC. What's weird is if you go to the APC site the description for their 150W model says "150 watt DC to AC inverter with airline adapter, 120V." Kind of strange that they claim it airline compatible if it won't work on a plane.

Any idea what wattage most new laptops require?
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EX PLT
looking for confirmation:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

that this would work on AA with a dell laptop drawing 65.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:52 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I use an inverter from Radio Shack. It was $19 on sale. It's smaller and lighter than any Targus, Lind, etc., power cable I've ever had. Plus the one gizmo works with every electrical gadget I own.

It does not work all the time on every AA aircraft, but it gets the job done. Sometimes the computer pulls more juice than the inverter can supply. In that case, I close the computer and let 'er charge up for a while before firing it up again. I'm very happy with my cheap general-purpose Radio Shack inverter, and will not even consider going back to a $100 single-purpose technological marvel.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by spurg

That sure is a big huge gadget to lug all over the world. By comparison, mine would fit in a coffee cup.

I think most people agree Lind is the top-quality purveyor of airline power adapters. I figure if you're not gonna spring for the top, then go for the bottom rung of the ladder. That's why I choose Radio Shack.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I'll check out Lind (although they seem to cost a lot more)...or maybe I'll just go with the $40 75W APC. What's weird is if you go to the APC site the description for their 150W model says "150 watt DC to AC inverter with airline adapter, 120V." Kind of strange that they claim it airline compatible if it won't work on a plane.

Any idea what wattage most new laptops require?
Lind quality and build, and the size is worth it. A hard sell that idea, on this site, mind you. Given the value of $10 let alone $70.

The APC will work on a plane if you don't try to draw more than the outlet provides. You can connect a 1200 W inverter as well. It draws virtually nil without a load. Add a load over 75W and the outlet shuts down. In a car or truck hooked to a battery, you could power a TV set.

Every laptop is different though Dell seem to exceed the 75W a lot. Not charging the battery and running it will often exceed the limit while charging only won't. The new Apple cord goes the other way, it will run but doesn't charge at all while in flight, so you can work but the battery stays at its existing charge level.

Read the power brick - DC Volts X Amps = DC Watts. My Toshiba says 15V DV 5 A, so it is 75W. That is the DC output. The AC part though is 120V at 1.5 A, or 180VA, which is 128 AC watts, ergo it would likely trip the seat breaker. Actually it would exceed the load capacity of a 75W inverter too, by 50%, which in turn would force the inverter to try to draw more current and thus the seat would break and the inverter may too. Whereas a LIND adapter would work ( and there is one for it).

Last edited by ricktoronto; Feb 18, 2007 at 11:07 am
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:11 am

Lind quality and build, and the size is worth it. A hard sell that idea, on this site, mind you. Given the value of $10 let alone $70.

The APC will work on a plane if you don't try to draw more than the outlet provides. You can connect a 1200 W inverter as well. It draws virtually nil without a load. Add a load over 75W and the outlet shuts down. In a car or truck hooked to a battery, you could power a TV set.

Every laptop is different though Dell seem to exceed the 75W a lot. Not charging the battery and running it will often exceed the limit while charging only won't. The new Apple cord goes the other way, it will run but doesn't charge at all while in flight, so you can work but the battery stays at its existing charge level.

Read the power brick - DC Volts X Amps = DC Watts. My Toshiba says 15V DV 5 A, so it is 75W. That is the DC output. The AC part though is 120V at 1.5 A, or 180VA, which is 128 AC watts, ergo it would likely trip the seat breaker.
Thanks again. Personally I don't have a problem spending the extra coin to get quality, but my concern is buying something that won't work with my next laptop. Lind seems to be the way to go, but unless I'm mistaken their units appear to be specific to a particular brand or even several models of a brand. So the appeal of the cheaper, but larger APC is that I can use any 75W laptop with it. Since I travel infrequently on long airplane flights, I'd prefer to go with something that will last me through several laptops.

As far as laptops going over 75W, I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the video card. Laptops with integrated video (like the 700m) probably consume a lot less power than those that have an actual ATI or NVidia mobile video cards on board.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by spurg

I had a Dell (a couple actually) and this exact adapter and it shut down. Actually the adapter shut down not the seat so it seems to draw too much on the input side.

Check here: Any they sell with the plane logo will work with a Dell so you can figure out which Dell draw under 75W.

http://www.lindelectronics.com/cgi-b...ucts?industry=

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.