Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why not keep the American call-sign and not use Cactus. That goes back to America-West. I can't beleive they will use the airline code HP instead off AA.
Iirc, there was a reason to keep Cactus - the US call sign was periodically confused with another, and it was decided on the basis of ATC safety. I can't imagine them no using the AA call sign.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'd love to see the same "what do you think about the merger" poll results on the US forum, among US regulars. I suspect most of the responses so far are from AA regulars.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
While that may certainly be correct in the abstract (higher ticket prices), the decline in real (inflation adjusted) ticket prices since 1978 demonstrates that airline mergers may be the exception to that rule. The startups and their low fares (made possible by their low wages) have provided real checks on the ability of the high-cost airlines to extract high fares over the long-term.

Sure, in some communities, fares look outrageous as the B6, VX, NK or WN effects have yet to reach them (and probably never will). But overall, air travel is very cheap despite very expensive fuel prices.
Because LCCs tend to be more point to point and fly mostly mainline a/c smaller communities are not as attractive.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'd love to see the same "what do you think about the merger" poll results on the US forum, among US regulars. I suspect most of the responses so far are from AA regulars.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...on-thread.html

25% think it's a good idea, 75% think it's a bad idea.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
A very large share of the connecting and MUC bound *A traffic takes Lufthansa across the Atlantic... with the merger this will become a less attractive option for LCC domestic elites increasing demand for the PHL-MUC flight. The fact that there isn't currently a direct flight between the MUC focus city and a OW hub in North America means the merger will also provide new OW connecting traffic for the route. There's a lot more than O/D to consider.
Possibly. But I think it's more likely that the LCC MUC lift would be diverted to another OW "hub" in Europe - say DUS or BER (when that eventually opens...) - or even DME. Unless AA evolves its thinking,

As an aside, I scarcely find MUC to be an OW focus city - sure, it's served by AB to four cities in Germany and three other European destinations, but (from an earlier post) "dozens of OW destinations on four continents"? BA - LHR. QR - DOH. IB - MAD. DME and OVB. AMM. Okay, so we have a handful of destinations in Europe and ME. No service from CX, QF, or MH.. That is three full service (as opposed to AB/S7) OW carriers that don't serve MUC not counting AA and LAN).

Believe me, I wish MUC actually was a focus city since I'm there a lot (as in half a dozen times a year from the left coast - and I go with BA). Would be nice to be able to roll the dice on an SWU on AA metal but yeah, that's not going to happen any time soon IMO.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
I'm happy to give the merger the benefit of the doubt for the time being. Compared to Chapter 7 or a different takeover involving the loss of Million Miler status, the current deal looks OK.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...on-thread.html

25% think it's a good idea, 75% think it's a bad idea.
Well for those elites not in the top tier the thought of needing to use (and other than earned pay for) stickers for upgrading is probably not heart warming.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: AA 1.5MM & RC of an employee, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer
We get 8 one way systemwide upgrades each year as EXP. When you hit each million miles (as EXP) you get four additional SWU's. Then, we can use miles (and an upgrade fee) as well if we fly more than that internationally.

BTW, you make one excellent point. I haven't seen a Gold in F/C in quite a while.
How do you know if there are Golds in FC? It's not like we wear name tags. I put in upgrades for all my flights and get upgraded 25% of the time. That is fine with me. I do miss my EXP days though.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Well for those elites not in the top tier the thought of needing to use (and other than earned pay for) stickers for upgrading is probably not heart warming.
Leaving *A for OW is also a fairly big deal, aside from consolidation generally not being a good thing for the consumer.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Possibly. But I think it's more likely that the LCC MUC lift would be diverted to another OW "hub" in Europe - say DUS or BER (when that eventually opens...) - or even DME. Unless AA evolves its thinking,

As an aside, I scarcely find MUC to be an OW focus city - sure, it's served by AB to four cities in Germany and three other European destinations, but (from an earlier post) "dozens of OW destinations on four continents"? BA - LHR. QR - DOH. IB - MAD. DME and OVB. AMM. Okay, so we have a handful of destinations in Europe and ME. No service from CX, QF, or MH.. That is three full service (as opposed to AB/S7) OW carriers that don't serve MUC not counting AA and LAN).

Believe me, I wish MUC actually was a focus city since I'm there a lot (as in half a dozen times a year from the left coast - and I go with BA). Would be nice to be able to roll the dice on an SWU on AA metal but yeah, that's not going to happen any time soon IMO.
I think DUS, BER and DME are more likely to be served from the current cornerstone hubs (AA's ordered plenty of wide-bodies to add the routes without cutting existing ones), the PHL-MUC route is already established and IMO can survive as a link between a secondary hub and an under-served focus city. If the route survives you should get a shot at a SWU through PHL sometime in 2014.

AB also has a lot of admittedly seasonal leisure routes from MUC, right now MUC has the only oneworld flight to Mombasa Kenya as well as direct flights to the Caribbean. PHL-MUC-MLA/CFU/HER... would be thin low yield routes, but they could help fill empty seats. AY also has a couple flights a day MUC-HEL which allows for connections to Asia. By no means is MUC a oneworld hub, but it's not a common spoke for oneworld the way it is for skyteam.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:40 am
ts3

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, BAEC, SPG, UA, AF
Lots of nice graphics from Zero Hedge and WSJ on fleets, pilot pay, etc.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-0...nd-new-airline
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:19 pm

Interesting how the entire northwest region is almost entirely untouched. Hardly anything north of LAX. As an SFO based flyer, this merger creates an airline that is as irrelevant as AA or US were alone. Would be great for them to invest in SFO and start aggressively taking share from UA in this market.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Interesting how the entire northwest region is almost entirely untouched. Hardly anything north of LAX. As an SFO based flyer, this merger creates an airline that is as irrelevant as AA or US were alone. Would be great for them to invest in SFO and start aggressively taking share from UA in this market.
Seems like they're going to rely on AS for that coverage.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have long speculated that once AA emerged from Ch 11, with lower costs, the need to retreat to the "cornerstones" was diminished, and now that the new AA has lots of new hubs, I'm very confident that new AA will expand at SFO. Contraction was necessary when it had the highest costs. Now that it has lower costs, growth is again possible.

New AA is now the largest airline at BOS, which will be the largest domestic station not called a hub or focus city, and I think that SFO will be the second largest.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Maybe Parker will peruse a merger with Virgin America next. Seems unlikely but you never know in the airline industry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.