Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2013, 8:12 am

Broken seat

ORD-DUS in J; seat could go flat but had some issues going back straight up. No big issue as I was sleeping; but FA had to wrestle with seat to get it up for landing. I sent a message via the website and got the following reply; pretty happy with the result. I do not know the value of the certificate yet.

Dear Zaynab:

Thank you for contacting us. We are very sorry to hear that the enjoyment of your flight was diminished by broken in-flight seat.
While we do all possible to ensure all equipment is functioning correctly, unexpected issues can arise and our crew members do not always have the capability to make repairs in flight.
As a gesture of goodwill, we've sent you a transportation voucher. It may be used towards the purchase of a ticket on American or American Eagle within 12 months from the date of issue. You will receive the Voucher by Regular Mail soon.
We hope to welcome you aboard soon. Zaynab, we will do our best to see that your next trip is pleasant and trouble free.

Sincerely,
Old May 25, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Date: May 19, 2013
AAdvantage Status: PLT
Fare class: O

JFK-LHR was supposed to be operated by a 77W but downgraded to a 772, and the flight was delayed ~3 hours. After arriving, I received a proactive email from AAdvantage saying that they had credited 5,000 miles as compensation for the delay. I sent another complaint email about the (mechanical) delay and downgrade, and got another 5,000. So, 10,000 total miles for a 3 hours delay, way better than I expected.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
4 hr delay, 1 damaged & 1 delayed bag

I flew #2193 May 17 DFW-LIM. flight kept getting hour and then 30 minute mechanical delays. finally arrive LIM 4 hours late. One of my bags had the wheel broken off and the other one never made the flight at all from DFW. got 5000 mile email next morning for the delay , The problem I have is the broken bag has to be returned to the airport which is over an hour each way. I sent an email to AA Saturday asking for $$ comp and no reply yet. I have over 7 extra hours spent that are AA fault. what should I get? I am only Plat now
Old May 28, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
If you open a claim, they should pick up a bag from you. At least they did it for me in London a couple of years ago. My bag was severely damaged so they admitted their fault.
Last time I had to deal with them a few months ago a wheel cracked. They actually managed to do it while the bag was checked at the gate on a short Eagle flight. Anyways, they refused the liability and cited they're not responsible for the wheels (interesting, am I supposed to take the wheels off?). Luckily it was a Victorinox so their local representative took the bag and replaced the wheel.
Old May 30, 2013, 5:15 am

AA 846 09-MAY-2013 9:50pm - MIA-DCA ... Left two hours behind STD

Wrote to customer service via AA.com

They got back to me after ten days and provided a $100 voucher
Old May 30, 2013, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
AA 2462 LAX - DFW

Power ports were flickering on and off in several seats. Sent AA an FYI with the tail number so they could look into it. Didn't ask for anything but got 10k miles from AA.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:44 pm

Compensation for canceled flight

Hello, my flight last week to Montreal (4463) got canceled when I reached JFK.

They rebooked me on AC the next morning and gave me transfer (JFK-LGA) and a night's accommodation at (an extremely rundown) Fairfield (they originally only offered transfer with no accommodation until I insisted).

Anyway, I was wondering if it is fair to ask AA to pay for my hotel night at Montreal that was lost as a result of the flight cancellation, as well as the baggage fees AC charged me (I get 2 free as a OW Ruby).

If its fair, can anyone enlighten me the best way to get compensated? Also, can I still get miles (CX) for the segment on AC as per my original itinerary?

Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The hotel doubtful, the baggage fees maybe, the miles you should have asked for ORC at the time so probably no.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have no passenger protections in the USA, and in its unilateral contract of carriage AA does not offer any compensation (it doesn't even guarantee when it will get you at your destination), so what you got is what you got. You can ask for more, but you have no rights.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Or you could just suck it up.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:10 pm

you got a hotel room, even if not as nice as where you'd planned. i don't see how you are out of pocket for a hotel any more than if you'd gone ahead and arrived on time and stayed there. still would have spent the money.
you could ask for original routing credit via the online form for missing mileage credit (or call aa) but the baggage thing seems kind of sketchy. if you get cancelled to an airline with no status, i dont think AA owes you to be treated at AA's cost with the elite services AA gives you, on the other airline you were moved to. I'd just thankful you got there and let the whole thing go.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You do not mention the reason for cancellation, weather or mechanical, this might make a difference in getting the baggage fee reimbursed. The original mileage, you need to contact AA to get it. The lost hotel night, well, that is pushing it.

I presume you purchased an advance fee room, discounted and prepaid, with no cancellation policy, correct? I also presume this trip is not part of a "package deal" that was purchased through AA.com or other method, flight and hotel. I also presume that you did not purchase travel insurance, correct? You certainly saved some money doing it this way, right? So why AA has to compensate you?

Had you purchased a full hotel rate, you still had the option to cancel it, provided you had the time to call. If this where a package deal (flight and hotel) you might have some options, and finally, if you purchased insurance, you could have been covered. You opted not to do any of this.

What if on your way to JFK you had a flat tire, resulting in you arriving 2 hours late and missing your connection. Who is responsible for this, the tire manufacturer, car manufacturer, the county where you where driving?

Be thankful that you got to your destination.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
Wow, roughly put replies. To answer the op's question:

If its fair, can anyone enlighten me the best way to get compensated?
If booked through AA, the best way to get compensated is logging a complaint through customer relations at http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewCont...omer+Relations . As everybody hinted at lightly, there's a chance you will get your baggage fees, but who knows. Good luck!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Basic answer is that AA got you to your destination so it owed and owes OP nothing by way of compensation (unless the cancellation was within AA's control, e.g., MX.) Anything AA got or gets is a CS gesture and no more.

OP got a hotel room and transfer voucher. Consequential damages (room @ Montreal) are never covered. ORC is generally available. Best time to ask is from the agent doing the rebooking, but OP can submit online too.

As to the room @ Montreal, starting point is OP's own travel insurance. But, to be fair, I've never had a hotel in a major city refuse to at least provide a credit for later use or somesuch when I've called immediately and explained that there is a flight cancellation. If OP didn't call, it's going to be hard to retroactively extract that from the property.

So, AA will have all of OP's details. I would focus on a short complaint which stays away from not liking the room decor of the Fairfield and focuses on the hotel room. OP won't get reimbursed for it, but may get a few miles or a small voucher.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Originally Posted by dfwgolfer1
Wow, roughly put replies.
I agree. Tough crowd today. If this was mechanical or something within AA's control, I think AA should have to pay for reasonable expenses incurred as a result of its failure. Whether they have to pay or will pay is a different story. At the very least, you might get some bonus miles (but this would only be in AA's program not your OW alliance airline).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.