Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I'm on an AA flight, sitting in first. We leave early, scheduled early arrival. PDBs are served. While waiting at the gate an incredibly attractive woman boards and proceeds to sit next to me. Breakfast was good. GoGo is fast and i had a free pass for it (AA gave me 40 free ones). I'm cranking Led Zeppelin on the earbuds. Praise the New American. Praise Mr. Parker. All is well.
Glad to see AA has the bolded piece under control.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I'm on an AA flight, sitting in first. We leave early, scheduled early arrival. PDBs are served. While waiting at the gate an incredibly attractive woman boards and proceeds to sit next to me. Breakfast was good. GoGo is fast and i had a free pass for it (AA gave me 40 free ones). I'm cranking Led Zeppelin on the earbuds. Praise the New American. Praise Mr. Parker. All is well.
Unadvertised imminent EXP perk?

PS - Okay, sorry for the non-gender-neutral comment. Edit as you see fit
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Not everyone flies (or cares) about international travel
Not everyone does int'l travel enough to worry about it
You don't fly international? How do you use your systemwides?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Keeping both JFK and PHL as hubs is feasible, keeping JFK, LGA and PHL would have been too much, the new AA will have more slots at LGA than it should use/need and is probably better off with a non legacy getting the extra slots at DCA than having DL hold onto them. Plus, did LCC have the cash to pay DL anything, the cash they got from DL seemed pretty important to them?
You're saying that having just 32% of the LGA slots is more than they need? And by extension, having half of them would likewise be far too many?

Thanks for the chuckle.

Somehow, Delta knows what to do with about half the LGA slots - and that is to initiate nonstop service to the largest 50 or so O&D markets, many of them with mainline planes or 2-class regional jets. Assuming, for purposes of argument, that such an endeavor was beyond the ability of a $13 billion airline (US), I have to believe that it's well within the grasp of a $39 billion airline (new AA), as Delta is demonstrating.

About the bolded portion - I think you have that backwards. US and DL fought strenuously for two years to try to prevent low-cost carriers from obtaining the divested slots at LGA and DCA. US and DL wanted to hand-pick the recipients but the government required that they be auctioned to non-incumbents. In that auction, B6 paid about $72 million for eight flights at LGA and eight flights at DCA, which both US and DL had tried to prevent.

Yes, the $66 million that DL gave US was integral to the deal, but was a much more important amount of cash in 2009 when US was trying to prevent a Ch 11 filing brought on by its shortage of cash (resulting from its huge hedging losses). By December, 2011, US had almost doubled its unrestricted cash balance and didn't need that cash infusion as much as it needed it in Aug, 2009.

Delta has set a goal of winning in NYC, the nation's richest O&D market. Its dominant position at LGA will go a long way toward accomplishing that goal. In addition, its position at JFK is substantially larger than new AA.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tom911
You don't fly international? How do you use your systemwides?
I think this is more a generic concern. Take, for instance, a US FFer whose sales area isn't overseas but travels a lot in the US, they fly 75-90K a year (maybe VERY occasionally they hit 100K). They're married with kids, and vacations aren't spent in the Maldives or Bali, but more like Disneyworld or the Poconos, and quite frankly, they are on a plane enough such that flying isn't all that appealing, even if there's caviar and Dom.

For this kind of person, if they're getting upgraded 80-90% of their flights as a US Platinum, telling them "sorry, 60%-70% of your upgrades will now cost $30 for every 500 miles" isn't particularly attractive.

This person is also not likely to be part of the FT "do anything for top elite status and then milk it for all it's worth" crowd- they aren't particularly into maximizing the use of miles/etc.; travel is a necessary evil for them. Especially if they are doing a lot of segment-based travel, schlepping around the East Coast and various US hubs on higher-priced fares into smaller airports with limited competition, they may well be a considerably more valuable customer to the combined US/AA entity than someone buying $300 cheap Y transcons, $700 trips to Europe or Shanghai, and complex mileage runs, and then using their EXP upgrades + eVIPs to make a nice self-licking ice cream cone of perpetual elite status using bargain-basement fares.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:29 am

Changes to either program will most likely not be particularly attractive to some people.

I doubt we have any good idea about the typical elite on either program or the likely effect of any changes on revenues or profits.

AA and US saw fit to announce that US fliers would join AAdvantage, the "best developed loyalty program in the world" and that AA has more than twice as many frequent flyer program members as US.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
You're saying that having just 32% of the LGA slots is more than they need? And by extension, having half of them would likewise be far too many?

Thanks for the chuckle.
In the short term definitely.

Have you seen the fares and load factors out of the NYC area? The majors including AA are taking significant loses trying to hold market share and keep their slots active. Right now there is simply too much capacity in and out of NYC for the market to profitably support, but no airline wants to give up its position on the theory demand will recover. Even the new larger AA couldn't afford trying to run major hubs at LGA, JFK and PHL.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I think you have that backwards. US and DL fought strenuously for two years to try to prevent low-cost carriers from obtaining the divested slots at LGA and DCA. US and DL wanted to hand-pick the recipients but the government required that they be auctioned to non-incumbents. In that auction, B6 paid about $72 million for eight flights at LGA and eight flights at DCA, which both US and DL had tried to prevent.
Making the admittedly significant assumption that premium passengers and corporate/government contracts are still a prime consideration (this is DCA after all) AA should be quite happy with the outcome. The LCCs have limited domestic networks, no international coverage or benefits and are generally Y only. DL would have been significant competition for this core group of customers, B6 and LUV are not, now unless they're willing to go to IAD, they'll be with AA.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
For this kind of person, if they're getting upgraded 80-90% of their flights as a US Platinum, telling them "sorry, 60%-70% of your upgrades will now cost $30 for every 500 miles" isn't particularly attractive.
Good point. At AA, though, do we have a lot of midtiers even clearing 90% with paid instruments? I just can't recall Platinum level flyers posting those types of numbers in the public forums. More often it seems that they're in the back of the plane due to paid F, Y-Ups, and EXP upgrades.

So how does AA win that US flyer over when they can't promise a stellar upgrade rate, be it comped or paid? Even over at UA I haven't seen reports of midtier flyers clearing in the 90% range. A lot of them are purchasing paid upgrades prior to departure, which is something new over there, jumping over higher tier elites on the list for a variable upgrade fee.

Could US be the sole carrier with that type of clearance rate for midtiers? It does really put AA into the predicament that to match that rate they would need to decrease upgrades from some other groups or just not sell F seats.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
They're married with kids, and vacations aren't spent in the Maldives or Bali, but more like Disneyworld or the Poconos...
This is definitely the first -- and probably the last -- time that I will ever see the Maldives and Bali mentioned in the same sentence as the Poconos.

The good news for AA fliers, though, is that the merger will once again open up the Poconos (i.e. AVP) as a vacation destination for their segment-qualifying road warriors. ^
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by SS255
This is definitely the first -- and probably the last -- time that I will ever see the Maldives and Bali mentioned in the same sentence as the Poconos.

The good news for AA fliers, though, is that the merger will once again open up the Poconos (i.e. AVP) as a vacation destination for their segment-qualifying road warriors. ^
There are "mountain resorts" in PA!? I guess when AA eliminating the SJU based flights a lot of Caribbean segment runs disappeared... I never realized how desperate some AA elites could become.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tom911
Good point. At AA, though, do we have a lot of midtiers even clearing 90% with paid instruments? I just can't recall Platinum level flyers posting those types of numbers in the public forums. More often it seems that they're in the back of the plane due to paid F, Y-Ups, and EXP upgrades.

So how does AA win that US flyer over when they can't promise a stellar upgrade rate, be it comped or paid? Even over at UA I haven't seen reports of midtier flyers clearing in the 90% range. A lot of them are purchasing paid upgrades prior to departure, which is something new over there, jumping over higher tier elites on the list for a variable upgrade fee.

Could US be the sole carrier with that type of clearance rate for midtiers? It does really put AA into the predicament that to match that rate they would need to decrease upgrades from some other groups or just not sell F seats.
It may be as a result of US flying from the hubs they do: DCA/CLT/PHX/PHL. Sort of like CO from IAH/CLE/EWR...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I think this is more a generic concern. Take, for instance, a US FFer whose sales area isn't overseas but travels a lot in the US, they fly 75-90K a year (maybe VERY occasionally they hit 100K). They're married with kids, and vacations aren't spent in the Maldives or Bali, but more like Disneyworld or the Poconos, and quite frankly, they are on a plane enough such that flying isn't all that appealing, even if there's caviar and Dom.

This person is also not likely to be part of the FT "do anything for top elite status and then milk it for all it's worth" crowd- they aren't particularly into maximizing the use of miles/etc.; travel is a necessary evil for them. Especially if they are doing a lot of segment-based travel, schlepping around the East Coast and various US hubs on higher-priced fares into smaller airports with limited competition, they may well be a considerably more valuable customer to the combined US/AA entity than someone buying $300 cheap Y transcons, $700 trips to Europe or Shanghai, and complex mileage runs, and then using their EXP upgrades + eVIPs to make a nice self-licking ice cream cone of perpetual elite status using bargain-basement fares.
$700 to PVG?
Care to elaborate?
Outside of fuel dumping I can't seem to get anything close to that on AA.
(Besides, routing via NRT makes an eVIP easier to clear rather than to PVG)
300 for a transcontinental flight is NOT cheap-that's almost 6cpm at the best.
Vacations they can purchase cheap revenue tickets rather than using miles.
To PVG I will NOT fly JL/NH/OZ/AC/KE due to limited mileage earning, nor DL due to nearly useless miles.
UA I might consider but AA has a better product.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
300 for a transcontinental flight is NOT cheap-that's almost 6cpm at the best.
It's 6 cents/EQM, but more like 3 cents/mile for PLT or above. It equates to about $6K for EXP. Yes, that is cheap.

Cheers.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:37 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by brp
It's 6 cents/EQM, but more like 3 cents/mile for PLT or above. It equates to about $6K for EXP. Yes, that is cheap.

Cheers.
Astounding that there are EXPs who think $300 transcons are expensive, use fuel dumps liberally, and consider playing with their home address to get better promo coverage, and think $6k for EXP is too much.

And people here wonder why airlines are considering revenue floors as part of status requirements....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.