Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:13 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
In the immortal words of Bon Jovi "we're half way there..."

Cheers.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

When AA finally orders 787s, will all of Y have power ports?
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:27 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by dayone
When AA finally orders 787s, will all of Y have power ports?
WHY?

The Dreamliner is designed to be ultra-efficient squeezing every ounce of weight out the airplane possible.

You think that PowerPorts and their associated wiring are weight-free?

I suspect AA will do similar to the 777 and equip specific seats with PPs.

OK OK .. IFE requires cabling and power (and weight) and it will be in every seat.... so why not PowerPorts? I'm assuming the cabling requirement for the IFE would be alot less than the 125W power our hog PCs are wanting lately.

Hey .. novel idea .. maybe AA will charge extra for PP seats (like NW does/did for aisle and exit row seats). Or perhaps (adding more weight) a credit card reader for the PPs in the seats ($5 per flight for 75W and $10 per flight for 120W).
Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
If the car jumps, and it actually leaves the ground, and it's really in the air, and if you're inside it, so you're a passenger, do you get a minimum of 500 miles?
Only if the car is sold with an AA flight number. Lower minima may apply to cars sold with partner flight numbers.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
deleted

sam
Old Feb 18, 2007, 3:28 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sam - DFW

i use a Targa adapter for my dell latitude. ...

...it constantly cuts out. i?

Sure your not thinking of a Targus? Or is the Targa the cheap knock-off?

I have a targus and it will cut out if the adapter gets too hot.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Yes, the reason is that Targa produced faulty converters and there has been a national recall after several laptops exploded (not on planes though).

Don't know if they still do it, but 9 months ago, I got a full refund from them via their website.

You may want to check that out...
Old May 23, 2007, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Laptop power options onboard AA

I searched here for verification but found none.

I have never brought a laptop on board before but I was under the assumption that with the right power supply, I could plug into the dc outlet and gain power from there. Isn't that correct?

aa.com states:
Powerports
Your seat may be equipped with a DC power outlet. American uses a "cigarette lighter" style outlet delivering 15 volts of direct current. On most aircraft*, a power outlet is available at each seat in First and Business class, as well as selected rows in the Coach cabin. Outlets may be used to operate laptop computers, CD/DVD players, charging cellphone and other devices with a maximum 75-watt capacity. Outlets are located on your seat console, or mounted to the seat frame below your seat cushion. Look for the "lightning bolt" symbol on the overhead bin rows containing powerport-equipped seats. For detailed powerport locations by aircraft type, visit the Our Planes section on AA.com. This information can also be found in the AA Timetable.

DC auto/air power adapter cords can be purchased at most electronics stores or through power cord manufacturers. Keep in mind that power adapter cords are device (laptop or DVD) and model specific. Splitter or Y adaptor cords may not be used. Only one device is allowed per outlet.

So it should be pretty simple and painfree, right? What is your experience?
Old May 23, 2007, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
My experience is not pain free...

6 months ago I asked this same question on this board. Got flamed for not doing a search.

Bought a product that did not work. Returned it to Best Buy. Thought about buying another one....

Ultimately, gave up trying to charge my laptop on the flight.

Instead, bought a bigger battery that last 4-6 hours and charge it up in the AC before the flight...

My guess (hope) is that the cigarette style power ports are headed for extinction but someone else on this board will have something to say about that too.

Good luck.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by the phoenix
I searched here for verification but found none.
This has actually been discussed at length here several times over the last couple of years. The search terms "laptop" and "powerport" brought up numerous threads with many of your questions addressed.

I have never brought a laptop on board before but I was under the assumption that with the right power supply, I could plug into the dc outlet and gain power from there. Isn't that correct?
correct

aa.com states...charging cellphone and other devices with a maximum 75-watt capacity.
My MacBookPro normally draws 85 watts. It does not charge onboard but it will run indefinitely from an AA powerport--or least from FRA to ORD--without running down the battery.

Yes. IME, simple and pain free. Check SeatGuru to determine if your seat is supposed to have a powerport.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by the phoenix
I've had no problems with two different laptops that both draw 65 watts. It seems like most of the complaints I read about, both on the AA and Travel Technology forum here on FT, relate to laptops that draw more than the 75 watts AA provides. Do you know what your laptop needs?
Old May 23, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My experience has been pretty decent. I got an Apple magsafe adapter as door prize, and have never had problems using it on an AA flight.

Some notes:
  • Definitely check the wattage of the adapter not just the laptop (i.e., I had a 90-watt cigarette-lighter style inverter that won't work.)
  • MacBooks / MacBook Pros will not charge off of the onboard power supply (but they also will not drain the laptop's batter). I think this is true for some other laptops as well.
  • SeatGuru's maps are very useful if you are planning on using the power supply. If you're on a 757, do charge in the airport just in case you get stuck on one of the ex-TWA birds (learned that the hard way).
Old May 23, 2007, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
AA is better than most when it comes to power ports.

As tom911 and logicalrealist suggest, the power consumption of your laptop is important.

Also, you might want to look at a power supply such as the Kensington Anywhere adapter, which can power your laptop from AC or mobile/aircraft power by just carrying one power supply (if there is a tip made for your laptop.)

There's a recent discussion of the Kensington in the Travel Technology forum.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:17 pm

I'll throw my 2¢ in here: I'd strongly discourage trying to use an inverter to power the laptop during the flight. The power losses from the dc to ac and then back to dc conversion will really eat into your 75 watt max. Definitely try to find a dc to dc adapter designed to work with your laptop.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Also, check on AA or Seatguru to double check your assigned seat has a power port. Not all do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.