Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta skymiles platinum, American AAdvantage Platinum
Angry Redundancy

5 emails from different executives of the airlines and affiliates (Citi) essentially saying the same thing (nothing of particular relevance). Anyone concerned about the Customer Experience? FIVE emails in 1/2 a day!? Have you read how redundant and verbose they are? Have you read the RIDICULOUS legalese that is longer than the emails? What percent of your customers need this information for a GENERAL announcement saying “stay tuned for more information”. This is just exemplary of how broken this really is, and why these companies ended-up bankrupt multiple times.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
That assumes they all stay. I could see ATH & SNN going. The rest I think will stay.
SNN is seasonal, so it's quite possible it might survive. It may not as this is it's first season back anyway: but if it's profitable, there is no reason they might not come back next summer.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Is it true that US only gives you 2 international upgrades per year? What do people do the rest of the time?
Chairman's Preferred gets 2 one-way transcon (and Hawaii) upgrades per year. Upgrades to the Caribbean and Latin America are included in the standard North America upgrades too which is nice. Vacations to the islands are available for the free upgrades.

The rest of the time, you sit in the back. Sometimes can buy an upgrade at the gate if there's space for $500-700, although I haven't done that in a few years.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus(ick)
Originally Posted by denCSA
It will be interesting on the IT front, for sure. Overall though, I am not happy about this merger, US' product is pure trash!
That's for sure!
Whenever I fly US and I sit at the US gates at BDL, I watch the gate agents print this FEEEEEEEETTTTTT long dot matrix flight print out.
I don't see that anywhere else. It literally prints a 15ft long document for something like 10min.
It's ludicrous. I hope that part goes away, IT wise.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT
My predictions on changes that will be imposed on the new FF program and elite status within three years:

Mileage redemption requirements for all award tickets will at least double as they did with Delta.

Upgrades for lower level elites will become all but non-existent as the AA institutes a new Tens of Dollars upgrade system similar to COdbaUA.

The ranks of EXP's will plummet as AA institutes a new revenue based requirement in addition to mileage to obtain any level of status, as was just done by Delta.

All FF programs will continue to be gutted as the three majors engage in a race to the bottom.

The current EXP's who love to brag on flyertalk about they manage to qualify every year for under 6K spend will be shut out in the new system and will have to find a new hobby in life.

I really hope I'm wrong about any of these predictions.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JBEagle1000G
That's for sure!
Whenever I fly US and I sit at the US gates at BDL, I watch the gate agents print this FEEEEEEEETTTTTT long dot matrix flight print out.
I don't see that anywhere else. It literally prints a 15ft long document for something like 10min.
It's ludicrous. I hope that part goes away, IT wise.
Pretty much all airlines do that, as it gives necessary info (manifest, connections, etc) to the FAs/crew for the flight. AA, however, has introduced tablets for FAs, so that should reduce future paperwork that has to be printed. All of the FAs I've talked to have loved their new tablets.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by sts603
Actually, even during the winter AA charged a premium for the n/s when I was there during 2007-2010. The one-stop options to LHR (namely JFK and ORD) usually matched other carriers with connections.
I'm not 100% sure what you're saying. My point was that the flight itself could be more profitable than any given JFK-LHR (just an example), and more profitable by a wide margin, but it would have to be 5x as profitable for the route on the whole to be more profitable. The latter is the part which I find difficult to believe even with the premium for RDU-LHR direct.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Not sure about the future of MUC either. Made a ton of sense with the *A connection but that being tossed, can the combined AA make it on O/D?
I think MUC will end up staying but I could see that one being moved to JFK and going to a 762 or 763. Too bad a 75L can't do JFK-MUC.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by terminator33
My predictions on changes that will be imposed on the new FF program and elite status within three years:

Mileage redemption requirements for all award tickets will at least double as they did with Delta.

Upgrades for lower level elites will become all but non-existent as the AA institutes a new Tens of Dollars upgrade system similar to COdbaUA.

The ranks of EXP's will plummet as AA institutes a new revenue based requirement in addition to mileage to obtain any level of status, as was just done by Delta.

All FF programs will continue to be gutted as the three majors engage in a race to the bottom.

The current EXP's who love to brag on flyertalk about they manage to qualify every year for under 6K spend will be shut out in the new system and will have to find a new hobby in life.

I really hope I'm wrong about any of these predictions.
One can assert that at least half of those changes would happen at both AA and US even if there wasn't a merger.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So AA/US means DL will get VX?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:47 pm

according to the poll, 49.97% of the readers are opposed to this AA-US merger.
(as of 3:48pm CST)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:49 pm

US Airways

I have lived in the Phoenix area for 10 years so fly US Air a lot, I find their IT services lagging both on their website and in flexibility, customer service is just so - so but not sure how it compares with American. I have a hard time using Firefox as they are always behind in keeping up. I have to admit that financially they have been well managed, staying in the black while other airlines have been going bankrupt or losing money. Since US Air will be running the company I expect that may mean more restrictions than previously with AA and the AA unions will not find bargaining easy either.

One thing I like about US Air is that they are in Star Alliance with a lot of overseas airlines participating. I just booked a trip to Istanbul with reward miles First and Business class, last year I booked Rome and Frankfurt all first class. I hope we can keep those alliances in effect. Ideally we could get both One World and Star Alliance. If not I hope we keep Star Alliance which is both bigger and has some quality overseas airlines. One World has BA (ugh) which would help with my overseas traveling otherwise it doesn't look that appealing to me.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ronniefastback
Chairman's Preferred gets 2 one-way transcon (and Hawaii) upgrades per year. Upgrades to the Caribbean and Latin America are included in the standard North America upgrades too which is nice. Vacations to the islands are available for the free upgrades.

The rest of the time, you sit in the back. Sometimes can buy an upgrade at the gate if there's space for $500-700, although I haven't done that in a few years.
Or upgrade for 30K miles plus $300. Very similar to AA's 25K plus $250. The fee is waived on Y/B tickets but unlike AA, US still charges the full mileage quotient. Upgrades to TLV are 40K.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by WChou
Looks like AA will be going home with the last dance beauty queen as The party is coming to an end. All the pretty people have already paired off. DL found NW, UA and CO are doing the Rihanna/Chris Brown thing, and even WN/FL have found each other. The swinger that gets around wishes to remain that way (AS).
Today is, after all, St Valentine's Day. Who says these guys don't have a gsoh?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Rfharris
I have lived in the Phoenix area for 10 years so fly US Air a lot, I find their IT services lagging both on their website and in flexibility, customer service is just so - so but not sure how it compares with American. I have a hard time using Firefox as they are always behind in keeping up. I have to admit that financially they have been well managed, staying in the black while other airlines have been going bankrupt or losing money. Since US Air will be running the company I expect that may mean more restrictions than previously with AA and the AA unions will not find bargaining easy either.

One thing I like about US Air is that they are in Star Alliance with a lot of overseas airlines participating. I just booked a trip to Istanbul with reward miles First and Business class, last year I booked Rome and Frankfurt all first class. I hope we can keep those alliances in effect. Ideally we could get both One World and Star Alliance. If not I hope we keep Star Alliance which is both bigger and has some quality overseas airlines. One World has BA (ugh) which would help with my overseas traveling otherwise it doesn't look that appealing to me.
The fact that AA-US is going to One World has been decided for a very long time. Sorry to burst your bubble. One World has some great options for airlines/routes and far better perks for top-tier fliers. Its also growing with some top notch airlines like MH and QR.

For TATL, AA/BA/IB has you covered almost anywhere you want to go. To Latin America, AA/LA do. And to the Pacific Rim, AA/CX/JL/MH and QF do. All are good airlines to travel on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.