Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by tom911
No.

That's just not going to happen at AA, particularly on transcons. You'd be competing with too many EXPs to give you a 100% clearance rate, plus you'd need upgrade instruments.

So will AA be your choice of carrier when US disappears? If not, who will be your primary carrier? I'm quite happy with the AA model after 12 years at EXP and can't think of going anywhere else.

Don't you get 50% bonus miles at midtier at US? Wouldn't you prefer 100% at AA?

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Tom at JFK Europe bound
I'd be surprised if the 100% mid-tier bonus remains for the long-term, though.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I believe that the combined slots to be held by the new AA will be sufficient for its needs. It's hard to say that either airline is using its current slots in the most efficient manner.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's only a poor move if you assume that being an airline CEO gives you complete clairvoyance into the future. Remember, this was originally proposed in August 2009- you're seriously arguing that Doug Parker should have known back in 2009 that in February 2013 he'd be in charge of a combined US+AA entity, so he should have rejected that deal because he should have known that AA+US in strong positions at LGA and DCA was inevitable, even though it was apparently in US's best interest as a standalone entity at the time to do that deal? I'd say that's a bit of a ridiculous standard to hold an airline CEO to.
No one is expecting clairvoyance. I think the comments from FWAAA clearly express that in retrospect Parker made a poor deal when swapping with DL. Of course we now know that had Parker not executed the swap with DL, he would have ended up with dominance at LGA while continuing dominance at DCA. The terminal situation would be great at LGA since prior to swapping with DL, US had all of Terminal C which could easily manage the combined carrier's flights. At DCA, US was already using a couple of gates for Embraer 170/175s on the same concourse with AA. Generally hind sight is 20/20

Last edited by ksweeney; Feb 16, 2013 at 6:18 pm
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
This is good news as YOW/YUL are better served and YEG can finally be reached with OW miles without using AS on a DH3 (though I might be wrong on the equipment as I have seen a CRJ on it before too.)
YYC is also more conveniently served.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
This is good news as YOW/YUL are better served and YEG can finally be reached with OW miles without using AS on a DH3 (though I might be wrong on the equipment as I have seen a CRJ on it before too.)
YYC is also more conveniently served.
It's not a DH3, it's a Bombardier Q400 (AS/QX got rid of their Q200s some time ago). Close, but no cigar.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I'll trust the Bureau of Transportation Statsitics for this info.

1) United 48.37%
2) American 9.21%
3) Southwest 8.55%
The BAT SF report was directly sourced from the authority that runs SFO airport. You're claiming some federal thing has better handle of Sf's numbers than themselves ?

VX hubs at SFO, and DL serves more destinations out of SFO than AA. Guess you never question why neither is in the top 3 from numbers u quote ?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by terminator33
Upgrades for lower level elites will become all but non-existent as the AA institutes a new Tens of Dollars upgrade system similar to COdbaUA.

The ranks of EXP's will plummet as AA institutes a new revenue based requirement in addition to mileage to obtain any level of status, as was just done by Delta.
As much as I'm not going to like these personally, they do make business sense for the airline.

Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
... not what's best for the airline or its customers, but rather what's best for a few shareholders, lawyers, and beancounters. But, these days, that's all who matters...
Is this serious? It seems a refresher course in basic economics and capitalism is in order. A public company's primary responsibility is to its shareholders. It has no responsibility to its customers other than how to interact with them to best increase value for shareholders. Companies treat customers well for the shareholders. Its been that way not lately, but always. What's changed is our attitude as a nation of overinflated self importance and me only culture.
Exactly. The shareholders are the business owners.

Originally Posted by Rfharris
With Singapore Airlines, Lufthansa, Turkish Air, Swiss Air, SAS, etc. all rated better than US Carriers and Air Canada is not bad either.
As another poster has noted, try getting an F award on Singapore or Swiss recently? And when you can get them, they're not cheap.

Originally Posted by Rfharris
On that trip I flew LH domestically to Dulles, ....
Huh?

Originally Posted by MetricFlyer
Elite member should be required to wear pins on their collars to identify their status. (like the Federation uniform)

5 gold dots = 10 million miler
4 gold dots = million miler
3 gold dots = Executive Platinum
2 gold dots = Platinum
1 gold dots = Gold

That ought to make it easier during the boarding process and meal service.
... and bring DYKWIA to a whole new level!!

Originally Posted by Consultette
Asked a flight attendant ... and they went into how great it is that AA leadership is fired.
When was the last time that APFA liked an AA management team? I'm 100% confident that it is only a matter of time (and not a long time, at that) until APFA decides that it doesn't like the new management team, either. And the one after that. And the one after that....
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I'd be surprised if the 100% mid-tier bonus remains for the long-term, though.
We'll have to wait and see. AA does say they're picking up the strongest attributes of both programs, and that 100% bonus at AA is certainly stronger than the 50% at US. Also factor in lifetime benefits for Platinums already in place. What happens to them? Did US have a lifetime tier at 2MM?

Tom in the BA F lounge at LHR T5 having breakfast
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I'll trust the Bureau of Transportation Statsitics for this info.

1) United 48.37%
2) American 9.21%
3) Southwest 8.55%
What month do those cover and what do the numbers represent?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

When was the last time that APFA liked an AA management team? I'm 100% confident that it is only a matter of time (and not a long time, at that) until APFA decides that it doesn't like the new management team, either. And the one after that. And the one after that....
That was the attitude of the FA's on my flights Friday - at least until they heard that US Air policy is to serve PDB's....they weren't happy about that.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
We'll have to wait and see. AA does say they're picking up the strongest attributes of both programs, and that 100% bonus at AA is certainly stronger than the 50% at US. Also factor in lifetime benefits for Platinums already in place. What happens to them? Did US have a lifetime tier at 2MM?

Tom in the BA F lounge at LHR T5 having breakfast
Do you enjoy champagne with your breakfast there?

Enjoy the trip.

By the way, for those grousing about OneWorld over Star, having been a 1K and an EXP for a lot of years I really prefer OneWorld. BA has been great to me and I like Cathay and QF a lot as well. In fact I chose PE on QF for a round rip to MEL over playing the upgrade game on UA and was really glad I did. It is a fantastic product. Being able to access first class lounges rather than business class is a huge benefit. Also BA has operationally upgraded me one 2 of my 3 long haul segments from PE to J (LHR - BOM and PVG - LHR).
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer
That was the attitude of the FA's on my flights Friday - at least until they heard that US Air policy is to serve PDB's....they weren't happy about that.
What is a PDB?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Simple

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
What is a PDB?
PDB = PRE Departure Beverage.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by MetricFlyer
Elite member should be required to wear pins on their collars
to identify their status. (like the Federation uniform)

5 gold dots = 10 million miler
4 gold dots = million miler
3 gold dots = Executive Platinum
2 gold dots = Platinum
1 gold dots = Gold

That out to make it easier during the boarding process and meal service.
Also, division colors, like in TOS:
Gold shirt = Self-employed self-paying for business travel
Blue shirt = Leisure travelers self-paying for discovery travel
Red shirt = Employed traveling on company's latinum, expendable.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
We'll have to wait and see. AA does say they're picking up the strongest attributes of both programs, and that 100% bonus at AA is certainly stronger than the 50% at US.
That's what DL said when they acquired NW. The reality was almost exactly the opposite.

Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer
I suspect the AA employees will have many opportunities to regret their decision to jump into bed with Parker and US.

Originally Posted by CatotheCat
It has been funny watching all of the groaning about USAirways in this thread. Have you flown them lately? The criticisms sound circa 2001. Doesn't AA still use absurd paper coupons for upgrades? US got rid of that a decade ago. If you are mid-tier on US, you ride up front nearly every flight. I haven't sat in coach but once out of probably 50 segments. I flew 120 segments last year on AA, UA and US and by far, the AA product was the most pathetic experience on a plane I've had in years. Delays, surly FA, gate changes after gate changes at DFW. Out of 105 US segments I had exactly one delay and one cancellation.

ORD is among the worst experiences in all of aviation. CLT and DCA, among the best. Granted, PHL is no fun, but neither is DFW.

My point is all this moaning and groaning about US is probably from people who have not set foot on a Parker managed airplane. You better hope that the US model becomes the AA model, because it means: On time, limitless upgrades, low fares and clean planes.
All upgrades on AA are electronic. And upgrade rates fall after every merger, especially in the mid-tier. With relatively few overlapping routes, you simply increase the number of elites chasing after the same F seats. Especially with AA minting many new EXPs in prior months, through generous EQM bonuses and outright gifts. Finally, after the merger DL had some nice hubs that were reasonably sized and great for connections: CVG and MEM. Both are rapidly fading away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.