Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Considering that this flight has been late by 2+ hours 50% of the time this week, I have little sympathy for AA.
The overall or recent on-time performance really doesn't mean anything - if your particular flight was delayed due to weather, then that was beyond AA's control and you really have no reason to expect compensation.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Steve M
The overall or recent on-time performance really doesn't mean anything - if your particular flight was delayed due to weather, then that was beyond AA's control and you really have no reason to expect compensation.
Rolling thunderstorms have been plaguing the Eastern section of the US for the past week. So I guess ATC should make an exception to any flight the OP is flying. May I suggest paying for private flights.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Rolling thunderstorms have been plaguing the Eastern section of the US for the past week. So I guess ATC should make an exception to any flight the OP is flying. May I suggest paying for private flights.
Ha.

Out of curiosity, does ATC grant exceptions barring medical issues/emergencies/POTUS etc? I ask because our aircraft had a dead APU and stopping/restarting the engines was a massive production. We ended up in queue for so long that we had to go back, shut the engines off and refuel. A priority takeoff seems reasonable?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA: EXP, SPG: Gold
Delays happen and 2 hours is not such a big deal in most cases so I would just let it go.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Flight 1759 (PBI-ORD) was delayed less than two hours (1:51 to be exact).

Inbound from ORD was delayed because the equipment was coming into ORD from PHL. The PHL-ORD flight was delayed due to crew legality issues (likely they arrived late the night before). Goes to show how issues can ripple throughout the system.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP should definitely ask. Let AA flag him as a whiner. Sometime when there's something serious, he won't get it. Gimme a break.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What most do not think about as they think of how many miles they can wheedle for this and that is AA's CRM system is tracking all of it. Eagles or vultures, anyone?

Originally Posted by Often1
OP should definitely ask. Let AA flag him as a whiner. Sometime when there's something serious, he won't get it. Gimme a break.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Damn, tough crowd
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
LGA-RDU 6/29 3416 canceled Y
LGA-RDU 7/1 3301 canceled Y

All weather delays. Affected persons wife's 87 and 89 y.o. Aunts traveling alone. No status. Lucky and got two rooms at LGA Hampton Inn.

Concierge Key desk helpful on one rebook. No compensation. None expected by good sport relatives.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Antarius
Was scheduled to be on AA 1778 (DEN to DFW) with a 4 PM departure. The aircraft has a busted APU, so we are delayed while they try to get a start cart. The AA start cart overheats and dies, so AA goes and gets frontiers start cart. they start engine #1 but cannot start engine 2; turns out the engine manifold is busted. Flight is delayed indefinitely and we are deplaned.

Rebooked on the 7:15 flight (AA520). Inbound aircraft is delayed by 1.5 hours due to MX. On arrival, we board and find out that this one ALSO has a busted APU. We go through the same hoops with the AA and Frontier start carts. Finally push back at 9:45 or so. At this point a huge thunderstorm comes in causing greatly reduced departures. We sit for about an hour and then are informed that we are burning through too much fuel. We are sent back to the gate and deplane again. Reboard the aircraft at 11:30 PM. Wheels up finally at past midnight and reach DFW at 3:00 AM.

How much compensation is reasonable to ask for due to double MX? Was originally going to be picked up, but took a cab instead due to 9 hour delay
Wrote a short email to AA CS about this. Received a 300 USD voucher for future travel.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
I had five segments last week and five delays.
Guess I should ask for compensation....
The thought never crossed my mind!
All of them were weather related and way beyond AA's control.
I was just happy to get home Friday night!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:26 am

Adequate Compensation?

My mom has been saving miles for over 20 years to take my family on a vacation to Europe in First Class. We redeemed a total of 500,000 AAdvantage miles for four First Class tickets from Atlanta to London Heathrow. Our routing including a connection in Chicago (O'Hare). On the morning of our departure we received a phone call informing us that our flight from Atlanta to Chicago had been canceled as the crew that was to fly the plane from Chicago to Atlanta had timed out. We were rebooked on a flight that departed two hours after our original flight and we would still have more than enough time to connect in Chicago and were given a single $48 meal voucher that had to be used at one time. Unfortunately there was only one First Class seat available on the new flight and three of the passengers ended up sitting in the last three rows of a CRJ-700 (Very Loud). When we arrived in Chicago I was advised by the Agent in the Flagship Lounge to contact Customer Relations. Upon our return to Atlanta I contacted Customer Relations and waited on hold for over 30 minutes. I was eventually transferred to the Customer Relations Manager who upon looking in to what had happened offered us a total of 16,000 AAdvantage miles for the flight cancellation and resulting two hour delay in Atlanta. When I explained that I did not feel that this was adequate compensation for the downgrade the agent told me that since we were in First Class for at least one of our two outbound segments we would not receive any compensation for the downgrade on the other segment. I pressed further for additional compensation and was told that the Compensation Guidelines only called for 8,000 AAdvantage miles but that she was willing to double the miles considering the circumstances. When I inquired as to what the compensation would have been had we been flying on a paid ticket I was told that it would have been the same either way. I was then told that most people would consider the 16,000 miles to be adequate compensation. Do you feel that the compensation that we were offered was adequate and if not what would you consider to be adequate compensation?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:28 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by atlandy
My mom has been saving miles for over 20 years to take my family on a vacation to Europe in First Class. We redeemed a total of 500,000 AAdvantage miles for four First Class tickets from Atlanta to London Heathrow. Our routing including a connection in Chicago (O'Hare). On the morning of our departure we received a phone call informing us that our flight from Atlanta to Chicago had been canceled as the crew that was to fly the plane from Chicago to Atlanta had timed out. We were rebooked on a flight that departed two hours after our original flight and we would still have more than enough time to connect in Chicago and were given a single $48 meal voucher that had to be used at one time. Unfortunately there was only one First Class seat available on the new flight and three of the passengers ended up sitting in the last three rows of a CRJ-700 (Very Loud). When we arrived in Chicago I was advised by the Agent in the Flagship Lounge to contact Customer Relations. Upon our return to Atlanta I contacted Customer Relations and waited on hold for over 30 minutes. I was eventually transferred to the Customer Relations Manager who upon looking in to what had happened offered us a total of 16,000 AAdvantage miles for the flight cancellation and resulting two hour delay in Atlanta. When I explained that I did not feel that this was adequate compensation for the downgrade the agent told me that since we were in First Class for at least one of our two outbound segments we would not receive any compensation for the downgrade on the other segment. I pressed further for additional compensation and was told that the Compensation Guidelines only called for 8,000 AAdvantage miles but that she was willing to double the miles considering the circumstances. When I inquired as to what the compensation would have been had we been flying on a paid ticket I was told that it would have been the same either way. I was then told that most people would consider the 16,000 miles to be adequate compensation. Do you feel that the compensation that we were offered was adequate and if not what would you consider to be adequate compensation?
Seems OK to me. Not great but OK.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Seems reasonable to me too, if not more than adequate. I suspect you didn't use the miles for a F ticket on a 90 minute ATL-ORD flight, you used it for ORD-LHR which is what you got. In a similar situation, last month I was on a paid J ticket DTW-DFW-LHR with the DTW-DFW segment in First. My DTW-DFW flight got cancelled so I was rebooked DTW-ORD-LHR and was put in Y from DTW-ORD since F isn't offered on that route. Never crossed my mind to seek compensation (still doesn't) nor would I expect it on that short of a flight. I would put ATL-ORD into the same category.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by atlandy
I think you can argue for 8K per person so a total of 32K. But beyond that, I don't think you are entitled to anything. Seems reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.