Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:17 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Consultette
Agreed. My seat mate and I were more blown away by how happy they are since they obviously didn't see the writing on the wall that LOTS of heads will probably be hitting the chopping block if we were hearing what they were saying correctly.
No one said the APFA leaders/members were Rhodes scholars.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 60K "old miles"
Originally Posted by uxb
No one said the APFA leaders/members were Rhodes scholars.
True, but they think that in terms of running an airline they are a combination of Juan Trippe and Bob Crandall.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Which time? My hunch is they just started bleeding from the recently announced changes.
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Post NW merger
By that point they'd devalued SkyMiles so many times I think anyone left had Stockholm Syndrome...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by tom911
No.

plus you'd need upgrade instruments.

Don't you get 50% bonus miles at midtier at US? Wouldn't you prefer 100% at AA?
1. What is an AA "upgrade instrument"? On US, there are no such things. The system automatically upgrades you without any intervention, instruments, coupons, noting. Perhaps this AA "instrument" is what I am talking about, what Parker got rid of a years ago at US.

2. I don't care about bonus miles. I care about sitting in first class. I'd take zero bonus miles if the program gave me a 95% chance of riding up front, like US's program does now.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by serfty
ROFL!

I have flown dozens of first class US flights over the last year or three in my quest to maintain *G and one thing that did stand out is the 100% availability of PDB on US.^
There is NO PDB on AA? Add another reason I wouldn't be so quick to criticize US. On some US flights, there is a PDB x 2.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by CatotheCat
1. What is an AA "upgrade instrument"? On US, there are no such things...

2. I don't care about bonus miles...
Why not take some time to read the "Stickies" at the top of the page before going on a rant?
Lots of good info there just waiting for you!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:04 am

1. What is an AA "upgrade instrument"? On US, there are no such things. The system automatically upgrades you without any intervention, instruments, coupons, noting. Perhaps this AA "instrument" is what I am talking about, what Parker got rid of a years ago at US.
Perhaps its not. Perhaps since you're posting in the AA forum, you should familiarize yourself with the terminology. And perhaps you should get used to the definitions you find, since you're an "AA person" now - whether you like it or not.

On a related note, since you've clearly painted a picture of US as the super-happy-good-fun-time airline - perhaps you should confirm how well the FAs and pilots think of Parker, the miracle worker. I know when I asked a flight crew late last year about the rumors of the AA merger, the first thing they said was how ridiculously it was for anyone to lend any credence to what Parker was selling, when his own house was still in shambles from 2005.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by wolf539
Why not take some time to read the "Stickies" at the top of the page before going on a rant?
Lots of good info there just waiting for you!
The OP's criticism of AA's current system is perfectly valid if the OP isn't breaking 6 digits of flying a year on US (so they'd make it to the EXP level)- stickers let you upgrade around 20% of your flights for free (4 500 milers per 10,000 miles flown = 2,000, so 20%). If the OP is getting 95% upgrades, that's a really huge hit on their pocketbook for buying stickers if they want to stay in F... and we can dish all we want about how AA F blows the socks off of US F, but I think it's pretty safe to say that US F > AA or US Y. So AA's system really penalizes the 50K-90K US flyer who values domestic F upgrades. That's a lot of customers to **** off in a merger.

I think this is why AA is likely to go to an "unlimited upgrade" system, combined with various strategies to otherwise maximize revenue from the F cabin (paradoxically, lowering prices and taking away upgrade opportunities).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 19, 2013 at 7:50 am
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The OP's criticism of AA's system is perfectly valid...
Criticism is one thing; commenting without even a basic understanding of the system is another.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by wolf539
Criticism is one thing; commenting without even a basic understanding of the system is another.
I would say that if the OP isn't a Chairman's Preferred on US, understanding the AA system and it's eventual implementation post-merger would lead to a rant anyways- they'd lose a lot of free upgrades.

Also, if someone is mostly traveling for business and values comfort while doing so, over having the ability to cash in miles for vacations (in other words, the busman's holiday of going on ANOTHER plane trip has no appeal for them), yes, indeed, I can very much see wanting more upgrades over more miles to redeem for trips they don't really want to take.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:55 am

2. I don't care about bonus miles. I care about sitting in first class. I'd take zero bonus miles if the program gave me a 95% chance of riding up front, like US's program does now.
AA has a much higher percentage of elites that US does. Upgrades will be going down, whether its via stickers or via free upgrades for all.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP

For many EXPs, particularly those with a family, the ability to earn RDMs comes into second to elite status and upgrades. Im sure there are quite a few FTs that save a marriage by being able to turn in miles for a trip to somewhere exotic. Just like there are EXPs that travel domestically and have less use for SWUs.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:21 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
USair logo on the website this morning.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Originally Posted by terminator33
The current EXP's who love to brag on flyertalk about they manage to qualify every year for under 6K spend will be shut out in the new system and will have to find a new hobby in life.
Oh I have....Cruising, the bottom feeding gets even better......
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
There is NO PDB on AA? Add another reason I wouldn't be so quick to criticize US. On some US flights, there is a PDB x 2.
It is not true that there are no per departure drinks on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.