Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by aafreq
I received this communication from USA this AM

US Airways and American Airlines combine to create premier global carrier

What did I get from AA NADA, nothing......So this is the 'New American'.......
Check your spam filter because most of us received multiple emails from AA today.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by aafreq
I received this communication from USA this AM

US Airways and American Airlines combine to create premier global carrier

What did I get from AA NADA, nothing......So this is the 'New American'.......
My US communication came through. My AA communication went straight to spam despite no other AA e-mails ever have. So check there. AA definitely sent out multiple messages today.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by sts603
My US communication came through. My AA communication went straight to spam despite no other AA e-mails ever have. So check there. AA definitely sent out multiple messages today.
All three ended up in my spam folder as well.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
Is Boeing the biggest loser in this merger?

Since U.S. appears to be controlling the new airline, is this a bad omen for Boeing? I know American is a mixed airline in orders, but U.S. is pretty much exclusively Airbus. Since I live in Seattle, I tend to root for the home team.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt that Boeing has lost anything in this merger, as everyone confirmed today that the recent orders will continue:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...sh-fleets.html
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
You're comparing a BA "several years ago" experience to LH last year. Really not a fair comparison.

I have no reason to lie to you - the BA "F" and Y experience have definitely improved. The Concorde and First lounges are equal or better to the LH lounge in most respects. The in-flight experience is quite similar.
My experience as well, although I should have said that nearly all my travel on both has been in coach, with the exception of one LH business class flight on a barcalounger worse than UA's old ones and one great flight upstairs in F on an LH 747 where they allocated two lie-flats per person.

For that last trip, I also had my one-time experience at an LH First lounge in FRA. It was really somewhat comparable to BA's First lounges in LHR, except that I get to use the BA lounges on every coach trip I take with them!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
AA has flown 747s in the past, that I knew, but I was curious as to why they picked a plane that neither airline has flown, possibly in my lifetime (give or take the exact days when HP flew that 747 and the day I was born ). I know the 747 is an iconic image of an aircraft, but it simply doesn't seem to apply here.
AA also had two 747SPs which it got in the TW merger and flew DFW/NRT.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

It might have acquired those in 1990 when in purchased the "Heathrow" slots but by the time American Acquired TWA in 2001 there were no 747's or any kind left in TWA's fleet.

In addition fwiw there was previous merger of any kind between these two carriers. Just TWA selling itself off to the lowest bidder and Ichan running that company down
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Actually the TWA 747SPs were acquired in the 80s. TW didn't have any 747SPs in the fleet at the time of the merger with AA - in fact I think all the 747s were gone completely.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by convert
Since U.S. appears to be controlling the new airline, is this a bad omen for Boeing? I know American is a mixed airline in orders, but U.S. is pretty much exclusively Airbus. Since I live in Seattle, I tend to root for the home team.
Boeing definitely has a chance for future orders by the new American, but they will have to compete hard. Boeing cannot afford to take its customers for granted.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
They seem to pull away from buying any newer model 737's like United did. Now UA is buying alot of 737's which CO was heavy into and AA an airline that never operated any older model 737's and is a relatively new customer may drive to bu more 737;'s like UA.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:19 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by mrredskin
you don't travel to ATL or CLT too often during the summer, do you?
or DFW, or MIA, or ORD (all AA hubs).
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:19 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Call Sign

Why not keep the American call-sign and not use Cactus. That goes back to America-West. I can't beleive they will use the airline code HP instead off AA.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
At least we're likely to get back Theodore Francis Greene Airport in Providence, RI. Used to love those ATR flights down Long Island Sound, transferring to the DC-10 from JFK to SFO. Except now it will be the A320somethingneoish.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Will people call this the Valentine's Day Massacre?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.