Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 AA Domestic Meals - menus / menu, photos, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 AA Domestic Meals - menus / menu, photos, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Here's a pic of the strata with sausage and potatoes. A nice change from the usual offerings. The lemon poppy seed muffin was very good, too.

Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat;UA Gold;DL Gold;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Diamond;Marriott Gold;Hertz PC;Natl ExecElite
01.17.13, DCA-DFW, Snack

01.17.13, DCA-DFW (MD-80), 3:55p departure, snack

Choice of:
Grilled chicken salad with quinoa
or
Open-faced turkey sandwich with brie

I had the turkey sandwich. Very good! On a dark bread, with each triangle of the sandwich having the brie, the turkey, and a tomato. In the middle was a tasty coleslaw.

Nuts and towels before meal, cookie after.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat;UA Gold;DL Gold;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Diamond;Marriott Gold;Hertz PC;Natl ExecElite
01.18.13, DFW-LGA, Snack

01.18.13, DFW-LGA (737, new seats), 3:00p departure, snack

Hot towels, warm nuts

Choice of 2 options:
1. Chicken pot pie crepe
2. Beef udon noodle salad

I had the crepe -- fine, served with mashed sweet potatoes.

Cookies followed.

Service on-board was excellent.

I used the new online function to pre-order my meal, but when the FA took meal orders, she didn't reference my pre-order. Thanks to FEBO, I got what I had requested, but perhaps there are still some kinks in that system?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:08 pm

01.30.13, SEA-DFW, breakfast

01.30.13, SEA-DFW (737, new seats), 7:35a departure, Breakfast

Any pre-departure beverage you wanted (impressive, since plane was totally full)

Hot towels

Two options:
1. Egg and spinach strada
2. Oatmeal

I had the oatmeal. Not bad. It was served with a small ramekin of brown sugar, a bag of dried berries, and a carton of milk. A small melon plate was on the side. I'd had this last year once, and it was served with fresh berries, which I preferred, but this was fine.

Biscuit (yum) or puppy seed muffin.

Good service, although would have preferred more active beverage refill as flight continued.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by sts603
What needs to change even is the addition of a proper pre-arrival snack on ORD/DFW-HNL/OGG. Was starving when I walked off the plane last time on ORD-HNL.
Originally Posted by sellouts
I agree with this, I remember thinking the exact same thing last time I flew this route.

And the Sam Choy options are pretty tired. Would be great to see some different, more hawaiian fish options.
I used to feel this way - but now that UA is offering a single mid-con entree (no choice) on some of its longer HNL flights in J (DEN/IAH-HNL) - I'm just very grateful for what AA provides. Also, AA's HFS salads are probably the best in the entire system in any class, IMHO.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
AA550 LAX-ORD F Jan 2013

AA550 LAX-ORD F Jan 2013 (6am departure)

Breakfast

Same as dcfrequentflyer describes two posts above:
choice of oatmeal or egg and spinach strada

Good service overall by two FAs who, FWIW, both appeared to be well into their 70s.

Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:19 pm

AA1852 ORD-BOS F Jan 2013

AA1852 ORD-BOS F Jan 2013 (1:45pm departure)

Snack

Choice of chicken salad or roast beef wrap. Cookie choice was double chocolate chip or cranberry.

Perfect sized meal for a 1hr40m flight (on UA, I'd be lucky to get a bag of potato chips) and fantastic service from a wonderful crew (well, except for the lack of PDBs).

Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

Snack

Choice of chicken salad or roast beef wrap. Cookie choice was double chocolate chip or cranberry.

Perfect sized meal for a 1hr40m flight (on UA, I'd be lucky to get a bag of potato chips) and fantastic service from a wonderful crew (well, except for the lack of PDBs).

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/a...1-27142344.jpg
are the wrap slices not a bit bigger?

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 5, 2013 at 5:13 am Reason: removed [img] tags to save real estate
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond

Snack

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/a...1-27142344.jpg
That is my new favorite snack. The roast beef is nice and lean and it's just enough for a snack flight. This is one I have to give kudos to AA, well done!

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 5, 2013 at 5:13 am Reason: removed [img] tags to save real estate
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
It is quite good, tho' I believe it's "strata", which could be loosely translated as "layers" ...
Didn't know that. Interesting.

My friend had an old Fiat Strada. It had all the horsepower of a warmed-over egg dish.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I used to feel this way - but now that UA is offering a single mid-con entree (no choice) on some of its longer HNL flights in J (DEN/IAH-HNL) - I'm just very grateful for what AA provides. Also, AA's HFS salads are probably the best in the entire system in any class, IMHO.

-FlyerBeek
UA has always served a single meal option in domestic J, however, many think that the longer domestic routes like to HNL should be catered with two options.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
UA has always served a single meal option in domestic J, however, many think that the longer domestic routes like to HNL should be catered with two options.
Incorrect for UA's Hawaiian service. 3-class 777 Hawaii service is relatively new for UA (since mid-2012, I believe). Up until last month there was a choice of 2 entrees in J - now it's down to a single mid-con entree. Unsuitable for flight lengths that can exceed transatlantic flights. AA's ORD-DCA F catering exceeds UA's J IAH-HNL catering!

You are correct that UA's regular (non-ps, non-Hawaii) 3-class domestic flights have featured a single meal option in domestic J for quite some time.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Incorrect for UA's Hawaiian service. 3-class 777 Hawaii service is relatively new for UA (since mid-2012, I believe). Up until last month there was a choice of 2 entrees in J - now it's down to a single mid-con entree. Unsuitable for flight lengths that can exceed transatlantic flights. AA's ORD-DCA F catering exceeds UA's J IAH-HNL catering!

You are correct that UA's regular (non-ps, non-Hawaii) 3-class domestic flights have featured a single meal option in domestic J for quite some time.

-FlyerBeek
The EWR-HNL service did have J service, however it is currently on a two class 767, the IAH-HNL which started in Nov, with a three class 777 (it currently is a 767-400) has always served one meal in J. My partner and I flew it in Dec, and I was surpised that the service wasn't better for a 9 hr flight... It was nice comfortable though but a big let down. ORD-HNL is currently a 2 class 777, and DEN-HNL is a 757... Now I'm not too sure why the changes, it could have to do with the fact the 787 are grounded and had to switch around some aircraft. My partner I have flown to HNL from LAX/DEN/ and now IAH on UA and have been underwhelmed all three times, all have been on 777.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:45 pm

AA/OO 2681
LAX-SJC
CR(ap)J(et) 200
10:10PM-10:58PM (sked)
10:23PM-11:16PM (actual)
January 30, 2013
EXP Consolation Prize
PDB: Sweat from seatmate

To be fair, my seatmate was very nice. She was not a large woman but the tiny CRJ and useless air conditioning made the plane very warm.

As usual on SkyWest flights, the cabin was served by a bright and chipper flight attendant that was well versed in the EXP benefit and didn't think passengers were cutting in valuable People magazine time in the galley.

This flight featured the other cheese and cracker tray served on American Eagle flights. It came with almonds, Oreos, white chedder type spreadable "cheese" food, two types of Pepperidge Farm crackers, and a mint. Wisely a plastic knife was not included lest someone tried to cut their way of out of the Canuck beer can with wings.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:04 am

01.31.13, MIA-DCA, Dinner

01.13.13, MIA-DCA (737, new seats), 6:30p departure, dinner

We boarded right at 6:00p and were then delayed until 8:30p because of an issue with the pilot's oxygen mask. During this entire delay, passengers in first got 1 cup of water at 6:15p. We did get to hear two male FAs stand in the galley and talk about (a) cars and (b) how much they hate their jobs ("the only reason I keep it is I get so many days off") for 2 hours.

Meal:
-Hot nuts, towels
-Choice of 2 entrees:
1. Chipotle chicken
2. Tortellini with mushroom sauce

I had the chicken, which was served with rice and some vegetables, a salad, and a slice of cheesecake.

The chicken tasted OK--but does anyone else find the chipotle chicken breast oddly sized? It's so large. Where do they find chicken breasts that size?

Bad FA service continued throughout flight. For instance, with dinner breads, we were not offered the choice of multigrain or sourdough--it was FA's choice. Breads were served out of a plastic bag on the cart; later in the flight, he served the mints out of the plastic bag instead of the basket.

Appearance of FAs also bad: both had their ties loosened, collars open, etc.

Beverages not refilled, either.

Not one of my best AA first class experiences, service-wise; meal itself was acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.