Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lance1713
I just had an experience similar to the original post with my power adapter. Flying ORD-DEL on a 777 the power adapter (mine's a Targus) would only work for about 10 seconds at a time. HOWEVER, on the return DEL-ORD on another (or perhaps the same) 777 in a different seat, the in-seat power worked flawlessly the entire flight. It also worked fine on my connecting SAN-ORD and ORD-SAN MD-80 connecting flights.

Leads me to believe there was something wrong with the in-seat power on that one flight. Does anyone have a similar experience, and if so, know what to do about it?
I had a similar experiences with Targus adapter connected to an HP nc6230 laptop. My workaround was to DISABLE the built-in LAN adaper on the laptop. Once I did that the Targus worked perfectly every time.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM, Starwood Gold
I had the same problem

I had a similar problem with my Sony Vaio. It drew more power than the AA power port could provide. the icon continually flashed back and forth between charging and draining the battery. Not good, particularly since it seemed to do more draining than charging.

Another FTer gave me the perfect solution. Since all I needed to do was run the computer, I removed the battery!

With the battery out, the system provided more than enough current to operate the laptop and let me watch movies, work on documents, etc.

As long as I started the trip with a charged battery, I did not need to charge it in flight. This solution has worked for me every time! ^

Bob
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:23 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Mr. Bob
Another FTer gave me the perfect solution. Since all I needed to do was run the computer, I removed the battery!

With the battery out, the system provided more than enough current to operate the laptop and let me watch movies, work on documents, etc.
Definitely works - the only thing you have to watch out for is if they turn the powerports off, like at the end of the flight, your computer goes down IMMEDIATELY - save often!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT; 1MM
Originally Posted by JoeTGarcia
Since my beloved Macbook Pro got zonked by a virus (didn't think Macs were vulnerable to viruses), I switched to a Toshiba as a backup.
Having worked for Apple myself until recently, this is a first for me. Are you really serious that your Apple got a virus in the Mac OS? Not to turn this forum into a tech support center, but I've never heard of this. The only explanation I can think of is that you are possibly referring to a virus you got running Windows on your Mac, in which case buying a Toshiba running Windows will not make you any safer. And in which case your MacBook Pro would be unaffected and running fine on the Mac OSX side. Please explain and identify the name of the virus if you can!!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Which rows have seat power at the rear of a 777?

On day flights I prefer to sit at the rear of a 777 to have a view out of the window, but usually I also want to work. But the location of the power ports is not in the rows shown on the seat maps. Last time I was in 38J which is shown on the aa.com seat map as having a power port, but the power port was actually in 37H/J. I could also see from the "lightning" signs that in the center rows power was in rows 33, 36 and 38, whereas the seat maps show it in rows 34, 37 and 39.

Power ports are shown in identical locations for both configurations in both the aa.com maps and seatguru maps (except that seatguru shows power in 34 A/B and H/J rather than 35 as shown on aa.com).

I emailed Web Services a couple of weeks ago about the discrepancy, and received a polite reply:
Thank you for your interest in American Airlines. We want to respond to
you, our AAdvantage Executive Platinum customer first.

We appreciate you taking the time to write to us at American Airlines
and for letting us know about the incorrect content on AA.com. We try
to keep this information current, but obviously didn't meet our
objective here.

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused and have requested an
update to this page.

On behalf of American Airlines, I want to thank you for your continued
patronage. Please know that we are working hard to make AA.com
everything you would expect it to be and more.
But no changes to the seat maps yet.

How long have the maps been wrong? ebuck noted a similar problem in July, but maybe most FTers with status don't notice it because they go for the exit rows?

Last edited by nbevan; Oct 28, 2007 at 11:01 am Reason: clarification
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
I would look at Seatguru. Seems like power ports are few and far between after row 28.

http://www.seatguru.com/

I'm sorry, I didn't notice that you had already looked there. My experience is that their maps are extremely reliable.

Last edited by jpmcdonough; Oct 28, 2007 at 10:41 am Reason: Didn't notice he had already checked the site
Old Nov 1, 2007, 9:36 pm

Do AA 767 and 777 J pax still get empower to cigarette lighter DC power adaptors?

I am the unfortunate owner of a short-battery-life laptop, which I am overdue to replace. I make do thanks to a DC power adaptor, which I use with airline-supplied Empower ports. I've recently been flying long-haul segments on Empower-equipped or AC-power-equipped planes, so this has worked fine.

I suddenly have two upcoming long-haul segments on AA -- one 777 J, one 767 NGBC. AA of course offers cigarette-style power ports rather than Empower. And sadly my Empower-cigarette port adaptor is nowhere to be found.

On a prior trip, when I forgot that adaptor, I was thrilled to find that each AA-issued J DVD player came with a Empower-to-cigarette adaptor attached to the DC power cable. Is that still the case? If so, I'm all set -- I can borrow AA's power adaptor. If not, I will need to find a replacement adaptor -- better to learn that now than later, I suppose. Anyone know what I can expect?
Old Nov 1, 2007, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG, National Exec
Originally Posted by bedelman
I am the unfortunate owner of a short-battery-life laptop, which I am overdue to replace. I make do thanks to a DC power adaptor, which I use with airline-supplied Empower ports. I've recently been flying long-haul segments on Empower-equipped or AC-power-equipped planes, so this has worked fine.

I suddenly have two upcoming long-haul segments on AA -- one 777 J, one 767 NGBC. AA of course offers cigarette-style power ports rather than Empower. And sadly my Empower-cigarette port adaptor is nowhere to be found.

On a prior trip, when I forgot that adaptor, I was thrilled to find that each AA-issued J DVD player came with a Empower-to-cigarette adaptor attached to the DC power cable. Is that still the case? If so, I'm all set -- I can borrow AA's power adaptor. If not, I will need to find a replacement adaptor -- better to learn that now than later, I suppose. Anyone know what I can expect?
I am not sure what the answer is for the NGBC 763 since I have not been in int'l J in one yet, but the 777 in J does not provide you with a DVD player, so you will need to get your own power adapter for that flight.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:34 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
A cheap inverter (which changes cigarette lighter power to wall-socket power) can be bought for as little as $25 at Wal-Mart. It's a good way to solve this one-time problem. It's also cheap insurance just in case other solutions fall through.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by sinner7
the 777 in J does not provide you with a DVD player, so you will need to get your own power adapter for that flight.
D'oh! Of course. Thanks for setting me straight. Long time since I did a long-haul on AA 777 J...
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:06 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
AA duty free catalog offers two power adapters that work on the airplane.

One is a Cig>110 power plug adapter (also has holes for other power configurations). Tho I think that one is about $100. I think there is a cheaper version tho not certain.

Either wait until the flight and try the 763 adapter or if on 777 buy one now or wait and get gouged with duty free.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gemac
You might have better luck with this question (which has no reference to AA at all) in the Travel Technology forum.
Thanks. I need to get off my butt and order one already.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gemac
You might have better luck with this question (which has no reference to AA at all) in the Travel Technology forum.
Thanks. I need to get off my butt and order one already.

I'm looking at this one but it doesn't specify that it "works with airline seatback systems"...whatever that means.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1 MM
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
115 to go.

To include:

No GPS either
Just helping out here. Are GPS not allowed? Or just can't be plugged in? I wanted to test the "elevation" feature on the one I just bought.

Trevor
Old Dec 19, 2007, 1:13 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by tbone1737
Just helping out here. Are GPS not allowed? Or just can't be plugged in? I wanted to test the "elevation" feature on the one I just bought.
They're not allowed. They "might" interfere with the plane's navigation system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.