Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B143 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by arollins
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
What is a PDB?
PDB = PRE Departure Beverage.
Hmm. AA does that. Why would that upset them.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:33 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B143 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Stripe
Originally Posted by tom911
We'll have to wait and see. AA does say they're picking up the strongest attributes of both programs, and that 100% bonus at AA is certainly stronger than the 50% at US.
That's what DL said when they acquired NW. The reality was almost exactly the opposite.

Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer
That was the attitude of the FA's on my flights Friday - at least until they heard that US Air policy is to serve PDB's....they weren't happy about that.
I suspect the AA employees will have many opportunities to regret their decision to jump into bed with Parker and US.

Originally Posted by CatotheCat
It has been funny watching all of the groaning about USAirways in this thread. Have you flown them lately? The criticisms sound circa 2001. Doesn't AA still use absurd paper coupons for upgrades? US got rid of that a decade ago. If you are mid-tier on US, you ride up front nearly every flight. I haven't sat in coach but once out of probably 50 segments. I flew 120 segments last year on AA, UA and US and by far, the AA product was the most pathetic experience on a plane I've had in years. Delays, surly FA, gate changes after gate changes at DFW. Out of 105 US segments I had exactly one delay and one cancellation.

ORD is among the worst experiences in all of aviation. CLT and DCA, among the best. Granted, PHL is no fun, but neither is DFW.

My point is all this moaning and groaning about US is probably from people who have not set foot on a Parker managed airplane. You better hope that the US model becomes the AA model, because it means: On time, limitless upgrades, low fares and clean planes.
All upgrades on AA are electronic. And upgrade rates fall after every merger, especially in the mid-tier. With relatively few overlapping routes, you simply increase the number of elites chasing after the same F seats. Especially with AA minting many new EXPs in prior months, through generous EQM bonuses and outright gifts. Finally, after the merger DL had some nice hubs that were reasonably sized and great for connections: CVG and MEM. Both are rapidly fading away.
At least you have to fly on AA to get status. Is that true on US?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Do you enjoy champagne with your breakfast there?
I'm more an OJ person at 7am. I'm traveling with two friends from the Bay Area and one of their bags didn't make the LHR-TXL connection. Very foggy at Heathrow and that was slowing everything down there. Hoping the bag came into Berlin on the BA flight that landed 2 hours ago. Fortunately we're parked here for a few days and not heading out.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I'm more an OJ person at 7am. I'm traveling with two friends from the Bay Area and one of their bags didn't make the LHR-TXL connection. Very foggy at Heathrow and that was slowing everything down there. Hoping the bag came into Berlin on the BA flight that landed 2 hours ago. Fortunately we're parked here for a few days and not heading out.
Great idea! Next time I'm through there in the morning I might try to whip up a mimosa with some of their nice vintage champagne .
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:45 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by bbkenney
yeah but on a 757 and via PHL
And what is wrong with PHL? I'll take that over JFK any day!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
You have to be kidding. PHL is the 12th circle of hell.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTak.

Paper coupon? What's that? So very 1990s!

Many do not like change, so groaning will be common, even if most of us have no clue what we're groaning about because the FFP details won't be apparent for quite some time yet. Yet, this is FlyerTalk, and members will figure out the written and unwritten rules pretty quickly when it all gets sorted out. We'll just have to disagree about some of the rest (one can get from the farthest terminal gate to another in less than ten minutes after gate arrival at DFW, for example), but welcome.

Originally Posted by CatotheCat
It has been funny watching all of the groaning about USAirways in this thread. Have you flown them lately? The criticisms sound circa 2001. Doesn't AA still use absurd paper coupons for upgrades? US got rid of that a decade ago. If you are mid-tier on US, you ride up front nearly every flight. I haven't sat in coach but once out of probably 50 segments. I flew 120 segments last year on AA, UA and US and by far, the AA product was the most pathetic experience on a plane I've had in years. Delays, surly FA, gate changes after gate changes at DFW. Out of 105 US segments I had exactly one delay and one cancellation.

ORD is among the worst experiences in all of aviation. CLT and DCA, among the best. Granted, PHL is no fun, but neither is DFW.

My point is all this moaning and groaning about US is probably from people who have not set foot on a Parker managed airplane. You better hope that the US model becomes the AA model, because it means: On time, limitless upgrades, low fares and clean planes.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
That was the attitude of the FA's on my flights Friday - at least until they heard that US Air policy is to serve PDB's....they weren't happy about that.
ROFL!

I have flown dozens of first class US flights over the last year or three in my quest to maintain *G and one thing that did stand out is the 100% availability of PDB on US.^
Old Feb 17, 2013, 3:04 pm

Not if you live closer to it than to EWR and JFK. Not if it sees an increase in transcon and trsnaatlantic availability. And not if you enjoy the early morning flights out with virtually no lines/congestion in the AA portion of the terminal, and not if you like to pop in to a quite usually empty BA club lounge at that early time of the day.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz
Not if you live closer to it than to EWR and JFK. Not if it sees an increase in transcon and trsnaatlantic availability. And not if you enjoy the early morning flights out with virtually no lines/congestion in the AA portion of the terminal, and not if you like to pop in to a quite usually empty BA club lounge at that early time of the day.
Well, if I lived in LA I suppose I would prefer LAX as well. Personal geography really doesn't relate to the quality of the airport overall. But one of the main reasons I stopped flying US was having to connect in PHL. I think it is the worst airport I have been to outside of India. I do suspect that AA will move more international flights there, however.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak:20265654
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I'd actually take ORD over PHL. In fact I rather like ORD. May be in the minority though
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I'd actually take ORD over PHL. In fact I rather like ORD. May be in the minority though
I think I would take LUN or even DFW over PHL.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm shocked. Shocked!!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
What's even more shocking is that 26% of voters think that this merger is a good thing.
This is just going to mean higher fares and less award availability
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
ROFL!

I have flown dozens of first class US flights over the last year or three in my quest to maintain *G and one thing that did stand out is the 100% availability of PDB on US.^
I just took SJC-PHX in F on US Air today and no PDBs were offered. Double pass with the snack basket, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.