Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Ratatoskr
Thank you for the detailed reply, Often1. Regarding point 1, yes, that's what I would have expected, thanks for clarifying. Point 2 is interesting, thanks for that info. I did not have any sentimental feelings for that bag whatsoever - a new bag would actually be more than I would have expected, I would be pretty happy with that. I'll see what they say. Agreed on the booking issue. I might consider making that a separate email, not formulated as a complaint but simply for information purposes - I think it would be desirable that they look into what went wrong so it doesn't happen again for future customers. But first I'll see how they deal with the bag issue. Thanks everybody for your help!
When you file the complaint about the bag, keep it short and to the the point. "It took 4 days to get my bag and it was ruined."

If you do a follow up on the booking snafus, again keep it short and to the point.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
If unable to get cash compensation/new bag, why not try for a travel voucher in lieu of miles? You'd be limited to spending it on AA but at least you could credit the flights to your BA account.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:00 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Date: 24 May 2013
AAdvantage Status: EXP
Fare class: Q
What happened: Tried to book a flight from LGA > LAS using a promotional code. Found a great fare, and went to input my information. After the payment screen the transaction produced an error, and the system wouldn't let me book the ticket. I got on the phone with AA.com Web Services, and spent over 90 minutes trying to figure out what went wrong. The agent insisted it was my desktop, but i was able to reproduce the error on an iPad and iPhone. Ultimately, the agent claimed that the fare was no longer available, even though it was showing on their site. She gave me the fare, without allowing me the promo code as it could only be used on the website. She also waived the telephone booking fee, but I thought this wasn't an issue for EXPs traveling on their own itinerary.
Compensation: $50 eVoucher to cover the discount I lost out on (~$12) and for wasting my time trying to diagnose my devices instead of their website.
Comments: It was totally inexcusable and the webmaster acknowledged as much in his response, which came a couple of days ago. Despite this, this will prolly be considered "my least substantive complaint."

Last edited by uxb; Jun 10, 2013 at 12:41 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
AA will most likely replace the bag, but you'll get nothing else. When you realized that the bag was delayed, did you request/receive some cash to buy essentials?
Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Do you have insurance to cover the damaged bag? The insurance would then pay out to replace the bag and for the purchase of clothes and other items you'd need while your baggage had been missing. The insurer would then take the hassle of trying to recover some of their costs from AA.

As has already been mentioned its impossible to get Avios from AA. It's even, in my experience, impossible to get Iberia to provide compensation Avios to a BA account, because even though BA and IB are owned by the same company and call their miles Avios BAEC is still separate to Iberia Plus.

So if IB can't do it AA definitely can't.

If you're UK based (guessing because of BAEC membership) and AA offer you miles compensation (and no alternative) then it might still be worth having. Take advantage of the sign up offer from the UK AAdvantage credit card from MBNA and you'll have enough miles for a small redemption.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: FB Silver
Thanks for the thoughts. If they replace the bag, I'd already be quite happy with that. I've written a short (as recommended, even though not quite as short as that, bdemaria ) complaint yesterday and will see what comes. If they offer me anything on top of that I'll gladly take it, but given the opinions here will not expect it. With the suggestion made by you guys I'm sure I could make a use of it. I am indeed UK-based, but hopefully would even find some use for some miles if that's what they offer me.

I did not request or receive anything to cover essentials - it was only a short extended stopover to visit a friend anyway, and all I needed for that fit into the hand baggage - apart from the sanitary products, for which I did not feel like going through the hassle of putting everything into less-than-100ml-containers. Being able to use my friend's stuff, the only thing I actually needed to buy was a toothbrush, luckily, and I did not want to make a fuss for 2 or 3 dollars.

I did have travel insurance - not sure it covered the broken bag, but thanks for the hint, browserden - I might give that a try if I get nothing out of AA.

Last edited by Ratatoskr; Jun 9, 2013 at 9:00 pm Reason: Realised that my thread got consolidated into the general one and adapted my reply appropriately.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AA CK, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Platinum
Experts - I need your advice. I will try to be brief... I'm mainly asking what my best course of action is to seek compensation.

I'm a PLATINUM member, about to hit 50,000 EQP this year (3 Europe trips from DFW).

I flew Business Class to England in May. My return journey was MAN-LHR-DFW. MAN-LHR was an AA flight number, operated by BA. Despite a planned 3-hour layover at LHR, BA made me miss my connection. Collection of fails: the LHR-MAN aircraft was late, presumably from the operational delays that happened with the diverted flight to Heathrow the day prior. They kept us standing in line for over an hour before finally coming to tell us that the aircraft had an Engine Fault, and was delayed indefinitely. As we got back to the lounge, they were boarding (go figure). We were ready to go, but someone decided not to travel, and they took 20+ minutes to pull his bags off the aircraft (maybe if BA had been more communicative, this individual wouldn't have bailed).

We landed at LHR, but had to wait 20+ minutes for an arrival crew to push stairs up to the aircraft (no jet bridge at this "gate"). Inside Terminal 5, no one could tell me if my AA LHR-DFW flight had left or not. It didn't show departed... it didn't show waiting to depart... it wasn't on the board at all. They told us to go to Terminal 3 to see. After that pain, and clearing through security, we learned it had left. The AA desk wouldn't re-book us... "BA made you late, so it's their fault... go to their desk". So much for the One World Alliance... The BA desk took over 30 minutes, and finally booked us on an LHR-JFK flight, overnight, then LGA-DFW the next morning.

After arriving at JFK, we waited on bags for nearly an hour, until they stopped the carousel. It took another 45 minutes to get through the luggage incident report. The BA Agent gave us hotel vouchers for some dive near LGA (didn't bother mentioning they only had smoking rooms available). They ran out of car vouchers, so we had to pay $40 for a taxi, with a claim that BA will reimburse if I mail them the receipt. The hotel was terrible, and we had to turn around in 4 hours to catch the LGA-DFW flight.

I got to DFW 15 hours later than I should have, and only by enduring the absolute mess of JFK/LGA. I got one bag 4 days later (several items missing), and the other 5 days after that (intact).

Normally I would just complain to AA Customer Service, expecting some miles or a voucher, but I have a feeling they'll say that this is all BA's fault. I am US-based, so I don't know what to seek for compensation, or what I might be eligible for. All I know is that this was the most stressful travel experience I've ever endured.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:49 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by giants_fan
Normally I would just complain to AA Customer Service, expecting some miles or a voucher, but I have a feeling they'll say that this is all BA's fault. I am US-based, so I don't know what to seek for compensation, or what I might be eligible for. All I know is that this was the most stressful travel experience I've ever endured.

Thank you for your thoughts!
It does seem pretty legit (your claim), but it is BA's fault, so you may be better of asking on the BA board as they will be more familiar with what to expect from BA. While I do agree that AA could/should have been more helpful, I don't think that their lack is really "compensatable."

Cheers.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: aa, spg
Late May flight JFK to LAX
No stAAtus at all, just lots of miles from Citi
Economy
Mechanical issues caused a three hour delay
$150 voucher

Thanks to everyone here, I would not even have known to ask if not for this thread. Now, what do I do with the voucher??
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:08 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by zilberbrand
Late May flight JFK to LAX
No stAAtus at all, just lots of miles from Citi
Economy
Mechanical issues caused a three hour delay
$150 voucher

Thanks to everyone here, I would not even have known to ask if not for this thread. Now, what do I do with the voucher??
Uhh... book a flight, or give it to someone that will book a flight. Cheers!
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:04 pm

Vegetarian Meals

Spent 350K AA miles for First class, BOM_IAH for my parents and requested Vegetarian Meals. They didn't get them. . Have a confirmation on Entrée Reservatio​ns aa.com. "We will do our best to accommodate your request but there may be circumstances that prevent us from fulfilling your selection."

My parents are non complainers and ate bread/butter

What, if anything , should I ask for compensation? Best way to contact AA for this? or just suck it up like my parents..

Last edited by vickh; Jun 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
2013 Guide to, and listing of, compensation

...and...

Contact American

...specifically...

Email AA Customer Relations
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:35 pm

The FAs should have been able to cobble something together beyond bread and butter. Appetizers, side dishes, bread with cheese, etc.

What route did they take? Which segment / airline was the problem?

Can't hurt to complain to customer relations.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the one hand, I'd be very disappointed if I didn't get the meal I'd requested (fortunately for me, I'm a meat-eater and it's rare that I don't get the meal I want in F or J).

On the other hand, it's just airplane food - the real benefit for your parents were those Flagship Suites between NRT and DFW(?), ensuring a good night's sleep.

What's it worth? 10k miles, IMO.

I'm also surprised that there weren't any veggies/starches to go with the First Class meals nor were there any pastas or other non-meat items in either F or J meals that the FAs could have cobbled together for your parents. Fruit and Cheese plates, ice cream? On occasion, I've eaten a meal of bread and butter and wine.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:52 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
In intl F class often there is no "vegetarian meal" but there is a vegetarian choice; e.g., When ordering for friends, I was told by AA that there were no vegetarian meals on flights to South America, but they found that there was a pasta option that had no meat served in Biz class.

It is likely that your parents did not know the difference and were unable to recover from this irregularity once the "vegetarian meal" was not found.

Certainly 10k is OK; If the whole trip was say 90k, 10k for the food seems reasonable.

The problem often is that if you do not tell the purser of FA at once after boarding, the option often gets ordered by someone else and you have no choices left for you. AA and UA have been great for us at getting the issue fixed, if we tell them as soon as we board for special meals.

In one instance my friends ordered Veg meals and after getting on board fell asleep on a 6 AM BWI-SFO UA flight. The FA came to serve them first ad finding them asleep, served the others this choice (or so she claimed later).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.