Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Down the line when the US Airways name is gone I can see crews making announcments (IE CO and UA) your US Airways crews welcomes you to flight---
and thanks for flying US Airways.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
I just took SJC-PHX in F on US Air today and no PDBs were offered. Double pass with the snack basket, though.
There's is always the exception. Sometimes I have even had a PDB full bar choice on AA. ^

YMMV I guess (Maybe the FA's are practicing for AA).

And the offerings were basically anything normally available in-flight such Hot coffee, Bloody Mary, Beer, Sodas ... not just a tray being offered with Ice water/Juice as frequently happens on AA.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 17, 2013 at 6:05 pm
Old Feb 17, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I'd actually take ORD over PHL. In fact I rather like ORD. May be in the minority though
+1 about ORD. All AA flights in one main, relatively-compact terminal (vs DFW or JFK). Best Flagship Lounge in the program (IMHO). Plus Vosges chocolate boutique (Great gifts for Mrs. Planner)...
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:08 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Ritz
Not if you live closer to it than to EWR and JFK. Not if it sees an increase in transcon and trsnaatlantic availability. And not if you enjoy the early morning flights out with virtually no lines/congestion in the AA portion of the terminal, and not if you like to pop in to a quite usually empty BA club lounge at that early time of the day.

+1 I love the BA lounge.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by terminator33
Upgrades for lower level elites will become all but non-existent as the AA institutes a new Tens of Dollars upgrade system similar to COdbaUA.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
As much as I'm not going to like these personally, they do make business sense for the airline.
Have you seen the latest revenue numbers for UA? The Tens of Dollars upgrade offers have not made business sense for the airline. It drove away elite customers in droves and the airline is losing money. Short term greed does not equal long term profit.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Upgrades for lower level elites will become all but non-existent as the AA institutes a new Tens of Dollars upgrade system similar to COdbaUA.

Have you seen the latest revenue numbers for UA? The Tens of Dollars upgrade offers have not made business sense for the airline. It drove away elite customers in droves and the airline is losing money. Short term greed does not equal long term profit.
I think UA's problems have less to do with the TOD upgrades and more to do with the operational meltdown.

DL didn't seem to suffer much leakage when they decimated SM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
DL didn't seem to suffer much leakage when they decimated SM.
Which time? My hunch is they just started bleeding from the recently announced changes.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Which time? My hunch is they just started bleeding from the recently announced changes.
Post NW merger
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
What's even more shocking is that 26% of voters think that this merger is a good thing.
This is just going to mean higher fares and less award availability
Sorry to say but there is more than award avilability to think about when deciding if a merger is good idea.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:22 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Sorry to say but there is more than award availability to think about when deciding if a merger is good idea.
Not in the eyes of the over-entitled types that most of us are on FT.

I'm part of the group that thinks that it will create a stronger airline in the end, and we all saw this coming after the last merger of UA/CO was made official. It was only natural that US and AA would tie up because they were the last two major airlines that hadn't done a merger.

Things could have been worse. What if the UA/US merger had gone through, and AA frequent flyers were stuck with the inevitable AA/CO merger with SMI/J at the helm. A scary alternate reality. Possible Slogan: "Hey, at least we're #1 in the Texas market"

Being serious though, if this creates a more sustainable operating model for AA, then I'm for it. I fully expect the frequent flyer program to get retooled in some ways that we here on FT won't be happy about, but it's happening to every frequent flyer program. You didn't expect the $99++ o/w DEQM + BOS3X LAX-BOS or $99++ o/w TEQM ORD-SFO deals to last forever.

Personally, I'm still taking a wait-and-see approach until I get more information to make a rational decision about whether or not to stick with AAdvantage. I've been given no reason to switch at this point, but it isn't going to stop 1000 more posts on this thread from the Chicken Littles. It has made fun reading material though.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:57 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by JDiver
Many do not like change, so groaning will be common, even if most of us have no clue what we're groaning about because the FFP details won't be apparent for quite some time yet.
Thanks as usual to JDiver for keeping things in perspective
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Sorry to say but there is more than award avilability to think about when deciding if a merger is good idea.
So more miles chasing less OW capacity means more seats???
Please explain.
(I REFUSE to fly AA TPAC if on an award. If I'm going to use my AA miles to travel TPAC I will fly JL or CX only. Plus, the merger adds ZERO TPAC capacity. TATL you might have a valid point, especially to TLV though if they decide to keep that route, but even then I still think connections on BA/IB will be harder to get. Even RJ through AMM isn't the easiest to get.)
Talk to some of the CX agents in HKG and see what they think of AA customers-it will only get worse.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:45 am

Smile

Originally Posted by Stripe
That's what DL said when they acquired NW. The reality was almost exactly the opposite.

I suspect the AA employees will have many opportunities to regret their decision to jump into bed with Parker and US.

All upgrades on AA are electronic. And upgrade rates fall after every merger, especially in the mid-tier. With relatively few overlapping routes, you simply increase the number of elites chasing after the same F seats. Especially with AA minting many new EXPs in prior months, through generous EQM bonuses and outright gifts. Finally, after the merger DL had some nice hubs that were reasonably sized and great for connections: CVG and MEM. Both are rapidly fading away.
As a current US Chairman preferred level flyer, I have come over to the AA boards a bit lately to check the pulse, see what concerns are, and get an idea of potentially what to expect. Its probably been 10 years since I was last on AA metal. Between US/United/CO etc star alliance haven't needed or wanted to stray and not receive PQM's for a flight. So I really only remember my experience years ago on AA.

On US, i pretty much get upgrade to first 100% of the time unless on a regional without first class. Things have changed at US and its been pretty efficient. They finally!!! got the preferred boarding lanes/carpet that you have had for years. Believe me I complained so much about this!

So I have no idea what will happen. I am hoping the new program will include unlimited upgrades for all elite tiers. Currently upgrades are prioritized by elite level, miles flown within the elite level, and so on. We simply get an email telling us we got upgraded when our window starts or when we get upgrades if not released to us at the start of our window.

My other thought is around the competition for upgrades..As someone who flies out of Phoenix, I don't think I will be competing against AA ex platinums as we tend to fly whoever is hub-ed. So A dallas based AA pref wouldn't see many US elites...

speculation should get interesting
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I like PHL myself, I found it tidy and easy to get in and out of, easier than EWR, and some stellar deals. I also found that I rather liked PHL then, but the roads were a bit crazy
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
What's even more shocking is that 26% of voters think that this merger is a good thing.
This is just going to mean higher fares and less award availability
Some people get duped. I was a CO elite who was cautiously optimistic on the UA/CO merger, and we saw how that went!! The recent history of mergers is a history of customers getting screwed, in ff programs and in fares. With Parker at the wheel, the odds of it being any different this time are slim and none.

What is really shocking is the dolts at the US DOJ colluding on turning the airline industry into an oligopoly to the great detriment of passengers. At least the European Commission knows how to say ''NO'' to airline takeovers. The DOJ is rubberstamping the elimination of real competition in the airline industry. That is disgusting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.