Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Sorry to say but there is more than award avilability to think about when deciding if a merger is good idea.
Absolutely. . .like decimated real competition and jacking up fares.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:26 am

All of these mergers are anti-competitive and that is ultimately going to bite consumers in the butt in a lot of ways.

But if mergers had to happen, it would have been best for US to take over DL, and put the two airlines most inclined to race to the bottom together.

NW and CO, under NW leadership would have resulted in a customer-friendly airline. Then let UA and AA stay independent.

But it would have been far better for customers if no mergers at all had happened.

Originally Posted by Majuki
Not in the eyes of the over-entitled types that most of us are on FT.

I'm part of the group that thinks that it will create a stronger airline in the end, and we all saw this coming after the last merger of UA/CO was made official. It was only natural that US and AA would tie up because they were the last two major airlines that hadn't done a merger.

Things could have been worse. What if the UA/US merger had gone through, and AA frequent flyers were stuck with the inevitable AA/CO merger with SMI/J at the helm. A scary alternate reality. Possible Slogan: "Hey, at least we're #1 in the Texas market"

Being serious though, if this creates a more sustainable operating model for AA, then I'm for it. I fully expect the frequent flyer program to get retooled in some ways that we here on FT won't be happy about, but it's happening to every frequent flyer program. You didn't expect the $99++ o/w DEQM + BOS3X LAX-BOS or $99++ o/w TEQM ORD-SFO deals to last forever.

Personally, I'm still taking a wait-and-see approach until I get more information to make a rational decision about whether or not to stick with AAdvantage. I've been given no reason to switch at this point, but it isn't going to stop 1000 more posts on this thread from the Chicken Littles. It has made fun reading material though.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Carolinian
All of these mergers...
...happened and are a done deal. The US/AA one will likely happen too. So instead of complaining about how hypothetical scenarios didn't come to pass, focus on waiting until more facts become known then make the determination of whether or not to take your business elsewhere.

Face it, merger or not, frequent flyer programs will continue to be devalued. There was talk of MileagePlus switching to a revenue model a few years ago. It didn't happen, but now SkyMiles will be the first US program to have a revenue component for maintaining status. Don't be surprised if MileagePlus and AAdvantage, merger or no merger, follow this example DL has set.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
But it would have been far better for customers if no mergers at all had happened.
How would liquidation of bankrupt airlines benefit customers, given that in many of these merger scenarios, we are discussing airlines that either needed to merge or die?

Airlines in the 21st century are highly capital-intensive, and we can see that an airline with lots of customer love like VX is having problems getting to black ink. So how are airlines with pension plans, retired employees and so on supposed to survive selling products below cost, along with buying or leasing airplanes and the other costs of being an airline? Make it all up on volume? Shouldn't customers be paying the real costs of doing business? Is it fair that airlines should treat a customer who gives them $2000 of business to fly 100,000 miles better than a customer who gives them $9000 of business to fly 90,000 miles?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 60K "old miles"

Face it, merger or not, frequent flyer programs will continue to be devalued. There was talk of MileagePlus switching to a revenue model a few years ago. It didn't happen, but now SkyMiles will be the first US program to have a revenue component for maintaining status. Don't be surprised if MileagePlus and AAdvantage, merger or no merger, follow this example DL has set.
There is a lot of talk about the revenue component for maintaining status. My read of what DL has done is that they require an average of $.10 per mile in revenue from an FF to qualify for the status level. I think this is reasonable, I personally generate about $.15 per mile and would retain my Platinum status in a normal year w/o the LT qualification. People brag about getting EXP w $4,000 in expenditure but I think it is entirely reasonable that an airline would make this impossible. Much like stopping the ability to attain lifetime status by churning credit cards. AA changed this in a reasonable manner giving notice of the change.

I am not so sanguine about changes in award levels and upgrade qualification. The current levels are not unreasonable, are long established, and are not being gamed. AAL has the right to change this, no question, but it would disturb me far more than a Delta like revenue component. At some point it would change behavior but everybody knows that and we are not there yet.

What bothers me most about the merger is that the merger appears to be giving back too much of the corrections to the cost structure negotiated in bankruptcy. In addition it nullifies what appears to me to be the only reason USAir made a profit, the incredibly ( word not used lightly ) low wages paid pilots and FA's on USAir. I don't believe there isany genius in Parker beyond this. So the merger is with a long term less viable airline and so on.

My concern as an FF is another bankruptcy in a couple of years resulting from this. That imho would really destroy the value of what is now the world's largest airline for it's customers.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's only a poor move if you assume that being an airline CEO gives you complete clairvoyance into the future. Remember, this was originally proposed in August 2009- you're seriously arguing that Doug Parker should have known back in 2009 that in February 2013 he'd be in charge of a combined US+AA entity, so he should have rejected that deal because he should have known that AA+US in strong positions at LGA and DCA was inevitable, even though it was apparently in US's best interest as a standalone entity at the time to do that deal? I'd say that's a bit of a ridiculous standard to hold an airline CEO to.
About the bolded portion: IMO, you have mischaracterized my post. There's nothing in my post that argues or implies that Parker should have known in August, 2009 that he would one day take over AA. The slot swap turned out to be a poor move measured by what we know now. Whether it was a poor idea in 2009 or 2010 or early 2011 is not necessary for me to declare it, in my opinion, a poor move now.

The slot swap closed on December, 2011, after AA had filed its Ch 11 petition and numerous news sources. A better decision would have been to call off the deal (and pay any damages owed to DL resulting therefrom).

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
+1 Consider the source

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 18, 2013 at 1:36 pm Reason: redacted portion discussing moderator actions
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by mybagfits
As a current US Chairman preferred level flyer, I have come over to the AA boards a bit lately to check the pulse, see what concerns are, and get an idea of potentially what to expect. Its probably been 10 years since I was last on AA metal. Between US/United/CO etc star alliance haven't needed or wanted to stray and not receive PQM's for a flight. So I really only remember my experience years ago on AA.

On US, i pretty much get upgrade to first 100% of the time unless on a regional without first class. Things have changed at US and its been pretty efficient. They finally!!! got the preferred boarding lanes/carpet that you have had for years. Believe me I complained so much about this!

So I have no idea what will happen. I am hoping the new program will include unlimited upgrades for all elite tiers. Currently upgrades are prioritized by elite level, miles flown within the elite level, and so on. We simply get an email telling us we got upgraded when our window starts or when we get upgrades if not released to us at the start of our window.

My other thought is around the competition for upgrades..As someone who flies out of Phoenix, I don't think I will be competing against AA ex platinums as we tend to fly whoever is hub-ed. So A dallas based AA pref wouldn't see many US elites...

speculation should get interesting
Right now an EXP on AA sees those kind of upgrade rates and it happens in the same way. Lower tier are less but even as a platinum on AA I got upgraded most of the time. One thing someone else pointed out is that while AA, due to the limit on free upgrades and how many seats they keep open, frequently (almost always) have seats available in first when EXPs change flights at the last minute and since US clears more upgrades early this may not happen on the new carrier.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The slot swap closed on December, 2011, after AA had filed its Ch 11 petition and numerous news sources. A better decision would have been to call off the deal (and pay any damages owed to DL resulting therefrom).
Keeping both JFK and PHL as hubs is feasible, keeping JFK, LGA and PHL would have been too much, the new AA will have more slots at LGA than it should use/need and is probably better off with a non legacy getting the extra slots at DCA than having DL hold onto them. Plus, did LCC have the cash to pay DL anything, the cash they got from DL seemed pretty important to them?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:38 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I'll trust the Bureau of Transportation Statsitics for this info.

1) United 48.37%
2) American 9.21%
3) Southwest 8.55%
+1, this goes with what I've observed having travelled in/out of SFO over the last couple of years.

Originally Posted by ksweeney
The combined capacity of AA and US at DCA is going to be the biggest regulatory hurdle to clear. I imagine that Parker is kicking himself now for making the swap with DL at LGA for DCA slots.
Duh! But what's done is done. Can't undo the past.

Originally Posted by 787fan
The BAT SF report was directly sourced from the authority that runs SFO airport. You're claiming some federal thing has better handle of Sf's numbers than themselves ?

VX hubs at SFO, and DL serves more destinations out of SFO than AA. Guess you never question why neither is in the top 3 from numbers u quote ?
VX operates how many flights from SFO daily? With a fleet size in the low-50s, I cannot imagine that number being greater than 100.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Well, if I lived in LA I suppose I would prefer LAX as well. Personal geography really doesn't relate to the quality of the airport overall. But one of the main reasons I stopped flying US was having to connect in PHL. I think it is the worst airport I have been to outside of India. I do suspect that AA will move more international flights there, however.
+1, but don't insult Indian airports like that. I found COK and DEL to be superior to many US airports.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I'd actually take ORD over PHL. In fact I rather like ORD. May be in the minority though
Yes, you are in a minority on that one. The better airport is MDW.

Things could have been worse. What if the UA/US merger had gone through, and AA frequent flyers were stuck with the inevitable AA/CO merger with SMI/J at the helm. A scary alternate reality. Possible Slogan: "Hey, at least we're #1 in the Texas market"
I actually thought CO was great pre-UA, and totally wouldn't have mind an AA/CO tie-up. However, I prolly would've mind having to schlep to dumpy EWR to fly in/out of the city. Practically every time I've ever used EWR, I was stranded at the NJT/Amtrak station for an hr+ due to one train calamity or another.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:37 pm
Suspended

About the bolded portion: IMO, you have mischaracterized my post. There's nothing in my post that argues or implies that Parker should have known in August, 2009 that he would one day take over AA. The slot swap turned out to be a poor move measured by what we know now. Whether it was a poor idea in 2009 or 2010 or early 2011 is not necessary for me to declare it, in my opinion, a poor move now.

<redacted>

And you actually know what the penalties were @:-) so you can make your assessment, or is it just another Parker Decision Bad post?

By the way was it a bad decision by Horton to give up the 3 gates at EWR?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair enough that you're admitting that in hindsight the deal might not have been ideal- though I'd have to point out that if we assume that US was correct in saying the slot swap was in their financial best interest, and the last couple of years have been their best performing ever, that a less-profitable US with underexploited but poorly performing assets dragging down their performance might not have been as attractive a merger partner.

That could have been quite the expensive decision... and it's quite possible a messy lawsuit involving US backing out of a deal with another airline and impacting their bottom line (that presumably a merged entity would have to deal with) might also have driven off AA's creditors and unions.

Again, this is all "hindsight is 20/20" and hypothetical.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
When was the last time that APFA liked an AA management team? I'm 100% confident that it is only a matter of time (and not a long time, at that) until APFA decides that it doesn't like the new management team, either. And the one after that. And the one after that....
Agreed. My seat mate and I were more blown away by how happy they are since they obviously didn't see the writing on the wall that LOTS of heads will probably be hitting the chopping block if we were hearing what they were saying correctly.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I think I would take LUN or even DFW over PHL.
I'd fly out of ONT to DFW to NYC and take the train over going into/out of PHL if my company would let me. Only redeeming quality at that airport is the self service liquor in the AC.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
All of these mergers are anti-competitive and that is ultimately going to bite consumers in the butt in a lot of ways.

But if mergers had to happen, it would have been best for US to take over DL, and put the two airlines most inclined to race to the bottom together.

NW and CO, under NW leadership would have resulted in a customer-friendly airline. Then let UA and AA stay independent.

These types of arguments show a basic lack of understanding of how economic markets work in general, and the airline industry specifically. There were too many competitors in a capital intensive business like the airline industry and consolidation was long over due and inevitable. It's really hard to make a reasonable argument that everyone loosing money and having to go bk to stay alive really benefited consumers. 4 Strong players controlling 70% of the market domestically provides plenty of competition to keep them honest vs 10 who are all loosing money all about to go out of business.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grahampros
These types of arguments show a basic lack of understanding of how economic markets work in general, and the airline industry specifically. There were too many competitors in a capital intensive business like the airline industry and consolidation was long over due and inevitable. It's really hard to make a reasonable argument that everyone loosing money and having to go bk to stay alive really benefited consumers. 4 Strong players controlling 70% of the market domestically provides plenty of competition to keep them honest vs 10 who are all loosing money all about to go out of business.
What, you're arguing that having a bunch of airlines flying dirty beater Super 80s, DC9s and 762s held together with duct tape might not be the most consumer-friendly market? That the ability to turn a profit that includes the ability to make capital investment might be important?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.