Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by spurg
. Sorry to ask the obvious but--what should i buy for a 5 cel dell laptop that will work?
I have a Dell 700m that draws 65 watts and use an APC inverter that I picked up at CompUSA a few years ago for about $50. As my battery will go 4-5 hours, about the only time I use it now is for long haul flights to Europe (destined there in the a.m. and have it along). I used it for a Toshiba the first two years, and the last two years with the Dell, and never a problem. I did a quick search and here's a link to see what it looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-Auto-Power.../dp/B00006BBI8

Most of the problem posts we've seen about AA power ports seem to relate to laptops that draw more than 75 watts. Have you checked to see what your Dell needs?

Tom in San Francisco tonight
Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:36 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
While I doubt that AA would 'guarantee' that it would work on YOUR laptop, Duty Free on 777s have an adapter that I have seen work.

It is like $95 I think ....

And is a cigarette adapter for the plugs on the plane and then has several 110 'style' adapters on the transformer (for US 100 and several 220 style plugs).

The gent next to me threw a fit that he needed one immediately from the FA and she had to get the DF cart out early and all .. then he could not figure out how to plug it in .. but it DID work. He happlily watched his DVDs the rest of the flight.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by spurg
so i bought a cigarette style adapter from best buy, it did not work on the last 2 flights. I didn't want to start a new thread. i never see anyone using the ports to ask. Sorry to ask the obvious but--what should i buy for a 5 cel dell laptop that will work?
I would suggest a proper airline adapter for a Dell vs. something from Best Buy next time. Some, in fact many Dells are demanding more power than the seat can deliver so there may be nothing to use in which case a spare battery is the idea.

Best idea go to www.lindelectronics.com, they make the best and safest adapters in the world (and the smallest ones too) and if they won't sell one for your model, then it is because you cannot use one. On any airline.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Nothing else to follow, Tom 911 said it all. (Now watch this go to 120 posts)
Then why did YOU post if there was nothing else?

That probably explains your 8,000 post count but then THAT probably has already been discussed as well.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EX PLT
bought one. thank you for the link!

Originally Posted by tom911
I have a Dell 700m that draws 65 watts and use an APC inverter that I picked up at CompUSA a few years ago for about $50. As my battery will go 4-5 hours, about the only time I use it now is for long haul flights to Europe (destined there in the a.m. and have it along). I used it for a Toshiba the first two years, and the last two years with the Dell, and never a problem. I did a quick search and here's a link to see what it looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-Auto-Power.../dp/B00006BBI8

Most of the problem posts we've seen about AA power ports seem to relate to laptops that draw more than 75 watts. Have you checked to see what your Dell needs?

Tom in San Francisco tonight
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
And the advantage of a Dell adapter is that if your laptop gets fried, the adapter is considered part of your computer for the purposes of your computer's original warranty.

Originally Posted by pkerr

That probably explains your 8,000 post count but then THAT probably has already been discussed as well.
Responding with a remark about post count... creative.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:43 am

Your opinion is really important to me, but either your math or reading skills are lacking in terms of being unable to determine the lack of sameness between 3,700 to 8,000 but thanks. Can you lend me $3,700? (80 100's please).
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:49 am

Your opinion is really important to me, but either your math or reading skills are lacking in terms of being unable to determine the lack of sameness between 3,700 to 8,000 but thanks. Can you lend me $3,700? (80 100's please).
It must be important since you did reply...
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:01 pm

Working on getting to those 97 more posts actually.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What about the apple magsafe airline adaptor? will that work?
I am flying tomorrow, LAX-NRT.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:04 pm

Working on getting to those 97 more posts actually.
Good for you... a noble goal.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I agree... better than your 0.27 daily high quality post average...
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I agree... better than your 0.27 daily high quality post average...
I didn't know post count / avg / quality was requirement for this forum. At least it doesn't seem that way from some of the posts in THIS thread.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I didn't know post count / avg / quality was requirement for this forum. At least it doesn't seem that way from some of the posts in THIS thread.
Have you not read the Wiki on this topic? It clearly states that you have to have high daily post and quality co-efficient to be taken seriously. Also, your base location severely figures into this.

On second thought.. I think you can only access the Wiki with over 500 posts...
Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Have you not read the Wiki on this topic? It clearly states that you have to have high daily post and quality co-efficient to be taken seriously. Also, your base location severely figures into this.

On second thought.. I think you can only access the Wiki with over 500 posts...
Now THAT I would believe...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.